Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

Brett Favre

If you were an NFL General Manager, how much would you pay for Brett Favre?

Alot of money. A first ballot hall of fame player, Brett Favre's name brings with it imagery of what an NFL Quarterback SHOULD be. Well, most of the time, he is exactly who most teams would want calling the plays. An experienced veteran who's seen it all and done it all at least twice.

Now, the Minnesota Vikings are considering throwing some cash Mr. Favre's way for him to come and play for their ball club this season. What will the Vikings be getting?

The NFL's career touchdown pass leader, who has thrown 464 touchdowns in 18 seasons. No Quarterback has started more consecutive games than Brett Favre, either. almost 17 complete seasons of consecutive starts. And of those career starts, over 260 of them, he has won 169 of them. No Quarterback can match THAT number either. Completions, Attempts, Yards, and his longest pass are all NFL records. Not bad for someone with an 85.7 Quarterback rating.

Wait, what? His QB rating is only 85.7? Surely I'm reading the stats wrong. Someone this great can't have such a vanilla QB rating, right? Well, see, Here's the thing. To go along with those records I mentioned, he's got this one for you. the NFL record for most interceptions in a career, with over 305 picks in 18 seasons. He averages 17 interceptions a year, or once a game, plus an extra for the bye. twice in the last four years, he's led the league in Interceptions by throwing for more than 20. in 2005, Favre very nearly threw 30 interceptions.

So...there IS a dark side. Us Packers fans know it all too well. Think back to the 2007 season. NFC Championship Game. Packers and Giants. Favre's last pass as a Green Bay Packer was an overtime interception that sealed the deal for the eventual Superbowl Champions. But, it's a risk/reward kind of thing. Having Brett Favre, even at almost 40, can give your team a big boost. But, his addiction to interceptions can lay ruin to the best laid superbowl ambitions.

Oh, and don't think the Packer's Secondary isn't salivating over the idea of Favre in Minnesota. The Packers' Secondary ain't scared of Favre.

Farve should just call it quits for good. i mean if were me, i'd stop stalling and just get his broadcasters degree and work for fox or espn for christs sake.

Farve should just call it quits for good. i mean if were me, i'd stop stalling and just get his broadcasters degree and work for fox or espn for christs sake.

1) Most ex-football players that end up in the broadcasters booth do NOT have a broadcasters degree........

2) If Brett Favre can still do the job, why shouldn't he? Nobody gave Vinnie Testaverde this much grief!

Edited by Kor37

As Amy can attest, I've never been a big Favre fan but I do understand him wanting to keep playing now that his sports mortality is in sight. He's almost 40 and the number of days left for him to play professional football are just that, days. If he wants to hold on and go out kicking and screaming then I don't blame him. He should play for as long as he wants to, as long as someone will pay him to play. Because once he hangs it up for good and steps away, it's all over. There's no going back.

1) Most ex-football players that end up in the broadcasters booth do NOT have a broadcasters degree........

2) If Brett Favre can still do the job, why shouldn't he? Nobody gave Vinnie Testaverde this much grief!

he is studying for his broadcasters degree....

I can see a great reason to have Favre as a QB, if you have a young QB fresh out of college who better for him to learn the game and maybe a work ethic from than favre. Being an old geezer I remember when football players didn't sit out 1/2 the season for a sprained toe or hemorrhoids and Favre is a player like that with a great work ethic. A young QB being Favre's backup could be a great learning experience for the kid and make him more of an asset for the team.

Brett should retire. Period.

No, I think he should play another 10 years. Play for the Vikings for a couple, the the Bears and heck maybe even the Lions...

No, I think he should play another 10 years. Play for the Vikings for a couple, the the Bears and heck maybe even the Lions...

And why would you want that? (she asks, already knowing the anwer)

No special reason... :)

uh huh

uh huh

If the Eagles don't/can't get to and win the Super Bowl then I'll root for the Vikings to do it (if Favre's there). Eagles fans have been forced to share Reggie White with the Packers for the sole reason that they won a Super Bowl while he played there. If Favre can go someplace else and win a Super Bowl then Packers fans will see what it's like to have to share a team hero/legend with some other fanbase/franchise.