Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Star Trek Online and canon universe A

So I've been playing Star Trek Online lately and I've spent some of that time reading up on the new lore. With the fact that there most likely won't be a new TV show for at least a few years do you think the lore in the game could be canon?

For it to achieve a status of 'Canon' will, imo, require TPTB to declare it so and I don't think they would want to do that because doing so would be a proclamation of no new Original Universe Canon ever being produced again. Leaving it ambiguous keeps people hanging on with hope.

TBTB = The Powers That Be, people in control of Star Trek.

For purpose of message boards, like StarTrekFans, canon refers to the Official Body of works - all 'live action series and films'.

Tie-ins like novels, comics, games*, etc, aren't official canon which for us means we cannot use events in them as 'official' in conversation. If a topic is being discussed and someone brings up a non-canon event to try to solve some question regarding anything in the canon then it doesn't count.

Since Star Trek XI moved us into a new timeline, novels, comics and the online video game; Star Trek Online have continued creating new stories in the Original Timeline and here Capt_Picard is asking for opinions on whether TBTB should declare those works "canon".

(*I heard somewhere the upcoming STID video game tie-in will be considered canon.)