Thanks Jack. SPOILERS...

I wonder if that imploding planet is Romulus at the end of the Original Timeline or Vulcan of the New Timeline...?

Thanks Jack. SPOILERS...

I wonder if that imploding planet is Romulus at the end of the Original Timeline or Vulcan of the New Timeline...?

Vulcan. I don't think Romulus' destruction will be depicted anywhere but the Countdown comic. It'll probably be referenced but will not be seen in the movie.

I watched it several times yesterday, I am excited about the movie. It seems that the movie will have a more serious tone, which is cool with me. Joining Starfleet is now joke man. However, I showed a friend of mine at work the trailer and we were talking about it and my biggest concern, and if I was at Wondercon and saw J.J. Abrams I would have asked, how do you make a prequel when the technology shown in the movie is way ahead of anything shown in the series or the previous movies? I noticed that most of the scenes shown so far have not shown a huge amount of what the bridge and interior of the ship looks like. So I am hoping that there are not too many upgrades like floating touch screens everywhere, and I undesrtand that the special effects will look better, but I am really hoping that the story is really good. Me and my friend decided that if the story is good then the special effects looking better than the other movies will not outshine the movie. I made a prediction that Eric Bana may steal the movie, it looks like he may have a great performance.

SPOILERS

The level of technology in this movie does have a logical explanation. Presumably Starfleet is going to identify the Romulans as the attackers of the Kelvin. That knowledge will force Starfleet to make more rapid improvements in their technology and that is also going to throw off things like the build date and location of the Enterprise. So in a sense, this movie is not a direct prequel to the events of TOS because some of them may not occur in this timeline. I guess its a prequel in the sense that it takes largely the same characters prior to the time we know them.

I'm starting to think that we will be looking at this movie like the new Battlestar:Galactica. No relation to the original.

I'm starting to think that we will be looking at this movie like the new Battlestar:Galactica. No relation to the original.

Doesn't quite work the same way. Battlestar Galactica is a clean break from the original. There are references and callbacks (especially in the design of the older Cylons) but it is not a continuation of the storyline.

Star Trek (XI) is a direct storyline continuation (as the villain comes from eight years past Nemesis) combined with an in universe reboot/timeline shift (primarily the destruction of the Kelvin and subsequent actions by Nero and their resulting after effects). It can't exist without everything that has come before it.

It's an interesting premise which Jack B. makes here. Kudos there. Pushing up the construction date, etc...which in the ST Chronology is 2245-when Jim Kirk is, I believe, an adolescent...I wonder just what 'slight alterations' to the TOS-Trek line the film may create-but not something TOO drastic, I would think. But, as was above alluded to, re the bridge, and such, for me, she looks sleeker, and more ahead-of-the-Jeffries version....more akin, externally, in ways, to the refit 1701-and I DO well know how they all appear! For ex, the bridge dome-module, with obvious aft-lounge-again, hearkening ahead to the refit..yes, this may be minor, in comparison to the film as a whole-I am looking forward to it-but, I can't help but notice..perhaps those same rushed production issues involved some design look evolutions....eh, dunno. She still looks like a cool ship. And we know she'll get the job done!

Think of it as the difference between homo sapiens and neanderthals or cro-magnons. There is a common ancestry if you go back far enough, and there might have even been a limited amount of interbreeding, but it doesn't follow that one evolved from the other.

Think of it as the difference between homo sapiens and neanderthals or cro-magnons. There is a common ancestry if you go back far enough, and there might have even been a limited amount of interbreeding, but it doesn't follow that one evolved from the other.

I honestly don't think that this is an apt analogy. At the very least the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy as Old Spock indicates that this movie is undeniably linked and related to the rest of the Star Trek universe.

Click for Spoiler:

The new timeline that this movie exists in does not exist if Nero and Spock are not accidentally thrown back in time from the original or prime Star Trek timeline. Ergo, this new timeline did in fact evolve from the original timeline. It can't exist unless the original timeline happened. The only caveat to this is Spock and Nero need to have come from the prime timeline and not some other similar timeline. In which case their would be no relation to all the rest of Star Trek, as we know it. However, I believe the likelihood of this is basically zero.

I am basing this on what I have learned of Star Trek Countdown, the official movie prequel comic. I have not read it first hand (waiting on the trade paperback), but I have a fairly good understanding of what takes place. While the canonicity of this comic is debatable, I generally accept that since it involved the writers of this movie that it does in fact reflect in some way their intended back story for the movie (one that need not necessarily be known to understand the movie) and that this will be addressed in some form in the movie.

Actually, I think it does hold up. Homo-sapiens, Cro-Magnons, and Neanderthals probably do have a common ancestor if you go back far enough. While they were 3 separate species, which can be analogus to 3 separate timelines if you will, they were probably recogniseable to each other as "kinda like us in some ways but with some obvious differences". I'm sure that the introduction of Nero and old Spock in the movie timeline will spring off into a new timeline, much the same as enough mutation and genetic drift can create a new species from an existing one, but at some point the two timelines were one.

Actually, I think it does hold up. Homo-sapiens, Cro-Magnons, and Neanderthals probably do have a common ancestor if you go back far enough. While they were 3 separate species, which can be analogus to 3 separate timelines if you will, they were probably recogniseable to each other as "kinda like us in some ways but with some obvious differences". I'm sure that the introduction of Nero and old Spock in the movie timeline will spring off into a new timeline, much the same as enough mutation and genetic drift can create a new species from an existing one, but at some point the two timelines were one.

Okay, I can accept that. The whole point is that yes there is a common ancestry of these timelines (i.e. namely everything before the breaking off point of Nero and Spock Prime going back in time) and so they are related. However, the breaking off point can't occur until another timeline reaches a certain point (i.e the point from which Nero and Spock Prime travel back). It would be as if homo sapiens have to evolve to a certain point, travel back in time to the point of common ancestry and thereby cause one of the other species to evolve (i.e. Cro Magnons can't exist until Homo Sapiens reach a point where they can travel back and cause whatever needs to occur for Cro Magnons to exist).

That's what I feel your analogy lacks. The recognition that this timeline doesn't exist until Nero and Spock Prime travel back in time. I think that clears it up, but if it doesn't, my bad.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I'm using "Spock Prime" because that is how Leonard Nimoy is credited in the movie.

Okay, I can accept that. The whole point is that yes there is a common ancestry of these timelines (i.e. namely everything before the breaking off point of Nero and Spock Prime going back in time) and so they are related. However, the breaking off point can't occur until another timeline reaches a certain point (i.e the point from which Nero and Spock Prime travel back). It would be as if homo sapiens have to evolve to a certain point, travel back in time to the point of common ancestry and thereby cause one of the other species to evolve (i.e. Cro Magnons can't exist until Homo Sapiens reach a point where they can travel back and cause whatever needs to occur for Cro Magnons to exist).

That's what I feel your analogy lacks. The recognition that this timeline doesn't exist until Nero and Spock Prime travel back in time. I think that clears it up, but if it doesn't, my bad.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I'm using "Spock Prime" because that is how Leonard Nimoy is credited in the movie.

Well, we know that modern humans didn't exist on what we call Earth until humans from the 12 Colonies and humanoid Cylons and Hera the Hybrid started mating with the hunter-gatherers they found and... Crap, wrong show!

OK, I admit it isn't a perfect analogy, as Cro-Magnons and Neanderthals didn't survive into the 21st Century and died out. They don't exist today even as an abstract of what they could have been had they survived (except for possibly the Geico cavemen) whereas timeline "spin-offs" do exist as abstracts and some in the Trek future figured out how to "jump" timelines.

However, I don't think "Spock Prime" makes any sense. Leonard Nimoy is 78. He's an old fart! Let's see him do the stuff that Zachary Quinto does and then tell me who is in his prime.

However, I don't think "Spock Prime" makes any sense. Leonard Nimoy is 78. He's an old fart! Let's see him do the stuff that Zachary Quinto does and then tell me who is in his prime.

Yeah.....lets see Nimoy slice open someones forehead......oh wait.....wrong show......