Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

What do you think of Romulans

I understand that the two times that Romulans were on TOS that they were quite different from those on TNG. Ronald D. Moore has been credited with bringing the richness of the Klingon culture to the screen and I read/heard that he "stole" many of the qualities of the TOS Romulans to give to the Klingons. We haven't see a lot of the Romulan culture but we have had glimpses into their pysche which showed a much different side to the sneaky, violent, power-hungry species that was shown often. TNG episodes like The Enemy, The Defector, Face of the Enemy, The Chase and Timescape showed us that different side. Unification Part 1 and 2 was our first chance to really see non-military Romulans.

What do you think of the Romulans?

I don't know that the TOS Romulans were all that different from the Romulans that we got to know in the other series. We really didn't get to know the Romulans in TOS very well but what we did know of them was that they are an honorable but warlike people.

We also get to see the Romulans in DS9 episodes "The Search", "Visionary", "Improbable Cause"/"The Die Is Cast", "In Purgatory's Shadow"/"By Inferno's Light", "In the Pale Moonlight" and then throughout season 7 during the war with the Dominion but notably in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" which is on Romulus.

So we actually got to learn a lot about the Romulans.

I've always wondered where and when Romulans ever displayed that they were honorable?I've only seen them lie,cheat,murder,attempt sabotage,scheme,and display a wide array of traits that fell way short of honor,even amongst themselves.So the saying that Romulans are honorable has always confused me.Surely,the Klingons have better displayed honor,in terms of Warrior's honor,and a sort of Bushido (samurai) code. :clap:

You can see signs of Honor in many instances of several episodes going all the way back to "Balance of Terror". If you took the TOS view of Klingons though and just went by that you would never know that Klingons are as honorable as they are.

Watch DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" and you will see a range of Romulan traits ranging from Honorable to downright deceitful.

I also think you see hints of their sense of Honor in TNG's "Face of the Enemy" and "The Defector" as well as some other Romulan episodes.

I actually enjoyed every Romulan episode in any Star Trek show. True they weren't very honorable people and usually had something up their sleeves, but there was always the nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that maybe we just weren't seeing all that they have to offer. I prefer the Rommies over the Vulcans anyday.

I like the Romulans a lot.

I like them even better than the Klingons :) .

I've always seen them as the "evil" twins of the Vulcans. My fave episode with Romulans is "The Enemy", the one in which Geordi and that Romulan are on that planet and have to rely on each other if they want to get back to their ships.

I also think the Romulans in TOS were great :clap:

I would have loved to see more of them, especially about the new warbird which was seen in Nemesis.

Mrs. Captain Picard

This has always been my problem. When TNG rolled around, I was already a Trekkie, and they wrote Romulan honor into the Klingon race. It was always jarring to see Romulans as the deceitful race of the universe.

Hands down, my apologies to Mr. Alaimo and the others, but Mark Leonard has always been the ultimate Romulan to me.

I think the Romulans as they have been portrayed on the previous series have been great. However, the beginnings of their story in the Saga have been missing from the tale so I look forward to (:)) seeing what happens with them at the start. ENT should be able to fill us in on at least some things about them without breaking canon.

I noticed that the Rommies seemed much more like Klingons in TOS. Now I know why there changed! I also thought the Klingons were alot different. They didn't seem so honorable. The were conquerers, but they would conquer through deceit and cowardly tactics... often running away from a good fight.

The romulans are the best race in the galaxy. I aspecially like the Tal Shiar the greatest intelligence service in the galaxy as well.

I wonder if any body realised that i am obsessed with the Romulans. :bow: :P :lol: :lol: B) B) :laugh::laugh:

B)

Edited by Tal Shiar 8472

I'm sorry.I still can't find anything honorable about the Romulans.The Klingons have a great warrior code of conduct,like Bushido in ancient Japan.But the Romulans lie,use decietful tactics,usually won't attack an opponent unless they have some advantage (either in numbers or by being cloaked).And even then,they can usually be bluffed into running off (cowardice).

I'm sorry.I still can't find anything honorable about the Romulans.The Klingons have a great warrior code of conduct,like Bushido in ancient Japan.But the Romulans lie,use decietful tactics,usually won't attack an opponent unless they have some advantage (either in numbers or by being cloaked).And even then,they can usually be bluffed into running off (cowardice).

Shhhh!Don't say that quite so loudly,FRinS!

You are in the Romulan Embassy,and they can be rather touchy on the subject of honor.

:lol:

The romulans are the best race in the galaxy.  I aspecially like the Tal Shiar the greatest intelligence service in the galaxy as well.

I wonder if any body realised that i am obsessed with the Romulans. :)  :)  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

:clap:

Yeah, we got that point pretty well! :biggrin: (again, the sorta-Romulan-LOOKING smilie)

The Romulans are one of the most misused species!!! Even if you hardly go beyond their original 'Romans in space' beginings they have tremendous story possibilities!!! Guess just have to watch Gladiator and imagine pointed ears LOL :assimilated::borg2::borg2:

Good timing - I just saw "The Neutral Zone" a few hrs ago. :assimilated:

The Romulans are probably my fav alien race. Yes, they're sneaky/cuniving/deceptive/backstabbing/untrustworthy/etc. (at least the Tal'Shiar), but they are one of the most intriguing Trek species. I especially loved how we got to learn more about the psyche of the Romulan people in "Face of the Enemy" and "Unification" - how the citizens behave under their military rule. They definitely deserved more airtime, but seeing them sparingly made them even more mysterious. Plus, Sela was a great character. :borg2:

I think it is pretty sad that Romulans live in fear of being weeded out by the Tal Shiar and how they are suspicious of everyone all the time, like the waitress in "Unification".

Actually the Romulan peoples are actually not that sneaky as most people precieve, most encounters with Romulans expressing sneaky motives occur with the Tal Shiar rather then the Galee. Also if you look at the TNG Romulan episodes involving Spock, and also the one where Troi was disguised as a Tal Shair operative showed a source of honour with in all Romulan ranks willing to change and rebond with their Vulcan bretheren.

There are also more things you need to consider about Romulans and Klingons, a Romulan tactic is far more sound then a Klingon tactic which is go in with disruptors blazing, sneaking on the enemy and getting the upperhand in the battle. Hmmmmm which one would you choose.

You may also have noticed that most encounters with the Romulans were in defense of their space when the Enterprise was going where they shouldn't have. There are many common misconceptions on the Romulans that exist because of their lack of exposure on Star Trek :laugh:

Its great to see civilian Romulans, it give a great insight into the Romulan culture. I think the reason that most of the Romulan Commanders we see are so devious is that they were picked for their deviousness (Romulan high command want devious ship commanders) This also explains the brutal ruthlessness of the Tal Shiar

Just to add to what Nemesis said, what would you do if you were the Romulan Praetor or Procounsul or some other important position and were setting strategy against your enemies? Would you go in and attack your enemies with all guns blazing, use up your resources, and make known to all your intentions? Or would you use cunning and subterfuge to get your enemies to fight each other, conserve your resources, and keep your options open? What makes more sense?

I agree with everyone who has defended Romulans. They are tied for my favorite species with Vulcans. I think they are misrepresented. I am sure they they are what circumstances made them. If you were forced off their planet for not agreeing with the majority, you probably would not like the rest of the universe either. I certainly would at the least become angry and distrustful. Also, several books (ex: Catalyst of Sorrows) give other examples of civilian Romulans that shows a very different side than the shows and movies.

Generally speaking, I thought the Romulans made the plot a lot more interesting and such...but I wouldn't want to meet one, I mean, they're just seem so sneaky and un-trustable. At least they make good liquor <_<

They are not really cold and distant. Just think- if you were on a warbird faced with an enemy who could blow you out of the stars at any moment, you would at least want to be dignified in front of them. And they seem tricky... well, read my topic aboput Romulan honor. I think that explains quite a lot.

Jolan Tru

Most Romulans are loving and caring people...towards one another. They are extremely Xenophobic, but can one blame them? I mean their alliance with the Klingons was nothing more then one sided, they were constantly bullied by the Klingons. They have had some bad instances with species outside their own, which has done nothing to improve their phsyche.

Also...the Romulan Galae hates the tal'shiar as much as anyone else :( Romulans are very much like Japanese in culture (From what i have read) in the way they respect and honor each other.

I read... somewhere, I forgot where, that the Romulans are so xenophobic because they had some awful experiences at their First Contact. They have a right to be like that. If the first new race you encountered betrayed you, then you would be afraid of all races too. I quite agree.