Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

[S] "Exile" airdate 10/15

Another question -

Click for Spoiler:

When he pretended to be Archer, he told Hoshi that Travis would understand if she didn't say goodbye - then corrected to Travis and all her friends.  Has there been something going on between them, or is that a new development?  She said she had just been thinking about Travis - is that portentious, or am I reading too much into this?

Click for Spoiler:

I think that Hoshi and Travis are just friends. They are both ensigns and bridge officers, and they eat togehter a lot. Remember the episode where the automated station was repairing Enterprise? She and Travis had been eating together, and he had played a practical joke on her. I think what we learned about Hoshi is that she has associations and friendships, but she still feels isolated and has not let anyone get too close to her yet. The alien spent a lot of time looking through her eyes, and a lot of that time she was alone. Part of her aloneness is practiced...she was alone alot as a child, and is still learning how to be with people.

This was a good episode to not only learn a little more about Hoshi's past, but also to see something more about her actual personality, which was revealed by the alien. Also we see how she is adjusting to life on Enterprise and in outer space.

Click for Spoiler:

I believe she actually did get off that planet. I think the alien thought she would be a little less agressive, and a little more pliable than she turned out to be. Remember how timid she was to start with? Even if he had gotten that little amplifier thing from her and tried to keep her there, he would have to be on guard against her ever getting a hold of it again, because she would have destrroyed it, and been the last of his companions, rather than let him trap another person there after her.

I think there are other possibilities for his future. If the Expanse is "figured out" by the Enterprise and the Federation develops in sufficient time, Federation people will establish contact and relations with him. He would be too interesting to just leave to himself. I also think Hoshi pricked his conscience, and that he may change his approach in the future. The Federation is not afraid of telepaths.

Edited by mjham

Time for my thoughts

Click for Spoiler:

For the first portion of the episode I wasn't all that thrilled about it. It seemed like the plot was just going to go nowhere but in the end everything came together and the writing was actually quite clever. Was great to see Hoshi featured in an episode, which is the first for her in awhile, and damn did she look good. I also liked how they used the telepath with and without make up. It added an interesting dimension to the character that is usually not seen. The sets were excellent and the telepathic scenes were really well directed by Roxann Dawson.

The shuttlepod scene was hilarious. Trip's interaction with Archer that scene provided for much laughs, as did the polo ball being stuck against the wall. Archer has the funniest "not amused" face.

The revelation of the 50 sphere was quite good as well. It was one of those little plot points, that when revealed, you just step back and say "wow". At least I did. Was also nice to see them do a non-action episode and still have it rank up there with the rest of the episodes in the season.

8/10

I should have known about the game being as important as it was and I'd like to express my condolences to all the Cubby fans.

---------------------------

B) Words cannot express my enjoyment of Exile and I really should watch it again before posting just to be sure I cover everything but I'll touch on a few things right here and now!

First off I think the team creating ENT are doing a great job at creating Trek tales which alternately appeal to a broad spectrum of fans, every week a different kind of story is told set to a different beat while at the same time continuing to move the arc along and I love the heck out of that. ENT is becoming the best Trek sequel ever; all the prior experience at creating it is paying off big time in this series.

Click for Spoiler:

The telepath exile was such a lonely soul.

Agreed, A possible OS link here: he may be an earlier incarnation of "Flint", the immortal who built androids to be Companion to him. ;-)

I'm just surprised he let Hoshi go that easily.

More possible evidence he was (will be) "Flint. "Flint" was a gentle personality, he fled from Humanity because he was sick of all the In-humanity to man.

His "den" or whatever you want to call it, reminded me in a way of the main room in "Squire of Gothos." Maybe it was the fireplace. Anyway - his attitude of getting what he wanted reminded me of the dear Squire, as well. As did his powerful abilities, and his sabotage of the Enterprise. Anyone else see it this way?? 

I had not thought of that but now that you mention it, it is distinct possibility and either way, imo serves to prove again tptb are finally getting down to the meat with giving us things to ponder about.

Is it just me, or is Hoshi in front of the mirror a little too much. Well...anyways.... this episode had that Beauty and the Beast vibe going on with it. Castle in the middle of the deserted wood effect. Plus all that wandering around and discovering things that you shouldn't.

B & t B is just what RB called it in an interview not too long ago but this one surpasses the original imo because it's Trek! B) THE MIRROR! Another possible tie-in to Trelane, the Mirror was the source of his power.

Good episode.It kind of reminded me of Christopher Pike and the Talosians

Another nice analogy, also reminded me of Catspaw, you know when Kirk had stolen the wand with the crystal ball attached to the end of it and was threatening to break it? Very similar to what Hoshi did with his Meditation crystal with the exception, she did not break it the way Kirk did and I'm happy she didn't.

About Hoshi, having Hoshi still be there un-aware is a wonderful idea for a fan-fic or for even a well known Trek author to write an expansion story about, lots of potential story there. I think having her change out of her uniform was the correct thing to do, I've seen lots of stories where after the guests arrive at the mansion for the secluded weekend get away, the first thing they do is get freshened up. I'm happy they did not have her walking around in those opulent surroundings wearing a uniform.

The Travis and Hoshi thing, hmmm. I'd like to think that while the focus has been on Trip and T'Pol lately, there is nothing to keep other crew members from forming new bonds or to strengthen existing ones, that happens all the time...

The shuttlepod scene was hilarious. Trip's interaction with Archer that scene provided for much laughs, as did the polo ball being stuck against the wall.

Yeah, B) and the explosion on the hull. I get a kick out of how the anomalies can be both humorous and deadly.

The revelation of the 50 sphere was quite good as well. It was one of those little plot points, that when revealed, you just step back and say "wow". At least I did.

As did I, the more this arc opens up the more I become convinced the New Direction was never really a new idea to begin with, this stuff is to good for them to just be pulling it out of a hat!

I can find no faults whatsoever with Exile, first impressions rating: 1O

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts, this whole thread was a blast to read and respond to. I'm sorry if it was too long.

Edited by Alterego

More...

Click for Spoiler:

There are 50 spheres??Thats sucks!!!

Why? B)

Here's an obscure Voyager referrence. At one point when they were trying to find the second sphere, Reed says that it might as well be 75 000 light years away. That's how far away Voyager got stranded from Earth.

I missed that, I'll watch for it next time. Did anyone else catch the homage to Men In Black 1; the pod falling from the "sky" and bouncing to a stop right in front of them. B)

It did look a cold rock especially with the wind blowing but winds can be warm.

More...

Click for Spoiler:

There are 50 spheres??Thats sucks!!!

Why? B)

Here's an obscure Voyager referrence. At one point when they were trying to find the second sphere, Reed says that it might as well be 75 000 light years away. That's how far away Voyager got stranded from Earth.

I missed that, I'll watch for it next time. Did anyone else catch the homage to Men In Black 1; the pod falling from the "sky" and bouncing to a stop right in front of them. B)

It did look a cold rock especially with the wind blowing but winds can be warm.

Click for Spoiler:

It makes me wonder if they will deactivate the spheres since we've never heard of the Expanse in any other series. It also shows that humans DO belong in space despite what the Vulcans may think. We've been a deep space faring people for only little over 2 years now and we've already aided in the peace process between 2 warring people (The Vulcans and the Andorians) as well as many other positive things. We have of course had out stumblings at times but that's to be expected. Now we've discovered the very reason the Expanse exists and also discovered why Vulcans seem to go mad while in the Expanse and I have no doubt that we will discover a cure for their problems associated with Trellium D.

All of these things really start to bring together why Humanity becomes the leading race in the Federation. (Not to mention the fact that it's a human TV show B) )

I had picked up on the Voyager reference but hadn't considered the fact that Roxann Dawson was the director.

'Exile' was pretty good. On one hand I liked the fact the we got to see Hoshi in a story. The one thing that kind of bothered me about the Hoshi/Alien story line is I felt like it was a little too predictable. I knew that the Alien was going to try to get her to stay with him from the beginning. I did like the character that was created for the Alien he was kinda scary and freakish yet gentle and I definatley sympathized with him. Beauty and the Beast kept coming into my mind. B) I didn't however think the Archer/Trip line was too predictable. I thought the scene were they mapped out the Spheres was great and it really has me wondering what they are all about.

I thought the scene were they mapped out the Spheres was great and it really has me wondering what they are all about.

They're hiding the Rommies....BWA HA HA!! What a perfect way to transition into a season four (I hope) Romulan arc. Rommies are ticked their expanse is gone. Rommies attack and destroy the NX-02 just as it's ready to launch.

Edited by MoulinRouge

I thought this was a great episode...when they finally decided to write Hoshi as a "real" character they did a good job. My only disappointmen was I thought

Click for Spoiler:

Hoshi would recognize it wasn't really Archer as soon as he asked her to stay - I sure did

One thing I wondered?

Click for Spoiler:

Was the vanished race from the book Hoshi was reading connected to the spheres

Another thing I wondered?

Okay the Alien was exiled from his homeworld but couldn't he leave the planet with one of the passing ships rather than try to trick someone to stay with him? I didn't follow that not being able to go home also meant he couldn't go elsewhere.

I had flashbacks to the Cage and Squire of Gothos, but also a VOY episode (with Tuvok and the woman hiding in the Nebula.)

I like episodes that make me think and I had to ask "if you could live forever but alone would you want to?"

I enjoyed Exile for it's own merits but while watching it I couldn't escape the TOS feeling the settings gave me. It was almost like I wasn't watching a new episode but rather an old familiar friend from TOS yet it was still a brand new story. I don't know if that explains it or not but it was just a feeling that I had been there before.

I enjoyed Exile for it's own merits but while watching it I couldn't escape the TOS feeling the settings gave me.

I can feel that way too about the episode when I think back on it. The feeling of desolation and eerieness. That one weird alien that has motives you haven't figured out yet. That definatley sounds like TOS. Very Cool! B)

I enjoyed Exile for it's own merits but while watching it I couldn't escape the TOS feeling the settings gave me.

I can feel that way too about the episode when I think back on it. The feeling of desolation and eerieness. That one weird alien that has motives you haven't figured out yet. That definatley sounds like TOS. Very Cool! B)

Agreed! B) ENT is paying homage to TOS like non other have! B)

One thing I wondered?

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

i kept thinking that the book was part of the race that archer, hoshi, and reed turned into in extinction. is that possible?? cause that would be really cool.

One thing I wondered?

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

i kept thinking that the book was part of the race that archer, hoshi, and reed turned into in extinction. is that possible?? cause that would be really cool.

That's intriguing...hmmm good thought.

I can feel that way too about the episode when I think back on it. The feeling of desolation and eerieness. That one weird alien that has motives you haven't figured out yet. That definatley sounds like TOS. Very Cool! :clap:

Agreed! :) ENT is paying homage to TOS like non other have! :clap:

good observation now that you mention it it was very TOS. thats a good thing. :clap:

Well, I'm turning in my report a bit late as I didn't get to see my taped copy of the ep till last night. A jewel of an episode.

Click for Spoiler:

They're managing the whole Xindi storyline a lot better than they did with the Temporal Cold War. The revelation about the the numerous spheres was mindblowing and inventive. One thing I loved about the first season of Enterprise was how often unexpected things would go wrong with the ship. Just reemphasized how new we were at this thing. This season has used the "oopsy" gimmick to wonderful and entertaining effect. This ep, the "uh ... Captain" moment when the shuttlepod took off was absolutely hilarious, in the vein of the cargo bay reversing gravity gag from the first ep of the season.

As for Hoshi, it was intriguing to see the alien try to dissect her mentally. My only quibble with this part was Hoshi's dress. Question to all women in vicinity of message boards: would you wear an alluring dress while marooned in the house of a grotesque alien who thinks you're hot (hint: the correct answer is "No!")? Other than that, no problems. I thought it was a great bit when Hoshi found the graves of the companions and found out who they were. "A companion."

"And the others?" "... More companions."

The guy needs to build himself a robot like Flint did in TOS.

Once I saw the orb, I was pretty sure that was what she'd use as a weapon, but I think she figured it out pretty quickly as well, so I wasn't insulted.

Altogether a great episode. Advanced the story nicely.

Click for Spoiler:

My only quibble with this part was Hoshi's dress.  Question to all women in vicinity of message boards:  would you wear an alluring dress while marooned in the house of a grotesque alien who thinks you're hot (hint: the correct answer is "No!")?

Click for Spoiler:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Her dress (and damn she looked good in it) was a little to short for such a cold environment, whereas we see the alien dressed up like he's in a blizzard (well it was a blizzard outside). But hey, you gotta take ratings over realness sometimes and this episode deserved some good ratings.

You're right it was cold there, I did not see the snow the first time I watched it but Hoshi never looked cold until she went outside implying the interior was warm. It may have ever been hot inside, the owner was a reptile, that possibility (of it being hot inside) gives further creditably to Hoshi's choice of garment.