Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

The Borg Sphere

When we first saw the sphere ,in First Contact, it looked relativly small compared to the Enterprise. However it was still a massive ship when seen next to Voyager. I know that Voyager is about half the size of Enterprise, but the ratio of size still looks off to me. Just something that always bugged me.

In the Enterprise episode I believe the scientists studying the debris estimated the radius of the sphere to be at least a kilometer but I can't remember the exact figure they used.

1 km = 0.6214 miles

The borg don't make all their ships the same size. So some spheres or cubes would be big and some would be small.

Hmmm, presuming all Borg ships use a sphere for an escape "pod' that makes sense. Bigger ships require bigger spheres. Are the Cubes their biggest ships?

However it was still a massive ship when seen next to Voyager.

I don't remember the episode in question, did it (the episode) show (or speak of) the ship this sphere in question emerged from?

I remember in TNG episode Descent, we were shown a "non-cubicle" ship which looked larger the a Cube ship, could the bigger sphere have come from one of those classes?

The Borg ship seen in Descent was not a traditional Borg ship. It did not belong to the overall collective. It was built after Hue's Borg cube was destroyed due to his individuality. From here, I would assume that once Lore joined up with the now ruined Borg group, they assembled a new ship. We never had any insight as to how they might have done that, but after seeing Regeneration, it is resonable to say that they could have modified another ship into a Borg vessel... although I doubt that was the idea back in the days of TNG, as they didn't really have such an ability in TNG. The Borg were quite undeveloped (character wise) back then.

There are two kinds of Borg Spheres.

The Borg Sphere scene in ST-8 was an escape vessel for the Queen to leave the Cube. One could conclude that all Cubes have a Sphere or that the Borg "convert" part of their Cube to be an escape Sphere.

The Spheres seeen on VOY are of a larger design, made for scout missions I think. Also, the reason why Voyager seems small compared to them is becuase Voyager is only half the size of the Enterprise-E. Then again, the Borg Sphere in "Endgame" swallowed Voyager, this one would also be larger than the Enterprise-E. My theory is that the Cubes and Spheres start out small and "grow" as they assimilate. This would explain why the Enterprise runs into massive Cubes and why Voyager finds smaller Cubes with exceptions like the Tactical Cube in "Unimatrix Zero".

Are the Cubes their biggest ships?

The biggest Borg ship I've seen was on Endgame (VOY), at the wormhole thing. Although it might not have been a ship, it was pretty big and could probably move.

Edited by Captain Holland

Are the Cubes their biggest ships?

The biggest Borg ship I've seen was on Endgame (VOY), at the wormhole thing. Although it might not have been a ship, it was pretty big and could probably move.

That was the Borg Transwarp Hub, 1 of 6 in the galaxy. It was a stationary complex that was a "hub" for transwarp conduits.

As for the Borg Cube size question, yes, so far, the Cubes are the largest of the Borg vessels.

Having Borg Cubes and Spheres of various sizes makes some sense.Personally,I would like to see a wider variety of Borg vessel shapes.There is a drawing of an Borg Obelisk in the Generations/First Contact film and art book I bought a couple of years ago,that looks interesting.

Borg Vessels varied from one another in some ways, mostly by size.

If we compare 2 Spheres we see their specs are different, mostly it depends on its main purpose of the vessel, some could be scouts or tactical.

In ST:FC the Sphere is 600m, not 1km. Its about the Sovereign's size, the reason it look small is because its far away from the Ent-E

The vessel in "Descent" is a Borg Vessel, its not a malfunction or anything, theres proof of this vessel's existance in the Borg's database.

In Scorpion 7 was talking about a MultiKinetic Neutronic mine, & a picture of the mine "a tiny dot" was with a bigger picture, that ship from Descent.

I think its a heavy armanent vessel or something, carrying stuff like that. :lol:

Oh well.

Cubes are 28 cubic km. according to the Hensens, 30,036m i think.

They are the biggest Borg Vessels yes as for Structures, the Unicomplex is the biggest, not the Hub.

& about the Hub, in Endgame, its the 7th & new Hub, 7 of 9 did not know the location of it & was bit shocked. & the Queen was highly protective of it like they are just nearly finish in completion of the hub "Under Construction"

If they had this long ago as 1 of the 6 hubs, then why didn't they used it earlier. So it can't be 1 of the old ones. Its a new one.

IMHO of course.

Starship Length Height Width Diameter

Akira 464 87 316

Ambassador 525 361 133

Constitution 304 71 141

Danube 23 5 13

Defiant 119 25 90

Excelsior 470 111 266

Galaxy 641 137 467

Intrepid 344 54 132

Nebula 465 148 467

Nova 165 31 81

NX 225 29 136

Prometheus 415 113 170

Sovereign 685 88 250

Aerie 90 20 38

B'rel 250 10 18

K'Vort 350 24.5 31

D7 209 55 147

K't'inga 350 98 252

Negh'Var 682.32 136.65 470.09

Vor'cha 481.32 106.87 341.76

D'Deridex 1041 285 772

Galor 371.88 59 192.23

Keldon 371.88 70.3 192.23

Cube 3400 3400 3400

Sphere 425

Breen Battlecruiser 420 97 365

Ferengi D'kora 630 84 210

Ferengi Pod 17 6 7

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship 68.32 18.32 70.02

Jem'Hadar Warship 639.75 204.97 568.44

Bio-Ship ? ? ?

I dunno about the rest u wrote but Sphere & Cube is where you are mistaken, well depending on which Spere & Cube u are refering to.

Cube is 20 Cubic km as the Hensens stated, its around 3,036m

& Sphere is as stated by the scientists in "Enterprise" 600m

I'm wondering, where you get your info from?

Let's just say that when they were expirimenting with omega they lost 200 some odd ships, and over 500,000 drones (or something to that extreme) that's....wow. Those things could take on the death star (well, in size. we know it would be a one way match)

Starship Length Height  Width Diameter

Akira 464 87 316

Ambassador 525 361 133

Constitution 304 71 141

Danube 23 5 13

Defiant 119 25 90

Excelsior 470 111 266

Galaxy 641 137 467

Intrepid 344 54 132

Nebula 465 148 467

Nova 165 31 81

NX 225 29 136

Prometheus 415 113 170

Sovereign 685 88 250

Aerie 90 20 38

B'rel 250 10 18

K'Vort 350 24.5 31

D7 209 55 147

K't'inga 350 98 252

Negh'Var 682.32 136.65 470.09

Vor'cha 481.32 106.87 341.76

D'Deridex 1041 285 772

Galor 371.88 59 192.23

Keldon 371.88 70.3 192.23

Cube 3400 3400 3400

Sphere    425

Breen Battlecruiser 420 97 365

Ferengi D'kora 630 84 210

Ferengi Pod 17 6 7

Jem'Hadar Attack Ship 68.32 18.32 70.02

Jem'Hadar Warship 639.75 204.97 568.44

Bio-Ship ? ? ?

Impressive.

I wonder about that ship from "Descent" sometimes.

Did they make it that way to get as much away from a geometric shape as possible?

By the way, that effect where the -D fired off 2 torpedoes then went past the top port side was neat.

Too bad we couldn't have seen the inside.

Edited by ussacclaim

Nah, that's a normal class made by Borg.

Scorpion proofs it, we saw that ship again when 7 of 9 was talking about a mine, that is launched by that ship.

The tiny dot beside it is the mine, the big pic is the ship.

Edited by Alterego

Tactical cubes are the largest. My answer is that they are the same sixe but are seen from different distances.

not quite, if we are dealing with a big object & a small one.

When the camera is zoomed on the small object. The big one should be very huge. But the tac Cube aint as huge as the Cubes when seen in a smaller ship's perspective.

That means the tactical Cube is smaller then the Cube maybe by 1,000m.

Anyway, if u want to know the Sovereign's compare to the Cube. check this in ST:FC at the time the Cube is going to blow, where they show him glowing with explosions, from the distance, u can see the hole's size to the whole Cube itself. Its so tiny. i think it can fit 5 Spheres in a row or column, meaning if the Cube is 100% hollow there could be 125 Spheres! inside. Thankfully its not that hollow.

so the Enterprise is nearly 700m. so compare the pic with the estimation of the Sovereign how small it really is. :o

actually i agree with cjlp that spheres grow as they assimilate to become more effiecent with there designated tasks given the nature of the borg this makes sense and it explains the differences....

also it would be ridiculous if all borg spheres and cubes were the same size (all cubes one size and all spheres another) because then they would only have 2 kinds of ships...

also the largest borg vessel is the central plexus seen in (not the one seen in VOY) it is a gigantic mobile space station that mantains a distance of more then 70,000 lightyears out side of the galactic border... this is so that it cannot be threatened by anybody without transwarp propulsion... this ship is manned by:

>The borg queen (true queen never seen in any movie/series)

>"librarian" drones who classify and maintain all info assimilated into the collective

>Elite guard drones + repair drones for massive repair undertakings/maintence on the station itself

if you took the time to read my whole post HIGH PRAISE FOR YOU :)

i am talking about the largest borg vessel..... some one asked

and it is called the "central plexus" it is maintained outside of the glactic border so that it would take more then a life time to reach it by high warp!

and this is where the true borg queen "lives"

this is a book by william shatner

Edited by Capt.Vash

i am talking about the largest borg vessel..... some one asked

and it is called the "central plexus" it is maintained outside of the glactic border so that it would take more then a life time to reach it by high warp!

and this is where the true borg queen "lives"

this is a book by william shatner

Can you give me the name of that book? So I can buy it if it's still possible to get.

:dude:

Note for you 3 of 7

Read the book if you want :dude:

But do keep in mind. This is only Shatner's point of view for his personal story.

In other words, don't 100% consider what he says to be actual "fact" because its not proven or approved to be added into the story's canon.

Its a fantasy for the moment :dude:

actually i agree with cjlp that spheres grow as they assimilate to become more effiecent with there designated tasks given the nature of the borg this makes sense and it explains the differences....

also it would be ridiculous if all borg spheres and cubes were the same size (all cubes one size and all spheres another)  because then they would only have 2 kinds of ships...

also the largest borg vessel is the central plexus seen in (not the one seen in VOY) it is a gigantic mobile space station that mantains a distance of more then 70,000 lightyears out side of the galactic border... this is so that it cannot be threatened by anybody without transwarp propulsion...    this ship is manned by:

>The borg queen (true queen never seen in any movie/series)

>"librarian" drones who classify and maintain all info assimilated into the collective

>Elite guard drones + repair drones for massive repair undertakings/maintence on the station itself

if you took the time to read my whole post HIGH PRAISE FOR YOU  :P

What you are referring to is Unimatrix 01 at the center of the Borg collective in the Delta Quadrant, where the Borg Queen resides. :P

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

If that's what he is refering to, then what do he mean by outside the borders of the galaxy?

That place is inside the galaxy at the Delta Quadrant, not outside.

I think Shatner must have mistook where the Admiral went in that Hub to go to the Unimatrix 01. & he let his imagination carry him away & think,

"Ooh that hub must have transported the Admiral away from the galaxy"

lol :P

no offense intended.

If that's what he is refering to, then what do he mean by outside the borders of the galaxy?

I've no idea since it's in the Delta Quadrant. :bow:

That place is inside the galaxy at the Delta Quadrant, not outside.

Yep!

I think Shatner must have mistook where the Admiral went in that Hub to go to the Unimatrix 01. & he let his imagination carry him away & think,

"Ooh that hub must have transported the Admiral away from the galaxy"

lol :P

no offense intended.

I didn't read any posts on that. Hmm... Maybe Shatner put his own spin on the Borg? :P

actually do not take anything I say to be 100% canon because its just what i have pieced together from books by:

shatner (kirk)

john wornholt

Diane Duane

christie golden

and of course the different T.V. series!

also I do not remember the name of that book a friend lent it to me