Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Message of the day. Travelling is a no go.

I live in London, and most years the idea of a white Christmas was a joke, in fact it was this year. It’s a pity that what has happened today, didn’t happen then, everyone would have had the cliché.

What am I talking about?

It has seriously snowed in London, with temperatures of – 30 in some parts of the UK.

In my home town the snow has been up to 1.5ft deep, all transport has ceased. The traditional black cabs of London are refusing to drive in treacherous conditions. The trains have all stopped as well, not to mention that the buses were all cancelled as of 3am this morning, river buses are still running, Only one of the 12 underground lines is running, all airports are closed,. In the states this would be called a snow day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7863900.stm

Linkhold pictures and further information on the current state of the south of England/

Welcome to my world. We are just starting to finally thaw out here for the first time in almost a month. We have had temperatures below freezing and many times below 0 (Fahrenheit). We had a substantial amount of snow last week, and I have been fighting with frozen water lines for over a month.

Global warming..........yeah........riiight.....

From merely a scientific perspective - increased average global temperatures can indeed result in some areas becoming colder - the melting ice cools down traditionally warm ocean currents.

But feel free to complain for other reasons :lol:

Global warming..........yeah........riiight.....

From merely a scientific perspective - increased average global temperatures can indeed result in some areas becoming colder - the melting ice cools down traditionally warm ocean currents.

But feel free to complain for other reasons :lol:

I just hope more people don't start moving to Florida

I don't think it would be called a snow day where I live, and I'm sure based on the photo's I've seen at other sites, the fall of the snow is greatly varied.

It would seem that since snow fall is such a rarity in England that the country is no longer prepared to deal with it, meaning the investment in equipment to keep things cleared and safe so life continues on.

My girlfriend there had about 4 inches of snow and everything was closed. It reminds me of when my brother was stationed in the South for the Navy, they had about 2 inches of snow and the airports all closed and he couldn't come home for a family wedding.

Get out and enjoy that beautiful and magical snow!

I don't think it would be called a snow day where I live, and I'm sure based on the photo's I've seen at other sites, the fall of the snow is greatly varied.

It would seem that since snow fall is such a rarity in England that the country is no longer prepared to deal with it, meaning the investment in equipment to keep things cleared and safe so life continues on.

My girlfriend there had about 4 inches of snow and everything was closed. It reminds me of when my brother was stationed in the South for the Navy, they had about 2 inches of snow and the airports all closed and he couldn't come home for a family wedding.

I have seen stories about places closing because of a small (from my perspective) amount of snowfall and it never made a lot of sense to me. We had aproximately a foot of snow here, more in some areas, and the only thing that closed was schools. Businesses remained open for their normal hours and with their normal staffing. We are used to the snow and ice here in Ohio, although there are still a large amount of people that don't know how to properly drive in it, especially people that own SUV's and think they are therefore immune to the effects of anything, lol.

I have seen stories about places closing because of a small (from my perspective) amount of snowfall and it never made a lot of sense to me. We had aproximately a foot of snow here, more in some areas, and the only thing that closed was schools. Businesses remained open for their normal hours and with their normal staffing. We are used to the snow and ice here in Ohio, although there are still a large amount of people that don't know how to properly drive in it, especially people that own SUV's and think they are therefore immune to the effects of anything, lol.

My Mom has had 108 inches of snow this year.

We've had about 50. You can't even find our fire hydrants! But yeah, we get out and around, things still run, even when it's snow with-20 temperatures. It's just definitely the way your accustomed to living.

It's just like my cousins in England complaining to me about the heat waves during the summer. They think it's hot when it is 72. Now to us that's just about perfect summer weather. Again, it's where you live and what you are used to.

100 with humidity is the point I complain. No this was something completely out of the norm,the last time it happened was 18 years ago,

I do agree with the points made, however for the most part this country tends to habve a large commuter base, utilising public transport, when in their opinions it becomes to unsafe for 17ft tall buses (Double-Deckers) and when the local governments (Councils) failed to LISTEN to advanced weather warnings the raod ways weren't gritted to facilitate travel, unfortunately tomorrow it all becomes ice and life gets difficult. The railways considering how much shear railway it is I cn understand how not all worked and I can understand how also not all were prepared, I am just not sure how to get to work.

When I lived in Utah - nothing stopped for the snow - except once - a freak early snowstorm caused a lot of downed power lines and the lack of electricity closed some things (the snow fell while the leaves were still on the trees and the weight was too much). You woke up to the hum of snowplows, snow blowers and shoversl. By rush hour the snow plows would have had the roads cleared (at least major ones) and some people on side roads would ski cross-country to the bus stop. It was beautiful too.

But, then I moved to the Virginia side of DC - and this is scary - our seat of national government was literally paralyzed by the first snowflake - government offices would close early; the roads were a nightmare and when you finally did get home - you just wanted to get down and kiss the ground. If I ever have to live in snow again - it will be out West. And it still terrifies me to think of how vulnerable our capital is.

When I was in San Diego years ago, I was just amazed at how the area was paralyzed by a 2 inch rain. There was flooding, with lots of runoff, and many did not seem to know how to drive in a downpour.

In Chicago, we handle snow pretty well, but this year has seen the attack of the neverending potholes. If it's not one thing, it's another.....

Edited by trekz

The phrase in England usually is if you don't like the weather, wait half an hour, it will change. we can have the effect of fourseasons in a day.

But, then I moved to the Virginia side of DC - and this is scary - our seat of national government was literally paralyzed by the first snowflake - government offices would close early; the roads were a nightmare and when you finally did get home - you just wanted to get down and kiss the ground. If I ever have to live in snow again - it will be out West. And it still terrifies me to think of how vulnerable our capital is.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

The more Washington DC is paralyzed the more I like it.

Despite California being a "blue" state we had Republican Governors for 23 of the past 27 years. The lone Democrat to get elected durng that time was kicked out of office before completing his term.