Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Star Trek wins Oscar!

post-102-1268190814.jpg

UPDATED: The 82nd Academy Awards are being held in Los Angeles and Star Trek goes in with four nominations. And so far it has won one award, for Best Makeup. This makes it the first Trek win in franchise history. Keep track of the ongoing awards below with TrekMovie’s live Tweeting.

UPDATE 3: Star Trek loses other three categories.

TrekMovie.com

Edited to add image.

Best make-up, huh? and as usual, I haven't seen any of the movies that won major awards.

Star Trek Wins Oscar For Makeup

The 82nd Academy Awards have just wrapped up and JJ Abrams Star Trek, has made franchise history by taking home Trek’s first Oscar, for Best Makeup. In addition some Star Trek vets took home Oscars, including Michael Giacchino for Up. Also, Chris Pine and Zoe Saldana were on hand as presenters. We have a full report, photos and links to videos and more below.

Star Trek wins for Best Makeup – First Oscar of franchise

Star Trek went in with four nominated in four categories. And as expected Star Trek won for Best Makeup, beating both Il Divo and The Young Victoria. The award is shared by Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow.

The Makeup category was presented by uber-Trek fan Ben Stiller. Even though Stiller came out made up as a Na’vi, he joked that he wished he had worn his Spock ears, admitting he had two pairs of them signed by Leonard Nimoy.

As for the other three categories, Star Trek went in as a long-shot, and so it was no surprise that it lost both Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing to The Hurt Locker, and Best Visual Effects to Avatar. Sharing the VFX award for Avatar was Star Trek VI CG supervisor Joe Letteri .

The night was a milestone in Star Trek franchise history. Four previous Trek films had been nominated: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (3 nominations), Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (4), Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (2) and Star Trek First Contact (1). However, JJ Abrams Star Trek is now the first and only Star Trek film to win an Academy Award.

Giacchino Wins For Up

As expected Star Trek composer Michael Giacchino won the Oscar for his Up score. Giacchino told had an inspirational speech about how young people should stick with their creative endeavors. Another Trek vet taking home the gold was Robert Stromberg, a matte artist on TNG, Voyager, and First Contact, who shared the Oscar for Art Direction for his work in Avatar. However, Christopher Plummer (Star Trek VI’s General Chang) who was nominated Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Last Station, lost out to Christoph Waltz for his role in Inglourious Basterds.

Both Avatar and The Hurt Locker went into the Oscars with nine nominations each, but it was The Hurt Locker that walked away the big winner. The Hurt Locker won six awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. Avatar took home three awards. For a complete list of winners visit oscars.org.

Pine, Saldana and Perry Present

The Academy Awards also saw a number Star Trek celebs presenting. First up was Chris Pine, Star Trek’s new James T Kirk, who introduced the clips for the Best Picture nominee District 9. By the way, for those who are wondering, Chris brought his mom as his date for the evening, awww.

Zoe Saldana, Star Trek’s new Uhura, along with Carey Mulligan, presented the three short film Oscars. There was a bit of a funny moment as Zoe had to hike up her dress to avoid tripping on it while descending the stairs.

Finally Tyler Perry, who had a cameo in Star Trek playing the head of Starfleet Academy, presented the Oscar for Best Editing. Perry joked that it was the first and last time his name would be heard at the Academy Awards.

TrekMovie.com

Yeah, Kor, they increased the Best Picture category from 5 to 10 this year, hopefully to include more movies that the general public has seen, but I don't think it really worked. I have seen only 2 of the 10 nominees, one of those being 'Up' which I watched earlier in the day on DVD. I do think that Avatar was groundbreaking in many ways and probably deserved the awards it got.

That's great that it won one. I'd never even heard of the best picture winner and have no desire to see it. Avatar probably deserved to win but politics always rears it's head in these kinds of things.

How come it took Star Trek 11 movies to win an Oscar in make-up? Did the Oscar people not see Star Trek 2, 4, or First Contact? I say these ones because of they have some of the best make-up in all of the Star Trek movies...

How come it took Star Trek 11 movies to win an Oscar in make-up? Did the Oscar people not see Star Trek 2, 4, or First Contact? I say these ones because of they have some of the best make-up in all of the Star Trek movies...

First Contact, yeah, (it was nominated but lost to the Nutty Professor) but Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 4 for make-up? I suppose the Starfleet Command scenes in 4 (which are just a fraction of the movie), but I don't see 2. There are barely any aliens in Star Trek 2, really only Spock and Saavik. I suppose some of the blood work, but really that's a stretch. I'd put all of the other movies ahead of Star Trek 2 for make-up. I'm not trying to cut you up, I just don't see it.

For the record, The Undiscovered Country was also nominated in this category but lost to Terminator 2.

Anyway, Star Trek totally deserved this honour. There are make-ups in this movie that look like CG but aren't. For instance, that alien at the bar between Kirk and Uhura: that's real make-up! Plus, Keenser, Alnschloss K'Bentayr, both Spocks, all the Romulans, not to mention all the deleted aliens from the Rura Penthe scenes.

Was very happy to see Star Trek win an Oscar for Best Make-up. Well deserved indeed.

We tried to see a lot of the nominated movies. Saw Avatar, Young Victoria, An Education, Up in the Air, The Last Station, Crazy Heart, The Blind Side, and The Hurt Locker. Avatar was wonderful visually but not the greatest dialog or story imo. Young Victoria was interesting, a bit slow, but had great sets and costumes. An Education was a very interesting movie and it's female star was wonderful. Up in the Air was entertaining, and Clooney and the two female costars were all great.

The Last Station had great performances from Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirren. Crazy Heart was entertaining with a fantastic performance by Bridges and great work by Maggie G., and Robert Duvall. The Blind Side was a wonderful true story and Sandra Bullock was amazing. The Hurt Locker was imo opinion deserving of its honors with a taut script, tension throughout, great editing and fine performances.

I was glad I saw all these movies, and may still rent Up, Invictus, and Julia & Julie.

2 and 4 didn't have any exotic creatures in it... Well OK there was that one guy in 4 with the loud radio on the bus but that was it.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy