Amazing!

I went into this film with ideas of reboot dominating my thoughts. While I was optimistic, all the talk of it being one had truly contaminated my perceptions to the point I didn't think I was going to be seeing a Star Trek film at all. I expected just another Hollywood popcorn flick that would have very little in common with what I know Trek to be. My only hope lay in the multiple reviews I'd read singing it's praises, but could they be trusted to understand Trek as I do?

Well the film soon straightened me out about a few things. From the opening scenes this puppy was oozing a Star Trek vibe that caught me by surprise. Having properly hooked me, the film then took control of the situation, dictating terms on how this was going to go down. It was telling me what and when to think and feel, I became it's bitch. It slapped the mental notebook I'd brought along to record nitpicks with out of my thoughts. I thought I heard a voice whispering in my ear saying, forget ll all the bull you heard, forget your fears. Buckle up and prepare to go somewhere you haven't gone for a very long time. Comforted, I completely forgot all the fear and paranoia of something terrible happening to Star Trek. I remember saying to myself: This is Star Trek.

Then the opening sequence rolled and I realized the teaser section alone was worth the price of admission.

The rest was gravy. A delightful mix of the familiar with a dash of difference thrown in for flavor. Original Series dishes worthy of a 5 star restaurant were lavishly brought out & served with flair, OS style and in just the right proportions to keep me from being filled up too early. Whenever I thought I saw a fly in the dish I would remember TOS wasn't without its bugs, (Spock's Brain anyone?) leading to a smile and a dismissal.

On the Technology. Very big, shiny and different but at the same time very played down here and that is how it should be imo. The tech should take a back seat to the characters and story. I know Tech will and does play a part in our lives but it should be a very limited part of the Trek story with only a few exceptions where the story demnds it. I know some people really like that part of Trek but I think it was partly responsible for killing old Trek. How the ship works became more important than why it existed in the first place. I hope NuTrek always keeps the Tech as low key as possible.

On the characters. While I never specifically felt a Kirk moment from Chris Pine I accept him as a younger Kirk. I do expect more Kirkisms to emerge from Pines performances of him in future sequels.

Zachary Quinto is visually a fine stand in for Spock. His sound is off but the writing, which is spot on imo, makes it easy to suspend disbelief.

Karl Urban has been taken over by DeForrest Kelly!

Yes Roy, Zoe Saldana is hot but is she Uhura? I didn't see Uhura with her except in the writing, the writing was for Uhura but I didn't see Uhura in the performances. I'll look more closely next time...

Simon Pegg, John Cho & Anton Yelchin were fine as Scott, Sulu and Chekov.

Spock Prime was brilliantly written and performed by Nimoy!

Eric Bana's performance as Nero probably would have felt pretty flat if I hadn't read Countdown.

I absolutely love what they did with the character of Chis Pike which leads us to this films biggest flaw or accomplishment depending on your POV; the timeline. I m not going into that here though as a hundred threads about it will undoubtedly be started about it so I will wait and address it in them.

I really like the new Trek Theme. I hope the DVD has a "soundtrack" only option as I have heard the soundtrack release and I don't like it as much as I do the films actual soundtrack.

The movie does partially explain a fair number of back story plot points but if you want a more detailed story on events leading up to this flick I recommend you pick up a copy of Countdown. It is not necessary to understand this film but it does enhance the experience. (Knowing the origins of the Narada and Jellyfish, for examples.)

Bottom line: Do you like TOS and want to see a story crafted and told in a similar style again? See Star Trek.

Not a big TOS fan but open to seeing a Star Trek film which pays homage to the series which started it all? See Star Trek.

Were you never a Star Trek fan at all but like a good movie with humor, drama and fun audience participation? See Star Trek.

In the end, Star Trek takes a bold direction which may, no, will challenge hardcore fan ideas about what is possible within its, IMO, silly 'rules' of what is possible in the Star Trek Universe. You're either going to like it or hate it but either way, "Star Trek" is Star Trek.

I thought most of the characters were spot on.....except for Chekov. When did Chekov become some kind of boy genius? He was never particularly bright druing TOS. Mostly sat at the navigation console. Also screamed a lot.....lol. Plus , later on, especially in Trek 6, he didn't seem like much of a genius.....remember the thing with the shoes? Did Abrams perhaps get Chekov's character mixed up with Wesley?....... :P

:P Great review. I actually think (I'm going to make so many enemies here lol) that Chris Pine does Kirk better than Shatner ever did. He is Kirk imo. Karl Urban was amazing! Zoe does a beautiful job as Uhura (always my favorite character). She's not yet as "refined" as Uhura in the show, but she's a lovely younger Uhura. I'm not 100% sold on Winona Ryder as Amanda, but she didn't do it badly at all, it just didn't feel quite right. Regardless she also did a fine job. I have no complaints at all.

I thought most of the characters were spot on.....except for Chekov. When did Chekov become some kind of boy genius? He was never particularly bright druing TOS. Mostly sat at the navigation console. Also screamed a lot.....lol. Plus , later on, especially in Trek 6, he didn't seem like much of a genius.....remember the thing with the shoes? Did Abrams perhaps get Chekov's character mixed up with Wesley?....... :P

Still, that was a funny scene when the computer couldn't understand him. I can't forgive everything they did with the character, especially the new haircut, but that scene makes up for a lot.

Hear hear!

:sweatdrop:

Quite so. :superhappy:

(But your av kind of freaks me out, AE. :eek: :P )

:spock:

;) Great review. I actually think (I'm going to make so many enemies here lol) that Chris Pine does Kirk better than Shatner ever did. He is Kirk imo. Karl Urban was amazing! Zoe does a beautiful job as Uhura (always my favorite character). She's not yet as "refined" as Uhura in the show, but she's a lovely younger Uhura. I'm not 100% sold on Winona Ryder as Amanda, but she didn't do it badly at all, it just didn't feel quite right. Regardless she also did a fine job. I have no complaints at all.

:flowers: Urban is so McCoy it is spooky. Pine really began to grow on me as Kirk the second time viewing so I agree, I am still looking for Uhura in Zoe. You're probably correct, she's just younger here and will begin being more reflective of Uhura with time.

I thought most of the characters were spot on.....except for Chekov. When did Chekov become some kind of boy genius? He was never particularly bright druing TOS. Mostly sat at the navigation console. Also screamed a lot.....lol. Plus , later on, especially in Trek 6, he didn't seem like much of a genius.....remember the thing with the shoes? Did Abrams perhaps get Chekov's character mixed up with Wesley?....... :laugh:

Still, that was a funny scene when the computer couldn't understand him. I can't forgive everything they did with the character, especially the new haircut, but that scene makes up for a lot.

New accelerated timeline, different life experiences = different person. Ok so that doesn't fully explain all these hugely radical changes in the character but I believe the changes are for the better.

I guess if you think of it this way, I was different when I was younger, so much so that friends from school can't peg me now to my younger self, so basically in time Their Characters would show up as what we remember them to be.

I love your review AE as I to went in thinking one thing and came out think much more of the movie. The Sound well , Let just say either they had it turn up so loud or it was meant to come across as such. My seat shook and the sound was al around me, that most of the time I felt like I was in the ship getting into someone way.( my imagination can go wild at times). :roflmao:

The second time I saw it I had to make myself leave the theater after my showing was over. I was at one of those modern theaters that has lots of shows running at the same time. Star Trek was playing at different times in dfferent screens. When I came out of the 2 o'clock showing, I noticed the 3 o'clock showing was still running, and I almost went in to catch the last hour again. There were virtually no theater workers around. But I did not. I plan to see it at the theater one more time, and then wait for the DVD, which I will purchase.

I agree that it felt like Star Trek. As a fan of my favorite series TOS, I am aware of the departures from established facts, and of many glitches in the new time line, but I want to see more adventures of this Enterprise.

I reserve judgment on the new characters, but I think the old friendships will make it seem like old times as we watch their new adventures.

Kor, I am anticipating hearing from the writers/directors about the decisions of changes to Chekov. I am sure they thought they had a good reason but I cannot figure out what it may be.

Thank you Chataeya. The sound problem was the theaters fault. Another one I saw it at had better sound.

I am not very familiar with that song, Roy. How does the line go?

I am proud of you for not theater hopping Mj. I too considered the same after one of my screenings of the film but just before I was going to walk through another theater door I remembered something I'd seen before and looked up at one of those camera globes starting at me, so I walked on past.

It probably wasn't being monitored, (friends tell me of hopping at that theater all the time without getting caught) but it'd be my luck to get caught and forever banned from patronizing it in the future.

I saw it for the 3rd time last week and it just keeps getting better! I noticed my local IMAX theater has bumped N.@T.M. and started playing ST again. Even though I disagree with their practice of promoting films which aren't filmed in IMAX as IMAX I am going to make it my last 'big screen' viewing before waiting for the DVD.

"Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic"

"Another Dimension Another Dimesnsion"

Well now don't you tell me to smile

You stick around I'll make it worth your while

Got numbers beyond what you can dial

Maybe it's because I'm so versatile

Style profile I said

It always brings me back when I hear Ooh Child

From the Hudson River out to the Nile

I run the marathon just up until the very last mile

Well if you battle me I will revile

People always say my style is wild

You've got gall you've got guile guile

To step to me I'm a rapophile

If you want to battle you're in denial

Coming from Uranus to check my style

Go ahead put my rhymes on trial

Cast you off into exile

Jazz and Awol that's our team

Step inside the party disrupt the whole scene

When it comes to beats well I'm a fiend

I like my sugar with coffee and cream

Well I gotta' keep it going keep it going full steam

Too sweet to be sour too nice to be mean

Well on the tough guy style I'm not too keen

To try to change the world I will plot and scheme

Mario C likes to keep it clean clean

Gonna' shine like a sunbeam beam

Keep on rappin' cause that's my dream dream

Got an A from Moe Dee for sticking to themes

Now when it comes to envy y'all is green

Jealous of the rhyme and the rhyme routine tine

Another dimension new galaxy

Intergalactic planetary

Well from the family tree of old school hip-hop

Kick off your shoes and relax your socks

The rhymes will spread just like a pox

'Cause the music is live like an electric shock

I am known to do the Wop wop

Also known for the Flintstone Flop flop

Tammy D getting biz on the crop crop

Beastie Boys known to let the beat drop

"Mmmh..drop" "Do it"

Now when I wrote graffiti my name was Slop

If my rap's soup my beats is stock

Step from the tables when I start to chop

I'm a lumber jack DJ Adrock

If you try to knock me you'll get mocked

I'll stir fry you in my wok

Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop

Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock

"Do it"

Oh that song, OK. Honestly, I never liked it and would mentally tune it out or change the station whenever it came on.

It is strange to think about the BB being canonized, however, only their song Sabotage has been. There is no proof Intergalactic exists in that timeline but yeah, the implication it does, exists.

I cannot answer your question though, attempting to gave me a headache.

I was watching the film again yesterday, and in the bar scene, was briefly thinking about ' So, this is how one could suggest popular music sounds in the 2200's'...

Hadn't thought of that, I don't recall ever hearing it before. Is all that music presented in that scene "original" to the film?

I agree 100% that this Star Trek is Star Trek, but heaven help anyone who says that over at TrekUnited forums - there are an awful lot of sour pusses that dislike J.J. Abrams version of Star Trek, and a few act like Star Trek fandom revolves around their opinion. In the case of a vocal group, their opinion of this movie is poor to the point that a few declare Star Trek as dead, because it's not another First Contact or Insurrection or Enterprise.

Count me as NOT a member of those sour pusses. And if I see one more person deify Roddenberry, and spew more nonsense about Roddenberry's "vision" (like one post tonight that said, and I quote "I couldn't care the less (abut home much money this new movie is making), if this is the Star Trek of the future, I am done with it and stay close to 43 years of ideals and values and visions.", then I may throw up on them.