Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

Voyager: Weakest Cast?

I want to know your thoughts on Voyager's cast compared to TNG and DS9. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Voyagar and while very far from being poorly acted (not even close), I don't think it quite had the same level of quality as TNG and DS9, though with that being said, Robert Picardo was amazing, and Ryan and Mulgrew had a lot of great moments too.

Well, I haven't seen very much of DS9. They used to run it here at 3:00 in the morning, and I taped it... but now they don't show it at all. But I think Voyager had a great cast. I think that the crew on Voyager are more of a "family" than any other series I've seen. It probably comes from being so far away from everything they know. And Q said it best when he told Janeway, "You've certainly been a mommy to this crew." ("Q2") I think she really is a mom. She's more like a mom-captain than just a captain. Anyway, I think it is overall a great cast. Neelix is pretty annoying, but I've learned to tolerate him. The only one who could use some work is Chakotay. Seven has more of a personality than him. He's a great person, and a great first officer and everything... he just needs a little more personality.

haha yeah, Neelix was kind of annoying though I liked his depature episode and he had some comedic moments with Tuvok.

I agree it was more of a family. More friendships seemed to develop than in other series and Janeway was a bit of a mom at times, definitely.

:) :) While I liked the Next Generation, I enjoyed Voyager more than any other series, because of all of the relationship issues it dealt with.......I supposed that's the psychologist in me coming out. I tried but I was never able to get into DS9........just never could identify with the characters in the series. All of the characters in Voyager at times had their shinning momments. But I supposed Nelix was featured least of all.

i think the cast is pretty good in voy. but, yes, tng and ds9 are much better and i think much deeper characters. i dont watch voy as much as the other series but i have seen alot of the episodes. i have really taken a shine to the ds9 cast and have started watching that alot.,

Well, DS9 is my favorite of all the series and I believe had the deepest and strongest crew character wise. I wouldn't say Voyager was a weak cast though. It was just a different makeup.

Well, DS9 is my favorite of all the series and I believe had the deepest and strongest crew character wise. I wouldn't say Voyager was a weak cast though. It was just a different makeup.

Perhaps.

Right now they just started Season 7 of DS9 on the space channel here in Canada. I must say, the more I watch DS9 the more it's becoming my favorite show, which is rather surprising because when it first came on I couldn't stand it.

As for Voyager, I didn't really mean it was poorly acted just compared to DS9 and TNG. I think one of the reasons I liked Voyager and why some people don't like it, is because it was more light-hearted. Yes, there were many dark episodes and what not, but Voyager was just more "fun" than the other series in my opinion.

I agree that Voyager probably had the weakest cast. It was a good show but non of the characters ever grabed me like they did in TOS, TNG, or DS9. I'm still un-decided on how I feel about the Enterprise cast. I think that they have a lot more potintial than the Voyager cast ever did, but as of yet very few of the characters have touched me. TNG is my favorite series but I think that DS9 might have my favorite cast. Everyone on that show just worked so well together and they were all very believeable.

I don't know. I have watched all of the st series ( tos, tng, ds9,voy oh and enterprise) and in tos you have the butt kicking romance type of crew in tng you have the peace loving crew and ds9 was all technological and battle , voy was all moral codes and well I dont watch enterprise ( for before stated reason so I cant/will not have an oppinion for that) I guess it all depends on what kind of person the viewer is and what they are into to see who is the weaker cast.

For me I like voyager for many reasons :blink: . but I think (for me) ds9 was the weaker cast kust because (for me) I didn't get most of the plot. ;)

The personalitys and relationsships on voyager is probably what I think gives the series a lesser grade then the others..

At first i think there is a much higher percentage of REALLY annoying persons :wow:

like Neelix :laugh: and Kez (who has her moments but is to much of an angel)..

Harry Kim also irritates me sometimes, don't know why i'm afraid.

And then we have Janeway, who sure is a great actress, but she just doesn't have that respect that a captain should have.. just doesn't feel right..

I'm not saying i dont like the series, i love them all, but voyager is far from TNG as i consider "perfect" B)

I think that the crew was really weak at first, but I liked how they introduced the Maquis and Starfleet officers together. By the last season, I felt that everyone had come a long way in relations. I'm not sure how well I would place their teamwork with TNG or DS9 for instance, but I really ended up liking the crew/cast after watching a lot of episodes.

I never thought they were weak at all. In fact they;re my second favourite crew of ST. But there is SOMETHING different about VOY from TNG and DS9 and I don't mean just visual quality. Something subtle seems to be...missing...

I think someone mentioned this before, but adding my views i think i would just repeat... I think that the Voyager Cast was excellent in the way they showed their relationships and their strong determination to get home. Personally I did not see TNG or DS9, but I have seen the movies of Star Trek and it really doesnt seem that the actors strengths or weakness' show. They protray their characters with believable characteristics that relate to people in real life. Harry Kim was a personal favorite of mine becuase it was a grown up actor acting like a young Ensgin; he was the only one who annoyed me by wanting to impress the Captain, but wouldnt this be any other asperations for a young Ensign? Also Chakotay was a believable character, as a Native American he protrayed a real emotional character with strong spiritual believes. He knew about his past and tried to use the traditional ways in his future life. Seven of Nine was excellent, I just hate the way that she was used as a Hollywood sex symbol. Everytime I viewed her I did not understand why people came to the conclusion that her character was just to introduce more males to watching Voyager. Although they might of been trying to watch Seven, her acting skills prevailed over her sexual outer beauty. Torres, EMH, Neelix, Kes, Janeway and others were also excellent showing their true talent.

weakest cast?, yes, weakest script?,yes, i really didnt like a whole lot about this line of trek. voyager is my least liked show in the series, the rest i like or love, but voyager was always dissapointing to me. and the series finale, well, SUCKED BIG TIME. IMHO. what kinda fd up way was that to end a show. janeway as a captain just was wholly unbeleivable. kim was annoying, kes, and neelix were really annoying, and the whole paris, torres relationship, well, also SUCKED. i had high hopes for it when it first came out, and i was very dissapointed, didnt watch it much at all, till the last season trying to see if it was at least going to end on a high note. well again i was disapointed. the only good thing about it was jerry ryan, oh yeah, another trek babe. yeah. well im sure ill get a lot of flak for this post but thats how i feel. anyone stuck so far away from anything remotley feeling like home, is going to do what they have to do to get home, not keep passing up opportunities to get home because, " the prime directive". as a crew member i wouldve been killed for mutiny, against a piss poor captain who had no clue on what to do for her crew.

While I would agree with many of the things you say, it is your opinion and you deserve to voice it, I would only ask you be considerate of them that might not share your views, please use less colorful metaphors to say it, thank you.

I think Enterprise has the weakest cast. I mean they have a bad leader, an engineer who doesn't do his job and has lunch most of the time, a token black guy who needs more screen time, a vulcan who is getting annoying, (like Trip) and a suicidal weapons officer. The cast also seems to be so bland that the only member of the cast that has talent is Billingsly. I used to this voyager had the weakest cast, because they didn't utilize most of them and the show became "The 7/janeway/doctor show." However, ENT has surpassed that after the first season.

In ranking the series based on cast, I would have to go with:

TNG

ST

DS9

VOY

ENT

I would only ask you be considerate of them that might not share your views, please use less colorful metaphors to say it

oops sorry, your right, just sometime i guess i get a little passionate about somethings. sorry to anyone who found my colorful metaphores disturbing. but i still dont like voyager so much. maybe next time i'll try to stick to short and sweet. :laugh:

I don't think there is a weakest cast. For me, each show is it's own series of adventures, connected to the Trek universe, but enjoyable as it's own story.

The core component of a tv show, in my opinion, is the cast of characters. For the setting and theme of each show, I say they each have had an excellent cast! My only complaint is: In the Voyager series, I would have preferred more developement of Chakotay and Harry along with more than one guest appearance of Kes after she left the show.

I think Enterprise has the weakest cast.  I mean they have a bad leader, an engineer who doesn't do his job and has lunch most of the time, a token black guy who needs more screen time, a vulcan who is getting annoying, (like Trip) and a suicidal weapons officer.  The cast also seems to be so bland that the only member of the cast that has talent is Billingsly.  I used to this voyager had the weakest cast, because they didn't utilize most of them and the show became "The 7/janeway/doctor show."  However, ENT has surpassed that after the first season.

In ranking the series based on cast, I would have to go with:

TNG

ST

DS9

VOY

ENT

same, but my mind is open...I don't like ENT now, but there's plenty of time for change!