Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Best of DS9

Hey all,

I'm planning on introducing my girlfriend to Star Trek before the new movie comes out this summer. I would show her the Original seires but I don't own any of it. I was thinking I should introduce my favourite show first (Deep Space Nine) anyways, but then I remembered something. When I was at university in my final year I was living with a vegan existentialist named Leo and I did the same thing, introduced him to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but the some episodes are pretty cringe worthy and a little bit irrelevant to the overall plot and because it took so long to plow through we never got to the good meaty stuff in series five, six and seven (Bald Sisko, The Defiant, The Dominion, The War, The Prophets, Dax and Worf) because I finished university and had to leave. Now I'm living in Japan with my girlfriend but I'm planning on moving back to England at the very end of may/very beginning of June... and I was to try and get through DS9 with my girlfriend. Can you guys recommend some good episodes which cover all of the main plot AND recommend any really good episodes which help to support the overall story, character development and audience enjoyment? I would watch the whole thing but there just isn't time...

Thanks in advance -

Lt. Evans

well because DS9 has the whole arc I think it would be confusing to just show someone a random episode if they don't know anything about it.

maybe you could introduce her to star trek with a good episode of TNG, they're more stand alone

I wasn't thinking of showing her just random episodes. I was thinking of us all organising a crucial creame of the crop, a mixture of essential a-list episodes to watch over the next three months... and yeah, I could show her TNG, but seeing as I only own DS9 on DVD and have only seen the other series but never bought them organising a viewing of TNG isn't excatly possible.

Of the first 3 seasons I'd suggest you show her these episodes:

Season 1

Emissary, Part I & II to introduce her to all of the characters as they are at the start.

The Nagus to give her her first real taste of the Ferengi

Duet because it's a really good Kira episode

Season 2

Rules of Acquisition Further introduction to the Ferengi and their relationships with Ferengi women (also the first mention of the Dominion)

Shadowplay Simply because it was a really good Odo story.

The Wire Becasue it's a great Garak story and really cements the Garak/Bashir friendship.

The Jem'Hadar If you skip a couple of the others from season 2, you must show her this one to set up who the Dominion is.

Season 3

The Search, Part I & II Further sets up who the Dominion and Founders are, another required episode.

The House of Quark Simply becasue it's a great episode

Second Skin 2 reasons, 1. Great episode. 2. Needed for future understanding

Heart of Stone Gives the foundation for all future Nog stories and sets the foundation for Kira/Odo romance

Explorers Just a great father/son episode

The Adversary Sets up a lot in terms of the Founders and Odo becoming a Solid later

Season 4

I'd suggest watching all of season 4 if possible. In fact I'd watch all of the final 4 seasons going forward from this point. With all of the arcs and inner connected stories in Seasons 4, 5, 6 and 7 each episode is needes for future reference (with a few exceptions). But if you hit the above listed 13 episodes, and maybe 1 or 2 more that you may like yourself I think it will give her a good foundation of who the characters are and prepare her for the final 4 seasons in full.

I don't know the names of all the episodes but the first two are pretty crucial. I think that the Dominion War was very good and I always liked the two part episode with the TNG cast but of she is not familiar with them then it may not make much sense. Has she seen the movies? At least get her to watch the first 6. With the DVDs there is the encyclopedia stuff that you could show her during certain scenes.

I don't know the names of all the episodes but the first two are pretty crucial. I think that the Dominion War was very good and I always liked the two part episode with the TNG cast but of she is not familiar with them then it may not make much sense. Has she seen the movies? At least get her to watch the first 6. With the DVDs there is the encyclopedia stuff that you could show her during certain scenes.

That 2 part episode with the TNG case was actually a TNG episode, Birthright I & II. The first part is partially on DS9 and partially on the Enterprise and is where Data learns to dream. The second part is exclusively a Worf story with the Klingons that were captured by the Romulans.

One that I believe would be great for introducing someone to Trek is Trials and Tribble-ations. It incorporates DS9 with classic trek and has a good amount of humor mixed into it.

Seeing as how the new movie is about Kirk and Spock et al, you guys should just watch the original cast movies.

The new movie has nothing to do with DS9 at all. If it were me, I'd skip the new movie and just let her watch DS9 start to finish.

I'll watch the new movie, either when it comes on DVD or through "other" means. I don't know if I'll put my money out for a "reboot" that alters canon though.

If she is still your girlfriend after watching 15 hours of DS9, keep her.

Totally, you're absolutely right. Thanks to all of your for your help and suggestions, particularly ddillard, VaBeachGuy and Lt. Van Roy.

If anyone has more suggestions, keep 'em coming.