Sign in to follow this  
He Who Shall Not Be Named

Unanswered Questions in Star Trek XI

OK, this is not a review thread per se, I just figured it made sense to put this topic with the other reviews since that is where people are looking for their information on the new movie. If this isn't the spot then feel free to move it.

I'm also not going to worry about spoilers. The movie has been out for a week, most of us have seen it twice or more, and I think at this point there aren't any secrets anymore.

I do have some unanswered questions. Others can answer these and / or submit questions of your own.

Q1) What the heck is Chekov's role on the ship now? He seems to be some kind of internal coomunications, mathematician, transporter guru - but these are all roles that could be covered by other people.

Q2) That alien that hangs around Scotty sure looked a lot like the natives of Kolarus III who chased after the Argo in Nemesis. It even had the same eyeshades. Are they the same species?

Q3) Where is Lt. Leslie (the red / blue / yellow / even civilian shirt in one episode who was brought back to llife due to an editing mistake) and who playes him now?

Q4) Where the heck are the bathrooms now? You would think that after 3 TOS seasons with no bathrooms the producers would have thought of that one.

Q5) Getting back to Chekov, do we know anything about either set of parents? I'm thinking that maybe only one of his parents from TOS iis also one of his parents in XI. That would explain the younger age and different hair.

I think Chekov's role in this new timeline is to be Wesley Crusher......... :superhappy:

Q1) What the heck is Chekov's role on the ship now? He seems to be some kind of internal coomunications, mathematician, transporter guru - but these are all roles that could be covered by other people.

Chekov is still the navigator, but he is also a math whiz, which fits pretty well with the fact that he was basically back-up science officer on the Enterprise.

Q2) That alien that hangs around Scotty sure looked a lot like the natives of Kolarus III who chased after the Argo in Nemesis. It even had the same eyeshades. Are they the same species?

Nope.

Click for Spoiler:

KolarusIIIHumanoid.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

Keenser.jpg

Q3) Where is Lt. Leslie (the red / blue / yellow / even civilian shirt in one episode who was brought back to llife due to an editing mistake) and who playes him now?

He's not there. He could always show up later.

Q5) Getting back to Chekov, do we know anything about either set of parents? I'm thinking that maybe only one of his parents from TOS iis also one of his parents in XI. That would explain the younger age and different hair.

We know his dad's name is Andrei (as evidence by Chekov's middle name: Andreievich). That's it. Oh, and I guess that they're Russian.

Nope.

Click for Spoiler:

KolarusIIIHumanoid.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

Keenser.jpg

Well they at least have the same optomotrist.

I'll give you that.

The Bathrooms?????

The same place they have always been!!!!!!!! :roflmao:

Well hidden! I don't know about you but I would not want them, showing me, asking to be excused to potty, or actually going. Besides most learn to basics in School as to where things are. So, when they get on Ship they don't need someone to tell them or show them where. Besides, I would not want to be on a ship that has door signs either. It's all modern up to date . (Think future, Think common Knowledge. )

Another unanswered question:

We now know that Kirk in this timeline is a Beastie Boys fan. Their song "Intergalactic" came out in 1998 and has a line that says "Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock"

So how does Mr. Spock get introduced to the Beastie Boys for that line to appear in the song? And why doesn't Kirk recognise the name?

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Another unanswered question:

We now know that Kirk in this timeline is a Beastie Boys fan. Their song "Intergalactic" came out in 1998 and has a line that says "Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock"

So how does Mr. Spock get introduced to the Beastie Boys for that line to appear in the song? And why doesn't Kirk recognise the name?

Well lets say there is a song out there with Chataeya in it and you listen to the song cause it's done by a group you love to listen to, you hear the name and know it but real don't know me in person. Now time goes by and you and I run into each other, under extreme condisions. That song is so far from your mind right now that it just doesn't click.

Now maybe later on after everything has calmed down (which they don't show as of yet) my name will click.

This is more then likely what will happen in the next movie. After all if you know there will be more movies on this subject it gives you something to work with.

Maybe they don't have bathrooms in the future - you just take a pill and your digestive system uses all your food and liquid with no by-products. :roflmao: But I guess you'd still need some place to throw up the Romulan Ale.

***For what it's worth - on a ep of SG1 - someone actually asked where the facilities were on a spaceship ***

I think Chekov's role in this new timeline is to be Wesley Crusher......... :roflmao:

Funny you should say that. On my first viewing, my friend leaned over and said to me "I don't remember Wesley Crusher being Russian."

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Toilet

You don't hear much about the toilets on star trek. Maybe when the ship get attack in Star Trek XII they can say the toilet system was damaged. lol

Nw I'm wondering why you can't flush while in space dock.

Edited by Spike The Trill

I seem to remember in a Voyager episode, most of the bathrooms in the crew quarters weren't functioning. Neelix was getting all worked up about it saying that lines were forming for the public restrooms.

Because your crap might hit other ships.

Wouldn't it all be recycled? Trip explained it, I just don't remember the details.

Big deal. Neelix got worked up about running out of some damn spice that only he cared about anyway.

Neelix got worked up about everything.

Edited by Spike The Trill

Hah, I think Neelix gets worked up too much and has delusions as to the level of his importance on the ship.

The point was that he actually talked about the bathrooms on the ship. Thus proving their existence.

I have no doubt they exist on a starship. Remember in First Contact when Cochran asked Geordi if people from the future ever peed?

To be fair, however, Geordy was confused by the question and didn't really give a straight answer.

On Enterprise, in the second or third episode or so, the Captain was doing a Q & A for an elementary school. They explained that waste is put through a "resequencer" which allows them to recycle waste and turn it into whatever they need, notably bulkheads.

God, I'm a nerd.

On Enterprise, in the second or third episode or so, the Captain was doing a Q & A for an elementary school. They explained that waste is put through a "resequencer" which allows them to recycle waste and turn it into whatever they need, notably bulkheads.

God, I'm a nerd.

Then so am I. That's what I was thinking too! Embrace it, SEB... embrace it...

Well, the line was put in-along with others, by the writers, to give a nod to the other Trek, and they wanted to have some little 'Easter eggs' for the fans to enjoy....it does seem it would be, as VanRoy indicates, to be pushing the limits of then-Earth medicine....but an Earth, which by series' end-ten years after ''Broken Bow'', saw the beginnings of the later-UFP...in which one could imagine it possible, for various races to share knowledge....medical data included. So, if not before the end of STE, then later...plenty of time for Archer, in what, his forties at the time of those first missions, to get an extended lifespan...and surely, it wouldn't have been so casually thrown in the film, without at least some thought put behind it-I know, I know, it's been argued that other things weren't, but let's leave that little topic to itself, eh? So, it does seem viable, in the end, to me....something for someone to ask the guys who put the film together....I hope it's so!!