Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

The Sir Patrick Stewart Topic

Great article! Thanks for posting it.

I especially enjoyed hearing his remark about gramatically correct English, as that is something I believe strongly in promoting.

I think the move back to Britain has been a wonderful decision for Sir Patrick. Being able to get more involved in education, to promote his home region, to get more involved in politics, and to be able to pursue his passion which is stage acting (particularly Shakespeare) are so commendable. Added to the fact that his preformances are being so richly enjoyed and honored, it is impressive indeed.

I especially enjoyed hearing his remark about gramatically correct English, as that is something I believe strongly in promoting.

I think the move back to Britain has been a wonderful decision for Sir Patrick. Being able to get more involved in education, to promote his home region, to get more involved in politics, and to be able to pursue his passion which is stage acting (particularly Shakespeare) are so commendable. Added to the fact that his preformances are being so richly enjoyed and honored, it is impressive indeed.

You're welcome! I enjoyed reading it as well, of course. (The picture helped, too. I don't deny it. *lol*)

Hehe yes, their English is so correct that over here some of TNG was actually sold on "American English slang language lesson CD ROMs". I'm not kidding, I used to have two of these. (It's a mystery to me why they take Sir Patrick, who is so obviously British and use him as a model for American English slang language lessons, but hey. lol) It's TNG episodes that are split up sentence by sentence and then you get to analyze it and repeat it and whatnot. It's funny. :P I had "Deja Q" and "Yesterday's Enterprise", I think.

I'm so glad he's finally back in the UK. He was so homesick when he was in he US. He just wasn't made to become one of those Hollywood actors who live in golden fortresses in Beverly Hills. He went there, did that - and became so homesick that he sold the house and moved back to the UK, his true home. And now that he's there again, he really seems a LOT happier than he did in the last few years in which he lived in the US. He just seems so bouncy and full of energy and whatnot. It's wonderful to see him like this, actually. I'm so happy for him. :dude: Although he WILL be in the US until the end of this year from what I've heard... he'll probably see it as some sort of extended vacation or something. (His play in New York is the reason, so, he's there because of theater, which, to him, is the best reason ever, lol.)

Edited by Mrs.Picard

Take a look at

for a new Sinbad movie. It seems Sir Patrick Stewart is going to be the narrator... which... means I'll have to buy yet another movie on DVD... lol.

You're welcome! I enjoyed reading it as well, of course. (The picture helped, too. I don't deny it. *lol*)

Hehe yes, their English is so correct that over here some of TNG was actually sold on "American English slang language lesson CD ROMs". I'm not kidding, I used to have two of these. (It's a mystery to me why they take Sir Patrick, who is so obviously British and use him as a model for American English slang language lessons, but hey. lol) It's TNG episodes that are split up sentence by sentence and then you get to analyze it and repeat it and whatnot. It's funny. :P I had "Deja Q" and "Yesterday's Enterprise", I think.

That is pretty funny: Patrick modeling American English! Good choice with Yesterday's Enterprise.

It's one of MY all-time favorites. Plus, that way you'd be better prepared to comunicate if the Borg ever show up! :dude:

Yeah, it is funny - I bet they never even noticed that he's British. LOL (One has to excuse my fellow countrymen here, many of them cannot determine whether an accent is British or American or Australian or whatever.) I wonder if he knows about this whole thing - as far as I know, he has to be informed about (and even given) every licenced product that features Jean-Luc Picard in some way (which is why he keeps bragging about the huge collection he has - ME WANTS, omg lol), so, there is a small possibility that he owns one of these language teaching CD Roms, too.

Oh yeah the Borg strike me as the grammatically correct guys, too. :P

Take a look at
for a new Sinbad movie. It seems Sir Patrick Stewart is going to be the narrator... which... means I'll have to buy yet another movie on DVD... lol.

I can not wait I saw The Seven Voyages of Sinbad when I was six, it scared me so bad I dropped my BB gun on the floor. Back then you could carry your BB gun around with you.

THANKS FOR THE TRAILER

Take a look at

I can not wait I saw The Seven Voyages of Sinbad when I was six, it scared me so bad I dropped my BB gun on the floor. Back then you could carry your BB gun around with you.

THANKS FOR THE TRAILER

You're the first person I encounter who likes the trailer, LOL. The reactions are mostly negative. Not because of Sir Patrick or his voice, I think it's the whole movie idea.

I do not think it will be any kind of classic. However it will have Dynamation effects and that should be cool for old guys like myself.

Haha it definitely won't become a classic, that's true! It's rather surprising for me to see how much people seem to expect Sir Patrick to show up in high quality movies only. He has been in enough "trashy" movies (Gunmen, Masterminds, Let It Be Me, Death Train aka Detonator)... so, one more won't make much of a difference. I guess it's a natural reflex from some to expect him to star only in the most educationally valuable movies or something, lol.

Even great actors have to pay the bills.

Haha yes, as he himself noted when he accepted the part in Wild Geese II in order to have the money to have his roof repaired... he has enough money these days, of course, he wouldn't exactly HAVE to show up in such bad movies, but then, he likes to do favors for people he knows... :P

Edited by Mrs.Picard

Bad convention news! This was just posted on the official Facebook and Twitter pages of Chicago Comic Con:

Due to production scheduling conflicts, Patrick Stewart will regrettably be unable to attend Wizard World Chicago Comic Con. We are working to reschedule Mr. Stewart at a future Wizard World Comic Con.

Fans who have pre-purchased photograph opportunities with Mr. Stewart will receive refunds for those items.

There will be some disappointed fans. Does he ever get to Germany, so you can see him?

Well it is always a risk to go to a convention because this or that actor will be there. The convention appearance was scheduled rather closely to the beginning of his new play in New York - I was afraid something like this would happen. I wouldn't have bought a ticket for that con, even if I lived there and had the money. He rarely cancels convention appearances, though, but still, it DOES happen from time to time.

Oh the last time he was officially here for the first time ever at a con was in 2004. I was there, the first (and last) convention I went to. I'm not a big fan of conventions in general and I don't like large crowds, but it was his first appearance here in Germany at a convention and I just couldn't miss it. It was the first time I saw him live on stage somewhere, and I remember the moment when he came on stage and all I could do was just stare and think "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING, OH MY GOD, IT'S REALLY HIM". But these days when I want to "see" him, I travel to England. (He's the only person in the world that can make ME enter a plane, lol.) Last time I saw him was May last year. (Which was where my current avatar picture was taken, he was standing right next to me and I had his explicit permission to take pics, so I did, lol.) He IS here in Germany sometimes, though, he collects German expressionist paintings and he has a friend in the British Embassy in Berlin...

That depends on how you define expensive. For someone like me who has little money, everything is expensive. The flight itself can be a bit cheaper if I fly with Ryanair, but the hotel room and the whole transportation stuff is what's seriously expensive. It's what's forcing me to stay here in Germany most of the time. I can see him every few years only. I'm also terribly afraid of flying, which REALLY doesn't help either.

Sir Patrick crashed Leonard Nimoy's and William Shatner's panel at the Vegas convention yesterday. :P His outfit was also rather remarkable!

epicwinn.png

(Source)

Quite a few pictures of Sir Patrick from yesterday at Vegas con can be found here. (Including Sir Patrick with Brent Spiner, William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy.)

I love Sit Patrick's hat. Did you notice how much Jonathan Frakes and William Shanter look alike.

I love the hat as well! He wore it because he had paid a visit to his dermatologist a few days before and the guy worked on his head, and he was concerned about "not looking good". Otherwise he most likely wouldn't have worn the cap. I've heard only VERY positive replies so far, however, so, there is the definite possibility that the hat will be taken into his "hat rotation". lol (He collects hats/caps.)

LMAO don't let Frakes' fans hear that! :P

Patrick was fabulous in Las Vegas! He appeared alone, and with Brent Spiner. It was their first Creation stage appearance together, & they may reprise it, because it was a hit!

From my semi illegible notes: Patrick gave a British, odd sounding pronunciation of Nevada, then said that when you are a knight of the Realm, you can use your own pronunciation. PS mentioned that he drove to LV from LA, & that there is nowhere he loves more than SW US scenery. It was a relaxing, stimulating drive. He mentioned the cap he wore since his dermatologist "zapped me" Said he wore it because he was self concious about appearing unattractive, unappealing and undesireable. Mentioning Brent coming on soon PS said he got 30 minutes on his own, since he spent 7 years with Brent and those other guys. PS then announced he brought with him a personal garment (drawing ohhs and ahhs). "Why would you see something salacious in that comment?" First he said it was for the Rescue Patrick Stewart Foundation, then that he would acution it off for the Huddlesfield Athletic and Sports Club. It was a dive coat that he wore duting fuilming of the X-men movie. It had Xavier written on it and he had customized it with white tape to look like the HTAFC colors.

He began questions: PS mentioned Hamlet on PBS and that MacBeth would be shown. PS is doing lots of theater. Probably doing a tour of the Christmas Carol. Asked about David Tennant, PS said He is a massively talented, fine Shakespearean actor with a sweet nature, always full of humor & commitment to acting. Asked if we Ever Read HM Forester, PS replied he indeed had and that his sole direction from GR was to read 6 Hornblower novels, which PS had in his youth. PS mentioned that Hornclower threw up a lot and that PS decided not to do that on the Enterprise! It would not have been pretty, on the floor, down Brent's neck.

At this point an annoying sounding voice interrupted (it was Brent Spiner with a mic with the other questioners)

Brent: Excuse me Lord Stewart! I brought my own microphone.

Sir? What are those funny dots on your head? Is it measles, Sir? Lord Stewart?

PS: I should have know you might bring it up. Young man, it is rude to bring up personal appearance. You're not so young, are you? Do you have another question?

Brent: I am like Horatio Hornblower. I throw up when I see you. I like Brent Spiner.

PS. Why don't you stay there and you get the first question when he comes out?

Brent: Then you are going to try to sell that funny jacket? I look forward to seeing you in the Theater. A Knife in the Theater I love a good Killer!

PS. That's a Night in the Theater, not Knife!

Brent leaves. PS auctions the jacket.

Michael Dorn sneaks out and pretends to beat Patrick down to the floor then helps him up and says they paid $2 or $3 for this? MD leaves the stage. PS finishes auction with a $10,000 bid. Hugs winner and says the Acedemy will be thrilled and Brent comes out.

More later....

Thanks for the report, trekz! I already knew what he did, but it was nice to read it again so that I'll keep it in mind for future reference! :dude:

Oh and it's "Life In The Theatre". I adored the "knife" joke, though. :P So typical Spiner! I love it when he harasses Sir Patrick like that. But then, Sir Patrick paid it back this time by showing up in the audience while Spiner was on stage! lol

New interview with Sir Patrick!

Patrick Stewart, age 70, has managed to pursue a career blending classic theater with pop culture TV to much acclaim. This year, he was nominated for an Emmy Award for his performance as Claudius and the Ghost in Hamlet on PBS' Great Performances, competing in the made-for-TV movie/miniseries supporting actor category against the likes of Michael Gambon (Emma), Jonathan Pryce (Return to Cranford), David Straithairn (Temple Grandin) and John Goodman (You Don’t Know Jack). But to a generation of TV viewers, he will always be Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Sir Patrick spoke with Ray Richmond for Deadline Hollywood about the honor of being knighted, his obsession with Shakespeare, and why he originally thought casting him on Star Trek was crazy talk.

Deadline Hollywood: You were knighted in June. How did this all go down?

Sir Patrick Stewart: I received a letter, and when I opened it there was shock and utter disbelief. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. People have been saying this could happen to me for several years, but they’re not the kind of things I listened to. From the time I was much younger, I’d followed those actors who were similarly honored, like Sir Michael Redgrave, Sir Ian McKellan. I never anticipated someday being able to join those ranks. It’s a terrific honor and I take it as one bestowed on my profession and my associations. I am very proud and very humbled by it.

DH: I suppose that by comparison, an Emmy nomination is pretty modest stuff. You’ve received three of those before.

SPS: It is not something I take lightly at all. It’s an extraordinary distinction, particularly for playing a supporting player in a Shakespearean play. That doesn’t happen to many actors on television. I feel it’s an immense honor to the Royal Shakespeare Company and to those of us who form Shakespearean projects in Britain. The realization of a nomination is just thrilling.

DH: You never were nominated for your captain’s role on Star Trek: The Next Generation. On the other hand, I’m the critic who said at the time the show premiered in 1987, "What are these people thinking, casting some bald-headed British guy?"

SPS: You wrote that?

[...]

Read the rest of the interview over here!

Sir Patrick did NOT win an Emmy, of course. What a surprise! /sarcasm At least there's outrage on Twitter about it, but that is most likely all that there will be. He gets robbed of it over and over again.

At least there's a nice red carpet picture of him that you can see over here.

Sir Patrick did NOT win an Emmy, of course. What a surprise! /sarcasm At least there's outrage on Twitter about it, but that is most likely all that there will be. He gets robbed of it over and over again.

At least there's a nice red carpet picture of him that you can see over here.

I got quite crabby over it last night, and it still makes me irritated. The winner certainly was fine, but as you say, Patrick never gets Emmy recognition, not in 7 years as Picard, nor for an amazing performance doing Shakespeare. I also get very annoyed when certain shows get all the awards at the Emmys and others get nothing and are ignored.

I don't Twitter. What kinds of things were being said?

Oh I definitely didn't watch that so-called "award ceremony" either (it wasn't even aired over here, actually)... I boycott it as much as I can because they have nominated Sir Patrick for quite a few Emmys in the past and they ALWAYS ignored him. I knew it would be just the same this time, but it upsets me a bit more this time because they ignored him playing Shakespeare stuff, which is unforgivable and only increases my already rather intense dislike for these Emmy awards...

The general opinion on Twitter was that "Sir Patrick was robbed of an Emmy". I agree. He was even a trending topic for a short while from what I was told. People were quite upset that he did not win.

Yes, I saw that as well. I originally didn't plan to bother, part of my rationale being that-and I don't have cable-that, as usual, the cable shows/films/etc would win, and frankly, I think this has become a vastly-growing trend. Yes, there are many well-written, powerful drmas on cable..which reminds me of the older days of tv, when ''Playhouse 90' or etc were on-a little too far back maybe even for me, but, you get the point re conventional tv. Okay, to THE main point, yes, I saw Patrick, whilst channel surfing between that and Stargate SG-1 reruns on a local digital-airwaves channel, and went 'OOH, PATRICK ' I have to definitely see what he is nominated for, if he will win. NOOOOO..sigh. I was dissapointed too, of course, as a ST fan. No respect at all...if anyone in trekdom could grab an award, it has to be him, all respect to all the others. NO...But, take heart, for we all know that, amongst his Shakespearean peers, there are few who mayst rise above him, aye? LOL....Ne'er mind the Emmys, Sir P...you are a 'stellar performer in the ranks of ST fans....