Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Episode Spotlight DS9

Second Skin

320x240.jpg

When Kira is questioned about her time in the Cardassian prison at Elemspur she is surprised to find records and witnesses that say she was there even though she has no memory of ever being incarcerated.

Kira decides to to go to Bajor for further investigation but never shows up at the meeting that she had arranged. It is discovered that there is an energy signature at her last known location that indicates that she was either transported away or possibly killed by an energy weapon.

When we next see Kira her appearance has been changed to that of a Cardassian and she is being told that her true identity had been erased from her memory 10 years earlier when she was an Obsidian Order agent altered to look like a Bajoran resistance fighter named Kira Nerys.

240x320.jpg

Kira is told that her real name is Iliana Ghemor, daughter of Legate Tekeny Ghemor, a member of the Cardassian Central Command.

320x240.jpg

Legate Ghemor seems convinced that Kira is Iliana and tries to convince her that she is indeed his daughter but Kira can't bring herself to believe that the face in the mirror, the face of the enemy is her true appearance.

For the full episode synopsis click below or visit STARTREK.COM

Click for Spoiler:

Kira is surprised when she sees records indicating that she was incarcerated at Elemspur, a Cardassian prison, 10 years ago. Certain she was never at the prison, Kira tracks down a man listed as her one surviving cellmate. The stranger claims to remember Kira, but she has no idea who he is and decides to learn the truth. Kira departs for Bajor, but is kidnapped, waking up on Cardassia, where an official named Entek tells her she has been brought home. Looking in a mirror, Kira is horrified to see that she now looks like a Cardassian.

Entek gently tells her she is Iliana Ghemor, a field operative of the Obsidian Order who volunteered for an undercover assignment on Bajor a decade ago. The Cardassians captured the real Kira, gave her memories and appearance to Iliana, then sent the replacement back to Bajor to infiltrate the resistance. Entek leaves, giving the disbelieving Kira a data rod containing a personal message Iliana recorded before she left. Soon afterward, Legate and Central Command member Tekeny Ghemor arrives, claiming he is her father and they are in his home. Kira dismisses him, and is surprised when he seems genuinely hurt that his daughter's suppressed memories haven't yet returned.

Back on Deep Space Nine, Garak reveals that Kira may be held by the Obsidian Order. Sisko decides to go to Cardassia and find her, forcing Garak to join him and Odo. On Cardassia, Ghemor tries desperately to jar Kira's memory of her life as his daughter, but she refuses to either believe him or trust his intentions. Entek attempts to interrogate Kira, saying they need information from Iliana's mission, but is frustrated that her memory is not resurfacing. Entek then shows her a younger Kira's dead body, which has been cryogenically preserved, looking just like it did in the prison record.

Kira believes the body to be a fake, but Entek then speaks of experiences she has never told another person. For the first time, Kira begins to doubt herself, but she doesn't give up and decides to escape, only to have Ghemor catch her. Later, Entek returns and begins to interrogate her yet again. An angry Ghemor comes in and dismisses Entek, invoking his status with the Central Command, then tells Kira that, even though it will break his heart, he will get her away from Cardassia.

As the final arrangements are made, Ghemor reveals that he is a dissident. This puts the pieces of the puzzle together for Kira. She realizes that Entek is not really after her, but is only using her resemblance to Ghemor's daughter to get him to betray the Central Command. Entek then enters with two Obsidian Order agents who surround Kira and Ghemor. But Sisko, Garak, and Odo appear and stop them, with Garak killing Entek in the process. Ghemor returns with Kira to Deep Space Nine, where tests prove she is Bajoran. Ghemor vows to find his real daughter, but also tells Kira that, until then, she is the closest thing to family he has.

This is one of my favorite episodes. I love how this episode explores the Cardassian infiltration techniques for espionage. It also gives us a great insight into Kira and her true personality.

This is an amazing episode for so many reasons that it would take forever to list them all. All you have to do is throw a Cardassian in a room with Kira and magic happens everytime. Also, Garak is hilarious at the end, "it's too bad, I rather liked him" or something like that haha

That was a very good episode. Which ending wuld you have preferred: The real ending, where Kira finds out that she is a Bajoran after all but that some Cardassians are good people, or the original ending, where Kira does not know whether she is a Bajoran or a Cardassian and learns that who you are is important, not where you came from?

That was a very good episode. Which ending wuld you have preferred: The real ending, where Kira finds out that she is a Bajoran after all but that some Cardassians are good people, or the original ending, where Kira does not know whether she is a Bajoran or a Cardassian and learns that who you are is important, not where you came from?

The mystery of not knowing would have been interesting, it could have added a new depth to her character and possibly could have allowed a small romance with Dukat which I think they were headed into in season's 5 and 6. But I won't complain with the way they did it, I think it worked out for the best in the end.

The mystery of not knowing would have been interesting, it could have added a new depth to her character and possibly could have allowed a small romance with Dukat which I think they were headed into in season's 5 and 6. But I won't complain with the way they did it, I think it worked out for the best in the end.

It's hard to say because a lot of things would have been changed and whole new stories would have brached out for Kira, especially when the Caradassians occupied DS9 for a couple of episodes.

I have just seen this fantastic ep from my new DVDset and I'm so excited about it. Kira did such a great acting job. Til the end I was not sure if Legate Ghemor was really believing that Kira was his daughter or if it was a trick.

Click for Spoiler:

Fortunately it was no trick and this likeable Cardie was honest.

I had seen all DS9 eps while they were aired and caught all the reruns. But I never taped them (I really do not know why I hadn't). Obviously I forgot some of the eps. BUT HOW COULD I FORGOT THIS ONE???????

Now I'm so happy with this DVDset from season 3 - hopefully I'll get them all at reasonable prices via Ebay.

Edited by Alterego