Sign in to follow this  
justatrekluvr

Q/data/b4

TNG is not TNG without Data!

I'd have to disagree with that statement. While Data was an integral part of TNG, It would have been reasonably easy to replace him and his part in the TNG storyline with a young Vulcan, trying hard to understand his/her human shipmates, but then again, most people would probably just complain that he/she was just a Spock retread.

Guest Garzo

We have to remember that the reality of Star Trek will always lie at the tip of a writer's pen. Nemesis has been criticized for being too similar to The Wrath fo Khan. There is truth in this of course. Spock managed to "save" his consciousness, his spirit, in McCoy's mind while his own empty shell of a body was rejuvinated on Genesis. After properly aging, his consciousness was downloaded back into him.

Had Nemesis been a success, which it obviously was not, we may have seen another installment with Picard and crew, "The Search for Data," where a "copy" of Data's consiousness is found on the Enterprise's computer, or on a disk in Data's quarters, whatever. My point is that through those crafty scribes, a story could have easily been developed to bring Data back via B4. Remember, Spock was not himself at the end of ST3 and was still a bit whacked in ST4. By ST5, he was back to normal.

The existence of B4 was such an obvious plot contrivance -- a set-up to leave the door open to Data's possible return. Yes he's become a sentient android. So what. The point is, his sentience was still encoded software on his positronic brain which could have arguably been transferred to B4 had a copy of Data's conscience existed.

Would you not make a backup copy of your brain on your harddisk if you could, in case of an emergency? In case you suffered a severe head injury? Imagine, there you are in a seemingly hopeless coma, doctors ready to pull the plug. No problem -- wipe his brain clean, we will reinstall his consiousness afterwards, reboot him and he'll be back to normal. His most recent memories which had not been saved would obviously be missing.

It would have been possible for Data to do this. Why wouldn't he? I believe he would have, if not for his own desire to survive, then surely for posterity and for science. It's just too bad Nemesis crashed at the box office, but that's what they get for being so unoriginal.

Personally, I'd like to see Archer, Tucker and the Enterprise on the big screen battling it out with dastardly (human?!) space pirates (who have perhaps captured and enslaved T'Pol?).

wow this was a bad debate to come late into..Cap and prometheus have made good points....as have the all powerful Soong sisters. Yes yes Data is a machine..hmm mm..he does not have a soul. If for some reason they pull some cheesy Q rescue or Romulan capture or alternate dimension shenagians it would only cheapen his "death" What proof do we actually have that he is dead! The guys a freakin robot!! he can float around till someone picks him up..But I agree with another post..Spiner is done. B4 will have to filter thru all the stuff Data has accumulated throughout his life and for that to take place in a movie would slow it down and I don't want to see Geordi fretting over his Old freind while talking to B4. As fans it is very important that we distance ourselves sometimes from the characters and try to see the story that is unfolding without adding emotional attachments. It is time for a Voyager-DS9 movie..if Paramount can warrant one..I am going to start a new thread for this question..Would a TV movie of TNG be a bad idea? check the thread.

as have the all powerful Soong sisters.

I don't think we have ever been referred to as that before. :blink:

As a huge Data fan I was, of course, not wanting Data to die. Having said that I loved Nemesis. I think it is the best Trek movie I have seen. If they can't come up with a really plausible way to resurrect Data then I will be content to watch B4 grow and develop. He won't be Data that's for sure but I have every faith in Brent Spiner to give us a new character that we can love. I just hope we get the chance to see it.

as have the all powerful Soong sisters.

I don't think we have ever been referred to as that before. :blink:

As a huge Data fan I was, of course, not wanting Data to die. Having said that I loved Nemesis. I think it is the best Trek movie I have seen. If they can't come up with a really plausible way to resurrect Data then I will be content to watch B4 grow and develop. He won't be Data that's for sure but I have every faith in Brent Spiner to give us a new character that we can love. I just hope we get the chance to see it.

Chalk up another Soong Sister vote for this one! I too would be content to see B4 grow and develop in another movie. He can never be another Data. As they are separate people. I can and will always wish for Data to come back somehow, but if this cannot be, then I would go to trek XI to see Brent portray B4.

Well lets see now...we ahve been called part of the Soong Dynasty...Canon... and now all powerful. How is it that i can maintain an inferiority complex with all of this being said about us? :blink:

thanks!

Anyway...if there was time to see B-4 develop, that would be great, but Spiner and Stewart are not spring chickens anymore (But i'm not either..) and there really will not be time to see it done right. Now maybe if someone continues the story in novel form, there we could see it done, but i worry about this...but Nemesis just came out in Dec, so maybe someone is writing one now.

There is a rather good story on fanfiction.net right now that centers around Data's memories and how they could effect B-4. It's sad, but very well done...you all should check it out as it deals with many of the things we have all been talking about.

But i still want Data back if it can be well done!

Well lets see now...we ahve been called part of the Soong Dynasty...Canon... and now all powerful. How is it that i can maintain an inferiority complex with all of this being said about us?  :blink:

thanks!

Anyway...if there was time to see B-4 develop, that would be great, but Spiner and Stewart are not spring chickens anymore (But i'm not either..) and there really will not be time to see it done right. Now maybe if someone continues the story in novel form, there we could see it done, but i worry about this...but Nemesis just came out in Dec, so maybe someone is writing one now.

There is a rather good story on fanfiction.net right now that centers around Data's memories and how they could effect B-4. It's sad, but very well done...you all should check it out as it deals with many of the things we have all been talking about.

But i still want Data back if it can be well done!

I think I have read that story you are referring to. I won't reveal details of what I read, just in case anyone wants to be surprised when they read it. If it is the same, it is very interesting!!!! And I agree that it would be interesting to see a novel about the events after Nemesis, if we can't have another movie.

And of course, I agree with your last statement Lessa!

I was sure I said this somewheere, but - I'd love to see him evolve into HISOWN PERSON. Not another Data, but of course I think he should come back too...I dunno about anENT movie just yet. Lets wait until the series is done, then we can have all teh movies we awant.