Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

How will TPTB respond to fans trying to carry on the dream?

Paramount is well within their right to sue these people, it's their show and doesn't belong to the fans. If I had a TV show and found out someone was trying to "copy" it, I'd want to sue them too. Anywho, if you clearly have a budget to recreate TOS, why not produce an original show, one that you can market and profit from?

While I completely agree with this Captain Picard, Paramount does indeed own trek, This project clearly is a not a project that is making a financial profit from Trek in any way. For many years Trek fans have written their own stories and shared them in fanzines, what we are doing is the same thing, only we are filming the story and sharing it with other fans. Their is no money being made from this, and Paramount is credited on every page of the site, and film. As fans we are simply sharing our passion with all other Trek fans, This is how fandom used to be. No one involved in this Project has any disrespect for Paramount or Trek and their respective rights, This really is a tribute to all of them for all the great enjoyment they have given us. We are also trying to help these kids go to college, in the name of all TREK fans worldwide, seems to me a very positive thing for paramount, Trek, and all Trek fans in general.

Good luck on the project.

Its just too bad,Paramount isn't going to see this as an "innocent" not-for-profit venture.Whether money is made or not,they will stop at nothing to end this project before it can get rolling.They've done similar things before with fan-inspired projects.

"Paramount is well within their right to sue these people, it's their show and doesn't belong to the fans. If I had a TV show and found out someone was trying to "copy" it, I'd want to sue them too."

"Good luck on the project.  Its just too bad,Paramount isn't going to see this as an "innocent" not-for-profit venture. Whether money is made or not,they will stop at nothing to end this project before it can get rolling.They've done similar things before with fan-inspired projects"

Then why haven't they stopped the one that they are going to feature in the next issue of Star Trek Communicator? That project is even selling copies of thier film on DVD...

It's too bad that some people seem to get hung up on this issue. Those of us involved have had many conversations internally on this subject even more so since we started telling the world what we were up to.

Why would anyone want to be so negaive about seeing something they love as much as we do? Why do some refuse to open their eyes and minds and at least give it a try?

Then again, we always seem to end on the same note in our conversations on this topic. We just might be doing something right in TOS fashion as we seem to be making people think and stir their emotions one way or the other.

I feel a plot line for a new episode of New Voyages dealing with this subject ... got to start taking some notes

Well,maybe because the Star Trek Communicator and that "other" project have Paramounts blessings....ever think about that?

We're not being negative.We are trying to let you know that we think your project is cool,and that we'd hate to see you steamrolled by Paramount's lawyers.If we didn't like your project we wouldn't bother to say anything at all.

Edited by therabidirishman

The other project does not have any official paramount backing, nor does any of the other Trek fan made films, I know this as a matter of fact, I am very happy that all of you are interested enough to discuss this, Thanks for all input.

Contrary to what other people are saying, I don't think Paramount will really have that big of a problem if it is a non-profit thing for fun. Yeesh, lighten up everyone. I wish you luck with this project, and I hope it is as fulfilling as it sounds to be. Can't wait to see some episodes.

ps. those special effects look great.

I agree. I bet Paramount doesn't care too much about what they probably see as just a bit of fan fiction. If anyone seeks to profit from it, it's the blood-sucking lawyers.

I did some rethinking on this, and here's my conclussion:

Star Trek is property of Paramount Pictures, a Viacom company. With that said, doing a 4th season would be a form of copying. Since Star Trek is under copyright, and since this "4th season" is a form of copying, well... what they're doing is very illegal. Something to think about before downloading.

Well Captain picard,

You are also breaking the copyright laws by using that copyrighted name, all the fan films are breaking the law, all use elements of trek, names, characters, ship design etc. all Trek Fan Fiction, written or filmed is illegal, no one is making any kind of profit, from any of these projects, we do it for fun, and the love of Trek. lighten up, none of this is hurting you.

Well Captain picard,

You are also breaking the copyright laws by using that copyrighted name, all the fan films are breaking the law, all use elements of trek, names, characters, ship design etc. all Trek Fan Fiction, written or filmed is illegal, no one is making any kind of profit, from any of these projects, we do it for fun, and the love of Trek. lighten up, none of this is hurting you.

Using the name is not violating copyrights, unless I name something Star Trek. Fan fiction is not against copyright laws as long as they aren't published. No harm in writing a story. Now, if one decides to recreate Star Trek or do a series or film based on the franchise, then this is breaking copyright law. Doesn't matter if you make one darn cent. The moment you distribute that first episode over the internet, you have broken copyright law and have engaged in illegal activities. "Lighten up?" Try telling the court system that.

I've rethought my position,too.

I was a bit hasty a week ago.Maybe Paramount won't go bananas over this.Afterall,nobody is making a dime off of this.Does Paramount sue the fans who attend conventions in Trek garb?Does Paramount sick their lawyers on people who write and share fanfic on their Internet sites?No.

So,I say go for it.I watched the Exeter film earlier today and it rocked.I see the same potential in the 4th season series.Full speed ahead,Jorel.

:klingon:

P.S. Captain Picard,it's not as if these fan films are going to draw sooo many viewers away from Enterprise that Paramount will be hurt financially.That's just silly.No fan is going to give up their weekly fix of Ent' for a fan film.Like me,they will probably enjoy each with relish,and greedily wait for more. :laugh:

Well Captain,

My opion differs with yours, the name Captain Jean luc picard is copyrighted by Paramount if they don't want you to use it they could stop you. Fan stories are copyright infringement, they are not just stories, in case you have been lost for nearly thirty years fan trek sories have been published in fanzines and sold, and they are currently distributed over the internet. Technically, any one using anything connected to trek for their own enjoyment like this is copyright infrigement, If you read the letter of the law. Fandom is just that Fans celebrating their favorite thing, yeah maybe you dont think Fanfilms are legal, there are a few of them out there, some have been around for years, they are merely another form of enjoying one's favorite hobby, a little more creatively.

Wisdom:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

What does that have to do with violating copyright laws?

Did you get permission from paramount to use that image or "likeness" of Jean-Luc Picard in your avatar? If not, and I'm assuming you haven't, then you have stolen intellectual property. BTW, let us see evidence before you try to claim you have. I'm not casting stones or making any waves.

If you have a disclaimer saying that "Star Trek is created by Gene Roddenberry and the property of Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company," then you might not be violating copyright laws.

This site features the following at the bottom of the main page:

Star Trek, Star Trek: The Animated Series Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Enterprise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: Nemesis and related properties are Registered Trademarks of Paramount Pictures registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. All original images are copyright © Paramount Pictures. No infringement of Paramount's copyrights is intended.

Well Captain,

If you check out the website for new voyages you will see, that a very similar disclaimer appears on every page, there is a pop up available if you click on it. Paramount is given credit, that it is their property, and no infringment is intended.

Sigh...

I can't believe this is going on this far.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm going to temporarily close this topic. (Not permanently though because people might want to post their opinions on New Voyages in the future.)

So for now, "that's all folks!"

Edited by bysty

What's the point of carrying on the argument against fan produced films?Obviously an overwhelming majority of us do not have a problem with it,and several of us have posted good arguments against the naysayers position that law suits will be forthcoming.Yet,certain people,or a certain person,just keeps rattling the lawsuit saber.I don't want to be mean,but...and you know who you are....Nobody Cares!We like the fan films!We want more.There will be more!End of discussion! :angry:

Nope, disclaimer only applies to certain websites with permission. For example, vbg or myself at my own board have disclaimers meaning anything that is written on this board is the responceableity of that one user who posts it. Like this post you have posted, you are responceable for this post, not the moderator or admin of the site. It also means that no site cannot make episode (fanmade) and use it characters from the show. Also T'Pol was meant to be T'Pau, but changed to T'Pol because the owner of the name T'Pau rejected the permission so they cannot use it.

Edited by Tattoo

It's not about Paramount being worried, it's about breaking the law. :lol:

Captain, I respect your opinion, but I am not sure if I agree with it or not. I don't think that we should base our actions strictly upon the law. Sometimes the law can be wrong.

A philosopher named Korlberg identified six stages of moral development.

Stage 1: Obedience and punishment orientation. said that the individual is motivated by avoidance of punishments. For example, the individual does not commit a crime so that he does not go to jail. The criticism with this stage, which is the lowest, is that an act might be deemed wrong because it is punishable or because an authority figure says it is wrong.

Looking at the problem of fan films, we know that it is punishable, but just because it is against the law doesn't mean it is wrong.

There are 3 general stakeholders in this scenario: Paramount, the makers of the fan films, and the audiences.

Since is it unlikely that Paramount will lose any kind of sizeable revenue based on the assumption that anyone who watches such fan fiction would be so into Star Trek that they would not pass up the real thing. Paramount as a stakeholder thus has nothing to lose (according to the assumption). The makers of the fan films gain something by creating these fan films which is a creative outlet. The audience also gains entertainment.

So in a sense it would be wrong for the law to prevent these films from being made as they are not hurting anyone, and produce good results, not negative ones.

However, the law still exists. It is for the film makers to decide if they should break the law and risk the consequences. Since they do risk such consequences (for a good cause) it is not likely that they are not in Stage 1 of moral development. It is quite possible that they actually belong to Stage 6: Conscience or Principle Orientation.

As I stated in another thread concerning this subject, I'm sure Jorel, cawlevent and all other persons involved in this fan film discussed the legalities of the issue before undertaking a project of this magnitude. Judging from what I see on their website and the trailer, these people must be very intelligent to create such an awesome project, so they must know what they are doing and what the consequences may or may not be. I, for one, am ecstatic that they are bringing my heroes back to life, and plan on downloading and viewing every single episode of New Voyages as soon as they are available. If the worst case scenario does indeed come to pass, I'll be glad to donate to their legal fund as well. Live long and prosper New Voyages!!!

I just hope you guys don't get slammed with a law suit by Paramount.  I'd watch it if it weren't in violation with copyright laws.  Good luck.

Stardate:21444.9

:P :wow::grin:

I for one am looking forward to them.