Sign in to follow this  
headborg

Star Trek: Into the Darkness (SPOILERS!)

Anyone want to discuss this one or just collectively try to forget it happened...??? Once again it started off just fine only without a great Star Trek Moment ( Kirk's Father sacrificing himself so his wife, son & crew would survive)-- was going just fine until we discover one of the "bad guys" is Khan... then it seems the writers ran out of new ideas -- I really didn't enjoy the role reversals and basic new spin on Wrath of Khan ( done badly ). Did anyone else notice the Data like Android on the bridge? Guess we have positronics real early now, along with weapons that can fire while in warp fields. Oh, and as I said years ago-- I kinda like the new sets-- including the chrome speed boat throttle. Only now, the effects of jumping to warp is way way too comic-- like the road runner ..beep..beep... And although the whirlwind transporter effects are better than the 1960s-- they should have stuck with the classic Trek Movie effects of the splitting & separating light beams...

I am going to see the movie today, weather perem

Anyone want to discuss this one or just collectively try to forget it happened...??? Once again it started off just fine only without a great Star Trek Moment ( Kirk's Father sacrificing himself so his wife, son & crew would survive)-- was going just fine until we discover one of the "bad guys" is Khan... then it seems the writers ran out of new ideas -- I really didn't enjoy the role reversals and basic new spin on Wrath of Khan ( done badly ). Did anyone else notice the Data like Android on the bridge? Guess we have positronics real early now, along with weapons that can fire while in warp fields. Oh, and as I said years ago-- I kinda like the new sets-- including the chrome speed boat throttle. Only now, the effects of jumping to warp is way way too comic-- like the road runner ..beep..beep... And although the whirlwind transporter effects are better than the 1960s-- they should have stuck with the classic Trek Movie effects of the splitting & separating light beams...

I am going to see the movie today, weather permitting. I will let you know what I think if I have time. I stand by my comments on the previous film, but did find out who the bad guy was through looking at various interviews and reviews.It made me curious as to what they were going to do. For some reason they do not have a lot of respect for the original Star Trek.

I enjoyed the movie a lot but I kind of wish they would stop rehashing old TOS stories and write some new ones.

I knew it was Khan because some idiot on Facebook in England posted it. In spite of that, and my disappointment that they were "re-using" a villain, I was pleasantly surprised with Khan's attitude in sickbay - even tears! Not at all what I expected! I loved Benedict Cumberbatch's performance, too.

The "radiation" scene in the engine room, with Kirk's and Spock's roles reversed, caused me to think "Oh, come on, REALLY???" As it continued, though, I was shocked by Spock's reactions, and thought "OMG where is this going? I was NOT expecting THAT!!!"

I'm still not liking the sets, or Scotty's "Get down!" buddy, too much, but I'll get used to them eventually.

Although I was a little disappointed with the re-doing of "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan", I'll probably see it as a reasonable thing to do for this movie, since there's bound to be both similarities and differences in how the characters' lives and adventures work out with this "alternative timeline" Star Trek.

Basically, I loved Star Trek Into Darkness (and Spock/Uhura!), in spite of my various general issues, and in spite of the spoilers I saw.

Canon is completely out the window... I mean TOS Kirk had an older brother named SAM. I see no way that the sudden time shift could have altered this & there was no subsequent mention of having a brother. The writers in the first movie could have wrote him in as not being on the Kelvin (on Earth under the care of Nannies??) or they could have killed him on-board ( The did neither ) The new version- completely omits SAM.

In the original Star Trek-- Kirk's best academy friend was Gary Mitchell, other figures were Mallory, Benjamin Finney and Finnegan. The absence of these can be explained by the change in time, either linear or string-theory. But at this point in the writing there remains no logical explanation for the absence of an older brother.

One solution would be to introduce SAM back-in as a half-brother from a different mother. Perhaps even weave a story of Kirk's mother & father never knowing about this child- a product from a old academy fling of his fathers to which the girl never told Kirk of her pregnancy . Our new Kirk would then have to deal with discovering he wasn't his Hero-father's first born.

I saw the movie in 3D the first night and thought the special effects were impressive, though I wasn't that impressed with the warp effect. There was certainly lots of action. Not as many lens flares, though still more than I would prefer.

I guess I expected something different and original. After changing the time line, I got the impression that the writers and director wanted to be able to go off in new directions. The terrorism theme was certainly an attempt, but throwing Khan into the mix diluted that theme in my opinion. I felt the lack of explanation of the creation of Supermen (Eugenics War) to be a plot weakness. The militarism of Star Fleet has certainly been addressed in various series. It seemed unlikely that a secret construction base for massive ships wouldn't be guarded, or better guarded. Wouldn't the blood of other superman be as powerful or healing as that of Khan's? Is the invasion of Klingon space to be addressed in the next movie? If so, why not at least mention some kind of reaction at the end of this film when such a big deal was made of it earlier? I like the first Abrams movie a bit better than this, though some changes (blowing up Vulcan!) still bother me.

Into Darkness will certainly be popular for its relentless action, special effects, and appealing young characters. I think the new fans (or neo ST fans) will really like this movie, as will some longtime fans. I just wish there was more originality, or that things were a bit better done as far as the plot and backstory went. If you're not going to be original, why redo something that past fans appreciated and liked?

I was also annoyed that absolutely no explanation of Khan was offered. An uninformed movie goer has no idea who Khan is or where he came from.

I am glad they skipped over all that unnecessary origins exposition, and the regular movie goers don't seem to mind one bit. It seems it tells them all they need to know.

I would have thought that a little more background on Khan would have added to the movie. My only real criticism is I wish Khan had a more rugged, savage type look. He looked more like my dentist than a bad guy, but I still just loved the show.

Well the original Khan on TOS episode- didn't run around like a superman commando-- he was played like a Gentleman Prince that was suppose to possess superior intelligence. This new time line suggests they never launched aboard a sleeper-ship the Botany Bay or the Botany Bay had already been located & boarded and it's crew revived. Just another stab at canceling out the old canon- time line. Perhaps the next star trek movie will focus or work on stopping the Voyager Probe before it falls through a warm hole - thus destroying the plot of the original Star Trek The Motion Picture then they can destroy the Planet of Peace or do something with the Great Barrier ( Oh wait, I guess Spock's older half-brother Sybot was killed on Vulcan with 99% of all Vulcans.

I really would like to see them do some totally original stuff, not just remake old TOS stories. That is, if they continue to even MAKE any more movies. The movie isn't doing too well box office wise......

Well the original Khan on TOS episode- didn't run around like a superman commando-- he was played like a Gentleman Prince that was suppose to possess superior intelligence. This new time line suggests they never launched aboard a sleeper-ship the Botany Bay or the Botany Bay had already been located & boarded and it's crew revived. Just another stab at canceling out the old canon- time line. Perhaps the next star trek movie will focus or work on stopping the Voyager Probe before it falls through a warm hole - thus destroying the plot of the original Star Trek The Motion Picture then they can destroy the Planet of Peace or do something with the Great Barrier ( Oh wait, I guess Spock's older half-brother Sybot was killed on Vulcan with 99% of all Vulcans.

You are right about the TV episode, I really liked his pre-Steven Segal combed back hair and pony tail. I was thinking more in lines with the movie.

I don't understand why young Spock asked Original Spock how they defeated Khan in their timeline. The circumstances were completely different. How would that help him?

Now that you mention that, I was thinking the same thing. I can only assume young Spock does not know how the time line is affected or it was just away to get old Spock in the movie.

I just saw the movie today and I absolutely loved it. I loved how they were throwing bones to us poor Deep Space Nine whipping boys by including Section 31 in the story! Hey, and wasn't Martok from someplace called "Ketha Lowlands?" Was that also a reference to DS9? Maybe I'm crazy. But anytime that someone shows they actually know about the stuff that was on my favorite Trek series, I'm all in. Woot!

I loved how they gave just about every cast member some great screen time and made them integral to the plot. I thought new Kahn was way cool. In fact, I think all the new characters are better than their original counterparts! GASP! Oh, the sacrilege! LOL!

I don't care if Abrams goes back and reworks every major episode ... he can do whatever he wants with my blessing. I cannot wait to see what he does to FIX Star Wars, another great franchise that only gets truly GREAT when its original creator gets out of the way IMHO.

I am not yet convinced this crew is better than the original. How ever I do love the show and feel it will end up being #2 or #3 on my Star Trek movie list.