Sign in to follow this  
captainfreeman

Operation Urgent Fury

On October,13th,2003 the 20th anniversary of Operation Urgent Fury came.Twenty years ago,President Ronald Reagan directed United States military forces against the Marxist government on Grenada,in an effort to both rescue American medical students and end the threat of Communist expansion in the Caribbean.The operation was an overwhelming success,however not without casualties.

At the time I had been out of the United States Navy for less than two-years,and had only just began my teaching career.However,a very dear friend of mine,a brother,was still in the service and was one of the many servicemen called to duty.One of 19 who did not return home.I still miss him.He was the best friend I ever had,and one of the funniest,gentlest people I have ever been fortunate enough to know.

"Tell them,tell them when you get home that I gave all of my tomorrows so they could have today."......transcribed upon the tombstone of an unknown American soldier,who fought and died in the Pacific during WW2.

Edited by captainfreeman

now thats a true testament to a friend, and a tragic event. im sorry for the loss of your friend, i know it is a very hard thing to deal with. but i think thats great to remember him like this. and i love the quote of the tomb of the unknown soldier, ive heard it before but never knew what it was from.

I'm sorry for your loss,and eternally grateful for the sacrafice of your friend,and the countless other men and women like him who have given their lives for our freedom.Great tribute,Captain.

:clap:

I had no idea.The Grenada campaign isn't even generally remembered anymore,and that's a shame.Any conflict that resulted in dead American servicemen should be better remembered.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I didn't know you had been in the Navy.Both myself and my roomate,warbird crewman joran are attending school on the army's dime,so to speak.When we graduate we belong to Uncle Sam for 5-years....