Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Windows Messenger Popups

This is a good resource to check out, it will tell you how to disable the windows messenger and prevent pop-ups from coming through your system.

Read the website for further details. (This site was made for the University of Virginia but it is valid for everyone.)

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Are you referring to regular pop-up ads that annoy you when visiting certain websites, or are you referring to the Windows Messenger pop-ups that drive anybody using Windows XP crazy? There is another website that tells you how to get rid of both: www.techtv.com.

I believe VBG is talking about the pop ups that occur on XP due to windows/msn messenger. But we'll let him confirm that!

Oh, VBG, will disabling the pop ups prevent msn messenger or windows messenger from functioning properly? I do talk to people alot with it, and wish to continue doing so. Thanks!

Oh, VBG, will disabling the pop ups prevent msn messenger or windows messenger from functioning properly?  I do talk to people alot with it, and wish to continue doing so.  Thanks!

I disabled the popups as in the link that VBG provided, and my MSN messenger is still working. :laugh:

My son disabled them from my pc this last summer during a visit from college, it is such a relief to not have those stupid messages popping up every 3 minutes! :laugh:

will disabling the pop ups prevent msn messenger or windows messenger from functioning properly?  I do talk to people alot with it, and wish to continue doing so.  Thanks!

Disabling the Windows Messenger service for Windows XP will not affect your MSN Messenger service at all. They are two separate programs.

I would suggest downloading the Google Toolbar. It has a built in pop up stopper. It's a freeware download from Google dot com.

I would suggest downloading the Google Toolbar. It has a built in pop up stopper. It's a freeware download from Google dot com.

Those are different kinds of pop-ups, the ones I posted about here work through Windows Messenger as opposed to working through your browser. For web browser pop-ups I use Pop-up Stopper Pro and when it blocks a pop-up it sounds like a bug zapper lol.

The Windows Messenger popups don't work through the same system though and totally bypass pop-up stoppers. Your Windows Messenger doesn't even have to be "on" for the pop-ups to happen either.

VBG, you are a god!!! Ever since I followed you instructions to disable the pop-up messages I haven't had a single one!!! WOO HOO!!! :lol: Flowers%202.gif