Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Twenty second century Internet

I've wondered if there wouldn't be some sort of subspace internet available in the future. I know there was a TOS episode that referenced Library Alpha where a lot of multi planetary databases were stored but TOS was pre internet. I know in Enterprise they have the Vulcan database. Doesn't it make sense that in more inhabited sectors there would be some sort of communication system - for advertising if no other reason.

I mean does Risa rely on word of mouth or do they advertise? Can you imagine Risa pop-ups?

We do know the Ent was dropping communications buoys along the way in the old direction but in the Expanse that would do no good. You have a point, they should be running into other species buoys all over space but no mention has ever been made of them, even in later series.

With the advent of ENT one of the things I thought for sure would be addressed right away was the question of whether or not the web survived the last war but alas, not so far. :)

I mean does Risa rely on word of mouth or do they advertise?  Can you imagine Risa pop-ups?

The mere idea of pop-up ads still being around in the 22nd century totally depresses me. :)

Don't worry, there will be an Internet, but not as we know it today. You'll carry around a small handheld device with a plasma type color screen, definitely wireless, battery powered, and be able to access databases from anywhere. It will, also, be a communications device, and you'll be able to talk to anyone from anywhere. One really cool feature will be a built-in "Bablefish," capable of translating any known and some unknown languages.

Oh, I'm sorry. We have those today. They're called cell phones with built-in PDAs. I have one, but it doesn't have the Bablefish feature.