Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Kirk or Picard

Who Is Your Favorite?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Kirk vs. Picard

• Kirk!!
    • Picard!!

This is it! The battle of battles!! Who do you like more, Kirk or Picard? This isn't a poll about your favorite captain (Janeway, Sisko, Archer) but between these two, who is your favorite? Even if you like both equally, you tend to like one more than the other. So, which is it? The epic battle of fandom has begun!

Who is your favorite Kirk or Picard? You can give your reasons or not

My vote is Kirk

Kirk! Picard is a great captain and I enjoyed watching him deal with the issues of his time in his way but Cowboy Diplomacy was more fun imo.

I guess it would depend on if we're talking about Shatner's Kirk or pine's kirk. If its Shatner's Kirk then he would win. If its pine's then Picard gets my vote.

You may all have Kirk, by all means! *grin* I'll take my beloved Jean-Luc and we'll be on our way... :)

For me it is a tie. Kirk was first, so will always be special. I however over the years have come to really appriciate Picard's character. I wish they had not killed Kirk's character off in Generations and they could have done another movie together.

if you ask me, i'd rather have picard over kirk any day. then again they're both equally reckless, more times messing up the space-time continuum between them than i would like to count, not to mention, they've both destroyed a vessel named enterprise!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, but Jim 'turned death into a fighting chance to live'..even if he did sacrifice His Lady....as would Jean-Luc if rergretfully, for sake of his friends, and crew....

true....but picard was always prepared to die for his crew. kirk wasnt'.

Give just ONE example where Kirk wasn't....... :)

i could say genesis....but i'd be talking out of my ass

Thats what I thought you were doing....... :)

Kirk gave his life to help the Enterprise B get out of the Nexus

Precisely. Jim valued those under his command greatly. Remember the death of poor Yeoman Thompson at the hands of the Kelvans in ''By Any Other Name?''...the expression on his face, as he held in his hands what remained of her...or when he faced not one but what, the deaths of two or more security guards in 'the Apple'....and the ultimate selfless act was at the end of Generations..where he died with a smile on his lips..knowing that 'He had made a difference'...and...''It was...fun.'' Both Captains, whatever their eras, were committed to defending the Federation, and all its peoples, to if need be, give up their lives-even those of their crew-to protect those countless beings. The Kobayashi Maru taught that, if you are in Starfleet, you had best be prepared to make that sacrifice..and even in so doing..go into that Undiscovered Country with grace...but then, some just hate to lose, so, we'll forgive Jim there... desiring to defeat death, is not the same as being also unwilling to accept-if it must come.

but didn't he go into the nexus?

all because of his record....i mean look at the number of times he's disobeyed starfleet to the number of times picard has? it's no wonder why he wouldn't be allowed to command a starship....

I will admit, that in the Shatner novels his impatience with the current Starfleet-which was quite knowingly and intentionally made a clear part of the fabric of much of the past tales-was borne out, and, as evidenced with some equal irritation from Admiral Janeway for his 'style'...but he acted, if outside the bounds, at whatever points, to do what he felt was crucial to what was so deeply affecting him in the books-such as the abduction of his son, rescuing his wife, etc....he has been branded a rebel, in the non-canon Shatbooks...but I think many fans still appreciate the full speed ahead style that, in the end, gets it done....and he is set apart that way from the other Trek captains-who, HOWEVER-in various moments-have had their little bursts of 'Insurrection'-wink wink..but Jean-Luc's came out of what he saw as a righteous cause-done as a remote Starfleet was unaware of goings on, true...and the future Kathryn tossed the TPD out the window..for the sake of two she loved-again, devotion to one's friends-crew...to me, to many a reader, a dramtic, powerfully moving, and completely human act....and Jonathan Archer would never have been afraid to do as he felt it morally necessary, if pushed to it...Kirk is 'colorful'. He is headstrong. He doesn't allow what he sees as ANY obstacle sway him, yes, at times...but this is part of what makes him the dynamic personality that has marked him as a legend, because he just doesn't quit...and if nothing else, THAT is a powerful thing. Not to 'argue' here..just to state some opinions, eh?....but, (wink, wink) I have a feeling Jean-Luc will in the non-canon books have that Admiral promotion-and keep it-Kirk did not. But, who wants to see Jim Kirk chained to a desk, in any time or place,when he can be out there 'hoppin' galaxies'....

Edited by Voyager recruit

but didn't he go into the nexus?

Kirk didn't know what the nexus was, no one in the crew did. He did it cause the Captain's place is on the bridge. Kirk basically knew he could be killed by going down to the deflector control room. You can't say a sacrifice doesn't count cause he was brought back.

A great example of Kirk sacrificing for his ship and crew was in "City on the Edge of Forever" when he let Edith Keeler die to let the future happen.

I vote Picard. Kirk, though highly entertaining and the first Captain we met, was too brash and too much of a womanizer for me. Picard was more of a thinker and yet able to act when needed, and just as heroic.

Picard :superhappy:

(tho if there'd been a choice of Kirks it might have been different :S)