Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Star Trek XI Made It's Premiere And People Love It!

Fans in raptures as Star Trek crew live long and prosper MARK SMITH April 09 2009

The long-awaited new Star Trek film has fnally been given its world premiere and it was greeted with more than a little hysteria. "One of the best movies of all time!" said one fan. "Just saw it and it melted my pants!" said another. Mr Spock would call the reaction illogical, but then even Mr Spock can be wrong sometimes.

But this new film does look like it's going to be brilliant. It's a different kind of Star Trek, of course. It is Star Trek re-booted. A sexier, younger, hotter, quicker, slicker Star Trek. All the main characters have been recast and the story has been rewound to the beginning. The fans love it, the critics love it, and it looks like even non-Trekkies will love it, too.

The first showing was at the Sydney Opera House and some of the stars were there: Chris Pine, who replaces William Shatner as James Kirk; Zachary Quinto, who is Mr Spock; and Karl Urban, who plays Dr McCoy.

advertisement

However, if the first reviews are to be believed, it's the man in the engine room of the Enterprise who's emerging as the real star: Simon Pegg as Scotty. One reviewer said the British actor manages to steal every scene he's in and from the clips released so far, he's obviously enjoying himself. He even gets to say that famous line about the engines not be able to take it, and manages a pretty convincing Scottish accent, too.

There are lots of other familiar elements in this new version of Star Trek, which is released in Britain on May 8. As a prequel to the original 1960s TV series and the subsequent films, it relates how Captain Kirk and the rest of crew came together.

One of the original stars, Leonard Nimoy, makes a cameo and new Spock Quinto said it was an honour to work with him. "Leonard and I have become very close in this process," he said. "His experience has been unique to him and mine will be unique to me." Pine explained how when he heard he had the part of Kirk, he wrote William Shatner a "letter of introduction and said who I was and what I was doing."

For the fans, it is all insanely exciting. Earlier this year when the first trailer for the film was released, it was downloaded 1.8 million times in 24 hours. And judging by that trailer it seems director JJ Abrams, the man behind the television series Lost, has got the mix of old and new just right. The fans agree, anyway. During the showing in Sydney on Tuesday, they stood up and applauded and cheered as all the old lines were wheeled out: live long and prosper, beam me up, warp factor four, and on and on. After the showing, the fans were jumping up and down with geeky excitement. "Trek fans will not be disappointed. Non Trek fans will be amazed," said one fan, while another described it as the best sci-fi movie he had ever seen.

Certainly, there is lots in the film that will tingle the fan receptors: the cast are all in those original, nylon outfits and the doors still make that sshhusss sound when they open.

One other very important part of Star Trek is also still intact: the message, that made the original so groundbreaking, about different races working together.

For Abrams, that was - and is - one of the show's most important elements. "I think a movie that shows people of various races working together and surviving hundreds of years from now is not a bad message to put out," he said. If this film is successful, there may be many more spreading the word.

Early reviews have so far been very positive. Aubrey Day of Total Film give it 4/5 stars, saying, "Buoyant, buffed and with the promise of even better to come, this is the freshest Trek in decades."[141] SFX magazine praised the Abrams vision for the franchise, claiming, "This summer, after Abrams’s explosive epic has nerve-pinched all the opposition, back gardens and parks will ring with the sound of young boys zapping imaginary phasers as they play Kirk and Spock."[142] Empire Magazine awarded 4/5 Stars, saying, "for the first time in the franchise, the Enterprise is a genuine thrill-ride"; however, it also notes that "Very much like its dynamic young cast, this Trek is physical and emotional, sexy and vital even, but it is not cerebral."

I have read some of the reviews, being selective to not try and read any spoiler, and I am glad to hear such great reviews. Even though there have only been 2 showings of the movie, the premiere and the surprise with Nimoy in Texas of all places. I think that the fans at the Texas showing would be the most harsh I mean they were going to see Wrath of Kahn in the theater again, and only see 10 minutes of the new movie. So far I like what I am hearding and I hope to read the comic before the movie.

Indeed the reviews sound good. Cool. Someone from Australia at another site where I am a mem had good things to say..and that they felt the characters as shown were true to their TOS personas. I think that's probably what Leonard was referring to in his comment about it being the 'heart' of st. And ultimately, that's a key component of its success over the years. Come on, May already.

Empire Magazine awarded 4/5 Stars, saying, "for the first time in the franchise, the Enterprise is a genuine thrill-ride"; however, it also notes that "Very much like its dynamic young cast, this Trek is physical and emotional, sexy and vital even, but it is not cerebral."

So in other words, lots of special effects, violence, and sex, but without all that pesky thinking to get in the way. :b-day:

Star trek has been fighting to remain cerebral since Roddenberry wrote the first TOS pilot. It sounds like that fight has ended.

I'm not suggesting to anyone that they not go see it. I plan on watching it just on the off chance it will prove me wrong. (I really don't want to be right about this.)

I do have to make a concession here, and say that upon reading some reviews, and dicsussions therein of the action-oriented elements, I can see why there would be concerns by fans. Issues have long beeen a part of ST, and they are important, don't get me wrong-it's what has in part branded st in various forms into hearts and minds...but it doesn't always have to be so. Perhaps the thought by some-certainly the studio, which wants elements that will get people in-admittedly, oftimes younger people....though I do like a good action scene, or ship battle. I think most fans do in the films..to varying degrees.But if I may throw this out, it's a relaunch of the franchise. An 'event'....which usually involves something BIG. Big enemy, big stakes....and issues may be having to take a second place to some of this....this time around. But, if all proceeds adequately, in another film would come time to get more down to basics....and less flash-bang, as Insurrection did in ways, whatever your individual opinion of it-STINN was indeed about an important moral issue. At any rate, Leonard Nimoy has given this his full participation, and support, so he does see in it much potential, in which there will be a focus on characterization, chiefly in Kirk and Spock....but this time out very important ones to see develop. The responsiblility to the rest of the cast for the ones handling the film franchise now, is to give them their fair due, as well...and that will also enrich the potential for other outings. All we can do as fans, if we go, as I hope many of you will give it a shot, is to go with the flow...and while enjoying the adventure, take the positives therein.

Edited by Voyager recruit

remember that the Cage was originally called "too cerebral" and so they made a second pilot and it turned out great. This isn't the first non-cerebral Trek by any means

remember that the Cage was originally called "too cerebral" and so they made a second pilot and it turned out great. This isn't the first non-cerebral Trek by any means

Quoted for truth.

And if you ever want to see any official form of cerebral Star Trek again, this movie has to do well. Of course, at this point, it is hard to tell how cerebral or non-cerebral this movie will be. Trailers always deliberately focus on the action and these trailers have to look different from the rest of Star Trek in order to alter the general public's perception of Star Trek so they will go and see the movie.

Quoted for truth.

And if you ever want to see any official form of cerebral Star Trek again, this movie has to do well. Of course, at this point, it is hard to tell how cerebral or non-cerebral this movie will be. Trailers always deliberately focus on the action and these trailers have to look different from the rest of Star Trek in order to alter the general public's perception of Star Trek so they will go and see the movie.

Trailers also tend to have some scenes and dialog that aren't exactly the same as in the movie. First Contact even had a shot of the Enterprse-D at warp even though it was destroyed in Generations.

Quoted for truth.

Trailers also tend to have some scenes and dialog that aren't exactly the same as in the movie. First Contact even had a shot of the Enterprse-D at warp even though it was destroyed in Generations.

Very true, hell Voyager is in the initial First Contact trailer.

Garth Franklin of Dark Horizons opines about the task faced by the producers, saying "it simply can not be stated enough how effectively Abrams and his crew have revived and repositioned not just the franchise but the 'space opera' genre itself."[143] The Hollywood Reporter said that "J.J. Abrams gives the Starship Enterprise all it's got, and it's more than enough... Paced at warp speed with spectacular action sequences rendered brilliantly and with a cast so expert that all the familiar characters are instantly identifiable, the film gives Paramount Pictures a new lease of life on its franchise."[144] Chris Tookey, writing for the Daily Mail, gave the film 5/5 stars, and said "The result is not only by far the best of the 11 Star Trek movies, it must rank as the outstanding prequel of all time."[145]

I never thought it would come. After the christmas release was pushed forward I wanted to scream. But now it's a little over a week away. I am so excited! I have a feeling though that there will be a lot of rewriting of established star trek history and chronology.

I never thought it would come. After the christmas release was pushed forward I wanted to scream. But now it's a little over a week away. I am so excited! I have a feeling though that there will be a lot of rewriting of established star trek history and chronology.

Click for Spoiler:

It's not really rewriting as it takes place in a slightly alternate timeline.

Click for Spoiler:

It's not really rewriting as it takes place in a slightly alternate timeline.

No! I shouldn't have looked!!! AHHHH!!!