Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

Star Trek names for your kids

Would you name your child after a Star Trek Character?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you name your child after a Star Trek Character?

• yes
    • to an extent, yes
    • no
    • maybe
    • my son is named Spock

I like some Star Trek names... Jadzia is a very nice name... but I read that children with common names are more likely to be succesful in life so a common name is what I'm gonna give. Not too common tho... unless i really like the name

Stardate:213808.9

Yeh i would.Nothing like Spock or Data cause the kid would probably get teased for that.Maybe something like Will(actually if i have a son thats what i have been thinking of naming him i like that name) or maybe Ezri

Yes..

There's nothing wrong with the name Beverly and I have always liked names that you won't find five more of in the first grade alone.. :blink:

Kestra is cool or Pardima(not a trek name) but you get my point.. :lol:

Hiya i wouldn't call my kid anything that would get it bullied but i always thought Kathryn was a great name for a girl. I would draw the line at Seven of Nine though :blink:

I do not know if this fits here. But I h a v e to tell you this.

Yesterday my company got an order from a customer in the eastern part of Germany. And tell you what, the guy who signed the order was called "Worf".

Could you imagine that. I have never heard of a surname like that.

But back to topic. Why not name a kid Kathrine or Jean-Luc or James and have the ST characters in mind.

My father named my brother by this fav soccer player at that time.

Edited by Stardreamer

Yes I would and in fact I did..! Nothing so obvious as Spock or Data...But I named my daughter Marlena..After Marlena Monroe from TOS episode Mirror, Mirror..I liked that name a lot..My wife at the time liked the name too..So everything worked out good..Everybody was very happy with the name and practically nobody knows it was inspired from Star Trek..

Edited by spacetigger

My little Neelix-Dax asked me the other day, ''daddy. why don't I get on with my sister Uhuru"?

And I said, "well son. You know how your cousins T'Pring and Kang argue all the time"......

This isn't a Star Trek name, but along the same lines. When my wife and I lived in Japan, she was pregnant with our son. We were going to give him a fairly "Japanese sounding" name - Ryoda. To an American, it sounds like Yoda (you know, Star Wars...). We had a friend with a son who had the same name. After thinking about it,

we changed our minds.

After having grown up with a name which nobody can pronounce correctly, I was determined to give my children simple, easy to pronounce names. I do, however, think that some of the names on Star Trek are beautiful and worthy of consideration, such as Jadzia and Ezri. I don't think anybody would have too much trouble pronouncing those. But my children were born before DS9 aired, so I didn't have that opportunity. I might have considered it, but don't know if my husband would have gone along with the idea. And then there's the question of whether any of those names would sound good with our equally hard to pronounce, Russian last name.

A name is an important identity that most of us carry for life. So it should be chosen with much thought. There are some Star Trek characters, who have names that bear no uniqueness to names we use every day, such as James Kirk, and Kathryn Janeway. Names like Spock, Tuvok,Worf, Data and even B'Elanna, are a bit different. In naming our kids we all need to keep them in mind that kids have enough issues to deal with without us possible adding extra burdens. I would suggest maybe giving a pet one of the more provocative names.........For example, I have a pet Parrot named "Seven of Nine." I call him "Seven" for short, and he is able to say several recognizable Star Trek phrases. Now all of my friends think he's cute, adorable, and love his name..............But if I'd named my son that name.........I don't think so. :blink:

I wouldn't have a problem with naming my child after a Trek character depending on the name.

My Lessa named her daughter after a Trek character. Her name is Kestra (Deanna Troi's sister in Dark Pages). I've seen pictures - she's a cutie (Kestra not Lessa...although Lessa is a cutie too, but I meant Kestra LOL).

Sure, why not, if my boyfriend or husband or whatever ( :lol: ) is a trekkie, too and has no problem with naming a boy Jean-Luc and a girl Deanna (these are the names I'll use then, I thought about that already :lol: )...

If he isn't a trekkie, I can still use actor's names... (I am also planning to name my son Patrick - if I should ever have a son, of course :blink: )

Mrs. Captain Picard

The funny thing about my naming Kestra was that even though Ed and I are both big Trek fans, it was not our idea. I freind at work found out the baby was a girl and suggested the name as she knew her husband would never let her use it. We both loved the idea, but the weird thing is that while both Ed and i are dark haired and mine is almost black, Kestra is blond, just like the character she was named for. :klingon:

I also have a son whose name could have been a perfect one for one of Data's sons, if he had one...Jorden Lucus. (Geordi and Jean-Luc) :laugh:

Commander Ericks, was it your intention with this poll/topic to mean; everyday names which have appeared in Trek or; the strange and unusual name's like Spock and Odo? My response was based on my belief you meant the latter.

Through work I once spoke on the phone with a gentleman named James Kirk - I want to you know I was very good. I didn't comment, I didn't ask if he was teased - but boy I wanted to - I hope he didn' hear it in my voice.

I did once work with a woman named Nichelle (middle name Nicole) - her father was a fan of Nichelle Nichols.

I like the name Jadzia - I have thought at times of adopting a child and possibly naming her Jadzia.

Commander Ericks, was it your intention with this poll/topic to mean; everyday names which have appeared in Trek or; the strange and unusual name's like Spock and Odo? My response was based on my belief you meant the latter.

Well that's where the to an extent option enters into play. Really it was for any Star Trek names.

No.

Well, maybe if it was subtle like Will or Jonathan or something, but never anything that is totally Trek 'linkable' like Spock or Worf. Lol. That's just asking for the kid to be picked on.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I know of a kid (well, he's in his late teens) whose name is Kal-El; Superman's Kryptonian name. His father is an artist for the Superman comic books.

Other than that, I love the name "Kestra". No non-Trekkie would ever know where it came from, but I imagine you get lots of questions! I like "Jadzia," too. "Julian," "Deanna," and others of the more common (but not too common) names are more my line. I have personal issues that are non-Trek related about some of the other names, and would never even consider them.

Juzida is a nice name I also like Naomi and for a boy Jake Thomas or Wesley Kieran. But I only base them on like Humanish name and not go totally over the top.