Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Hemsworth Proposed To Star In Whale Tale

Hemsworth0119121.gif

Star Trek XI‘s Chris Hemsworth is set to star in In The Heart of the Sea, which is currently making the rounds of the studios.

Based on the National Book Award-winning book of the same name, In the Heart of the Sea was written by Nathaniel Philbrick. Herman Melville‘s classic Moby Dick was inspired by this tale.’

In The Heart Of The Sea is based on the true story of the Essex, a Nantucket whaling ship which “was stalked and ultimately destroyed by a sperm whale in 1820. Stranded thousands of miles from home, the crew struggled to survive; they were lost at sea for ninety days. Eight [survivors] were rescued.”

Written by Charles Leavitt and produced by Joe Roth, Paula Weinstein, Will Ward and Palak Patel, In The Heart of the Sea has sparked interest by DreamWorks, as well as other studios.

View the full article

"In the Heart of the Sea was written by Nathaniel Philbrick. Herman Melville‘s classic Moby Dick was inspired by this tale." Actually, Moby Dick was written more than a century before this ripoff. So, in other words, not only is Hollywood out of fresh ideas, but "writers" like philbrick are too and feel the need to make money by ripping off an American classic like Moby Dick. How truly tasteless. Just sad that the only way to earn accolades is to ripoff the talents of others. I can't wait for the this one to be an epic fail at the box office like all the other ripoffs and remakes. :roflmao:

"In the Heart of the Sea was written by Nathaniel Philbrick. Herman Melville‘s classic Moby Dick was inspired by this tale." Actually, Moby Dick was written more than a century before this ripoff. So, in other words, not only is Hollywood out of fresh ideas, but "writers" like philbrick are too and feel the need to make money by ripping off an American classic like Moby Dick. How truly tasteless. Just sad that the only way to earn accolades is to ripoff the talents of others. I can't wait for the this one to be an epic fail at the box office like all the other ripoffs and remakes. :roflmao:

Perhaps it's not worded completely correctly but what they're saying is true.

In the Heart of the Sea is about the sinking of the Essex in 1819. It's told from the perspective of the cabin boy Thomas Nickerson (who was 14 at the time). Apparently the notebook he wrote while on board was found in 1960 and that's what the book was based on.

Additionally, the first mate of the Essex, Owen Chase, also wrote an account of the sinking of the Essex called "Narrative of the Most Extraordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whale-Ship Essex". This was published in 1821 and inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick in 1851.

So basically, this movie is about the true event on which Moby Dick was based.

Don't know why I went to all this trouble. I really have no interest in seeing this.

In the Heart of the Sea is about the sinking of the Essex in 1819. It's told from the perspective of the cabin boy Thomas Nickerson (who was 14 at the time). Apparently the notebook he wrote while on board was found in 1960 and that's what the book was based on.

Additionally, the first mate of the Essex, Owen Chase, also wrote an account of the sinking of the Essex called "Narrative of the Most Extraordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whale-Ship Essex". This was published in 1821 and inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick in 1851.

Don't know why I went to all this trouble. I really have no interest in seeing this.

Based loosely on it.....maybe. Still doesn't explain why Hollywood produces one ripoff and remake after another. Its their money to throw to the wind, i guess. I just know better than to throw any of mine in the direction of a film that's claim to fame is based on an alleged notebook found more than a century after Melville wrote one of the greastest pieces of literature. Its sad that talents like Melville, Shakespeare and others have become the victim of detractors of low intellect that create theories based on sporadic pieces of 'evidence' and on the speculations of the unitiated. Anyways, this new film = Mega epic fail. :superhappy:

Based loosely on it.....maybe. Still doesn't explain why Hollywood produces one ripoff and remake after another. Its their money to throw to the wind, i guess. I just know better than to throw any of mine in the direction of a film that's claim to fame is based on an alleged notebook found more than a century after Melville wrote one of the greastest pieces of literature. Its sad that talents like Melville, Shakespeare and others have become the victim of detractors of low intellect that create theories based on sporadic pieces of 'evidence' and on the speculations of the unitiated. Anyways, this new film = Mega epic fail. :superhappy:

The notebook was authenticated by experts and the sinking of the Essex is an actual historical event, which did inspire Moby Dick.

I'm not saying you have to see the movie or even that it will be any good. I'm just saying they're not lying when they make the association to Moby Dick. They're making the association to tie it to an existing brand but they're not incorrect in doing so, at least from a factual perspective.

I have kind of an interesting take on this topic. I'm a PhD candidate in Literature and i can honestly say that there is no genuine authentication regarding the notebook.The so called experts have done nothing but attempt to discredit Melville throughout their careers.Is that really being unfair and unbiased? This alleged notebook is tantamount to the alleged diary of Jack the Ripper... which is another topic but still similar in that the so called experts in that case are also trying to find a connection to something that is not truthful much like this notebook. The sinking of the Essex does not equate authenticity in any case. I personally, like the original whale story aka Moby Dick and after exhaustive academic research find no credible evidence that Melville was influenced by the notebook found. That being said, I think that this film will in all likelihood fail miserably as it is just a rehash of an American classic and nothing original is likely to be found in it. I think its a pity for Hemsworth to waste his talents on this film though too.

Coincidentally (or not), Nathaniel Philbrick wrote another book entitled "Why Read Moby Dick?" in which he insisted that Melville's influence in writing this classic was his good friend Nathaniel Hawthorne, not some alleged notebook. It seems Philbrick's own lack of writing skill is centered on writing books that in one instance praise Melville and in others confuse readers as to the writers influences. I bet Oliver Stone would love this Philbrick guy. Too bad he is nothing more than a fraud.

Melville wasn't influenced by the notebook. It wasn't found until much later.

Melville apparently based Moby Dick on the sinking of the Essex, which did happen. This movie is based on another account of that event (from the perspective of this cabin boy).