Sign in to follow this  
Son_worshiper

70 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Recently astronomers shocked the scientific community by calculating that there are approximately 70 sextillion stars in the known universe.This means that there are ten times as many stars in the universe (at least) as there are grains of sand on every beach and desert on our entire planet.

70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars.

Now,if even a mere one-percent of these stars had planets,and one-percent of those stars with planets contained a world where life developed,and again,if of those "living" worlds,a single-percent harbored intelligent life....that's still untold tens of thousands of civilizations like our own.Boggles the mind. :klingon:

Just thought I'd share this bit of information.I only just read about it today myself,and was fascinated by it all.

Edited by Son_worshiper

I heard about this finding a few months ago.I've wondered how in the world,those astronomers came by there figures.I'm not disputing them,just a little curious as to what method(s) they used to calculate the stars.Hmmm :klingon:

Stardate:213814.9

WOW thats alot of stars.Im curious how they figured that out as well

Wow. That is so cool! I'm sending this to a bunch off friends that don't believe other intellegent life is possible. I even a have non-moon-landing believer who I'll have to send this to.

:klingon: That is so cool. someone very clever must have figured that out, imagine the size of the calculation. As Mr Spock would say fascinating :laugh:

Cool just imagine how much intelegent life is out there. I hope i am stiil alive when we make first contact with one or some of them.

:lol:

Stardate:213814.9

WOW thats alot of stars.Im curious how they figured that out as well

Either alot of calculations, or some serious night time hours by a few hundred interns.

Sure, one percent of one percent of one percent of one percent of one percent of 70 sextillion stars, means that there's life out there somewhere. We haven't discovered them, and they haven't discovered us, yet. There will be the time that we will come face to face with extraterrestrial life; unfortunately, it won't be in my lifetime. Our universe is way too large not to harbor additional lifeforms. We would have to be crazy to believe that we were the only ones here, in this universe.

As for counting those numbers, astronomers will take a small area of sky and count the stars. (Some of those stars are actually galaxies, and guesstimate the amount in each galaxy.) Then multiply the number of small areas by that number and come up with a fairly accurate guesstimate. An error of a hundred million either way, would be close enough for government work.

However, it's lunch time and I'm off to get one of those 70 sextillion hamburgers at Mickey D's.

that's just awesome.

Last year my dad helped me convert my old treehouse into an observatory.During the summer I set up my telescopes there and kept my astronomy books and different things there.Since the tree is old,and has no leaves and stuff,it makes a super spot to stargaze from.

I've been into astronomy since for a couple of years now.Ever since I checked out a astronomy book from the school library and saw all the photographs of nebulas,and star clusters,and planets.My favorite planet is Neptune.I guess I like it because it is blue.But Uranus is cool,too,being on its side and everything.

that's just awesome.

Last year my dad helped me convert my old treehouse into an observatory.During the summer I set up my telescopes there and kept my astronomy books and different things there.Since the tree is old,and has no leaves and stuff,it makes a super spot to stargaze from.

I've been into astronomy since for a couple of years now.Ever since I checked out a astronomy book from the school library and saw all the photographs of nebulas,and star clusters,and planets.My favorite planet is Neptune.I guess I like it because it is blue.But Uranus is cool,too,being on its side and everything.

A treehouse observatory?That's neat.When I was your age I'd crawl out onto the roof of my house at night with a pair of old field glasses I bought from the military surplus store and stargaze.I loved it,but my mom always had a fit when she'd catch me up on the roof.She just knew I was going to fall off and kill myself :huh: .

Its amazing how many stars there are in just the visible universe (I'm convinced that it's infinite,despite whatever evidence to the contrary scientists have...or at least,its so massive that it may as well be infinite).

Recently astronomers shocked the scientific community by calculating that there are approximately 70 sextillion stars in the known universe.This means that there are ten times as many stars in the universe (at least) as there are grains of sand on every beach and desert on our entire planet.

Now,if even a mere one-percent of these stars had planets,and one-percent of those stars with planets contained a world where life developed,and again,if of those "living" worlds,a single-percent harbored intelligent life....that's still untold tens of thousands of civilizations like our own.Boggles the mind. :frusty:

Just thought I'd share this bit of information.I only just read about it today myself,and was fascinated by it all.

83788[/snapback]

No wonder I always lose count! :frusty:

So tell me, what's a 'Gazillion' look like?? Is there such a number?? I heard Al Bundy say that alot. :frusty:

I was thinking about trying to confirm this but i kept forgetting if i had already counted a star or not, so i gave up. To many to count. Well it would b if it hadnt already been counted. Oh and im still hoping that i will find some intellegent life somewhere.

Now,if even a mere one-percent of these stars had planets,and one-percent of those stars with planets contained a world where life developed,and again,if of those "living" worlds,a single-percent harbored intelligent life....that's still untold tens of thousands of civilizations like our own.Boggles the mind. :frusty:

83788[/snapback]

No wonder I always lose count! :frusty:

280739[/snapback]

That is way I keep losing count after 100. :o

If that calculation pertains to the known universe, I wonder how many life-bearing planets the calculations would say exist in the galaxy?

Is there a link to these findings?