Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Episode Order - Production or Air Date?

Is Star Trek suppose to be in production or air-date order?

"Where No Man Has Gone Before", is the pilot for TOS, yet it was the 3rd episode aired. If TOS was ment to be aired in the order we saw, would the pilot be put first on the season 1 set or left as the 3rd episode?

Hmm...Since The TNG Sets Episodes Are Put In Airdate...I Would With Airdate..Although...Having "Where No Man Has Gone Before" air as Number 3 Doesn't Make Mush Sense......and what about "The Cage", would that be Included?

"The Cage" would probably be included as a special "extra". However, if they go by airdates, they gotta make "Where No One Has Gone Before" 1st instead of 3rd of the season, seeing as it's the pilot and all.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

True, But It Did Air As Number 3 :drool:

But still, It shoudl Be Number 1...Or even 2..have "The Cage" Fisrt perhaps

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

I would have to go with air date as that is the way TPTB wanted it and I do beleve the reason that "no man" was put third was because they wanted a planet show to start. They as well would have a lot of problems with next gen as the two partter with spock in production order part 2 was done before part 1.

In the timeline you should go with Stardate if one is given, otherwise go with airdate as opposed to production number.

The example we discussed in another thread about Chekov's introductin to us would be an example where I would go with airdate simply becasue that was the first instance where the fans "meet" Chekov.

Catspaw was the first episode he worked on but from our standpoint as TV Viewers we have no way of knowing that because we can only see the shows when they are shown to us.

So if you have a question of what order to consider the shows in I would say go to STARTREK.COM and go to the episode guide and go by the order they have them listed in (unless it's a timeline question then go by stardate).

Well, OK, if the air date order works, than I guess that's how they should be on DVD.

This leaves the issue of the Pilot "Where No One Has Gone Before", which I'll call WNOHGB for short. They have an older style of uniform, McCoy wasn't on the Enterprise yet, Sulu was a science officer at the time, and so forth. It seems to me that "chronologically", the pilot should be moved so that it's the first and not the 3rd episode, with the rest of the series left in the original air date order. Anyone agree? If nothing else, I'll just watch 3, 1 & 2, and then the rest in order. :drool:

For the sake of watching them it's a matter of personal preference I think. If you want to watch them in the order they were made then that's one way of doing it.

I myself would choose to watch them the way they were originally aired. I hadn't been born yet when 99% of the series was aired (I was born in March of '69 and the series ended in June of '69) but if I am going to sit down to watch them in any kind of order I would rather watch them the same way I would have done so had I been born when they came out.

I watched TNG, DS9, much of Voyager and all of Enterprise in it's "airdate order" so I'd want TOS the same way. That's a personal preference though.

I'm not saying that we should watch them in production order, I'm just saying that the pilot was "suppose" to be aired as the 1st episode since the rest of the series is set a year or two later. It'd be like airing TNG's pilot as the 3rd or 4th episode. ;)

Well..In The ST Encyclopedia, It Has The Events Of WNMHGB Happening Before The Rest Of Of The Show...Except "The Cage" ofcourse ;)

Yes, like i said earlier. If you go by timeline then you go by Stardate. But the pilot wasn't necessarily even meant to be aired at all, a pilot is made for the network in order to sell the series. Many pilot episodes of shows never get aired. If I remember correctly the pilot of Gilligans Island wasn't first aired until about 5 or 10 years ago.

When the DVDs are put out then the way they should be ordered, IMO is by air date.

When the DVDs are put out then the way they should be ordered, IMO is by air date.

I agree.

With them being on DVD it would be a simple thing to watch them in any order the owner wishes but they should be assembled on the disks according to airdate/stardate.

I still say that WNMHGB should be aired "placed" as the first episode. Yes, the show should be on DVD in order of air date, but if you watch WNMHGB, you can clearly see that the episode was intended to be the pilot and not the 3rd episode.

Examples:

Older uniforms

No Dr. McCoy

Sulu is a science officer

Besides, what if TNG had aired "Encounter at Farpoint" as, say, it's 5th episode. Would you still say it should be in "aired sequence"?

When the TOS season sets come out, should the episodes be in production order or aired sequence?

Personally, I think they should be in production order. My reasoning is that back in the 60's, story arcs were non-existant, so the network would air the episodes at random. With this said, I think production order is the way to go. What about you?

Well there would be things good for each way..

Aired order would be the order that all to TOS fans know..

Production order would be interesting to know in which order they flimed them..

Just my thoughts..

Actually, they weren't ment to be seen in "aired sequence", at least, ONE episode was aired out of official order, and that's the 2nd pilot - "Where No Man Has Gone Before". It is clearly set before the rest of the series, yet it's the 3rd episode aired. I strongly believe TOS was ment to be aired in production order (or another order), but NBC decided to air that at random, much like most networks did with their shows at the time. Something to think about, eh?

Actually, they weren't ment to be seen in "aired sequence", at least, ONE episode was aired out of official order, and that's the 2nd pilot - "Where No Man Has Gone Before".  It is clearly set before the rest of the series, yet it's the 3rd episode aired.  I strongly believe TOS was ment to be aired in production order (or another order), but NBC decided to air that at random, much like most networks did with their shows at the time.  Something to think about, eh?

You may be right that WNMHGB was meant to be aired first..The point is that it wasn't aired first..It was aired third..And it is my opinion that's the way it should be on the DVD sets..It should be in the order that it was shown on TV in the 60s..

Well, I find that annoying. We go from one episode with uniforms, McCoy, and Sulu as helsman, to an episode with older uniforms, some random doctor, and Sulu as a science officer, then back to current uniforms Dr. McCoy, and Sulu back at the helm. See how this can be annoying?

Well, I find that annoying.  We go from one episode with uniforms, McCoy, and Sulu as helsman, to an episode with older uniforms, some random doctor, and Sulu as a science officer, then back to current uniforms Dr. McCoy, and Sulu back at the helm.  See how this can be annoying?

I know CJLP..But it is the order that it was originally aired..With DVDs we have the option of watching them in any order that we wish so easily..Anyway either order is fine with me really..I just would prefer that that keep the order that they were originally aired on 60s TV..If it happens to end up 3rd then just play that one first..What's the big deal?

Edited by spacetigger

I wasn't around in the 60's, but it seems to me like TOS should be in production order with the "aired sequence" being out of order. Anywho, like the above guy said, if they're in production order, you guys can watch them in aired sequence, and if their in aired sequence, I can allways watch them via production order. :)

Now that we know season sets can be expected next year, probably in the last few months, I decided to return to this topic. So, as the original question asks, would you prefer the production order, which would have the pilot as the first episode and so forth, or the aired sequence? Personally, I'd rather see production order. It looks to me like NBC got sloppy and aired them at random, not botherring to see how they fit together.

I'll Go With Chronology Of The Events From My Star Trek Encyclopedia CD-ROM :laugh:

That would likely be production order. :laugh:

Not Necessarily.

For Exaple. It Doesn't List Unification II Before Part I B), And So Forth With Other Episodes Aired Before An Episode It's Produced After.

I'll Go With Chronology Of The Events From My Star Trek Encyclopedia CD-ROM :laugh:

That would likely be production order. :laugh:

Not Necessarily.

For Exaple. It Doesn't List Unification II Before Part I B), And So Forth With Other Episodes Aired Before An Episode It's Produced After.

We're talking about TOS, in a time (the 60's) where networks aired shows in random order without regard for continuity, thinking they were all "self contained stories". This no longer was the case when TNG began.