Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Eddie Murphy As The Riddler?

Eddie Murphy as The Riddler? Seriously?

(Dec. 18) -- While many things in Britain's The Sun newspaper need to be taken with a grain of salt, it's our duty to report that they're claiming Eddie Murphy has snagged the role of The Riddler in the next 'Batman' movie.

Previously rumored to be Johnny Depp's role, Murphy will reportedly reprise the sinister character last played by Jim Carrey in 1995. The Sun is also reporting that 'Transformers' star Shia LaBeouf has been cast as Robin.

A Sun insider source says the following of Murphy: "Eddie's a fantastic addition. Everyone's excited to see what he does as the Riddler."

Murphy's rash of comedy flops lately has made many question his bankability. Aside from a standout dramatic turn in 'Dreamgirls,' films like 'Norbit' and 'Meet Dave' were met with brutal reviews.

Murphy's Riddler will hit the screen in 2010, and The Sun reports that it has the working title of 'Gotham.'

While unconfirmed, Rachel Weisz is reportedly being considered for the role of Catwoman.

Aside from Murphy and LaBeouf, the rest of the 'Batman' cast remains the same. Christian Bale stays on as Bruce Wayne, while Michael Caine continues as his trusted assistant, Alfred. The film will supposedly end on a cliffhanger, as it's unclear whether Batman

Click for Spoiler:

survives an explosion.

Interesting choice.......

Batman 3 spoiler tag added. AE

Yeah interesting choice but I didn't need to know the ending of the movie..This is exactly why I'm not reading anything about the next Star Trek movie..

Not true, whatsoever. I refer you to the following article for AICN (apologies for the swearing):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39487

So there is absolutely no valid story information whatsoever regarding Batman 3. On top of that, these rumours are just terrible. There's only a couple of good rumours I've heard regarding Batman 3: Johnny Depp as the Riddler and the potential title of 'Gotham'.

Two things:

1) The article I posted DID say to take it with a grain of salt. The story was not confirmed.

2) Since when is "Ain't It Cool News" considered a valid news source?

Since when is "Ain't It Cool News" considered a valid news source?

I'll admit, it's not exactly the best source but they do deal exclusively with the world of entertainment and they really don't gain anything by denying these rumours.

I agree.

What they should have done is have a couple movies with other bad guys, occasionally make references to The Joker and various low-level crimes he does, but keep him as a "hidden character" like Palpatine in A New Hope. Then use the Batman vs Joker movie as the final act the other movies have been building to.

Regardless of who plays who, it's going to be tough to top The Dark Knight IMO.

Actually, I just saw 'The Dark Knight' and it was a let down for me. It was good, but I was kinda disappointed. I was expecting it to be better. That's what I get for waiting so long to see it..Hopefully that article is wrong about the ending of the next one..I would hate to know the ending of the movie before I see it..

It would be hard to come up with a villain that hasn't been done in one of the movies.

I would refer back to the comic books to see who hasn't been done on screen yet.

The problem is all the bad guys left that most people know are too gimicky.

Ra's Al Ghul, Carmine Falconi, The Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Sal Maroni are established characters in the comic books. Nolan was able to bring them to life without making them into a gimic and actually provide some depth to them. You can't portray Joker in any way but gimicky but he is such a part of Batman that you can't justify leaving him out either. But Ridler, Bane, Mr. Freeze, King Tut, Catwoman, or other potential bad guys all belong to the gimicky "villan of the month" club. Unless you provide a pretty damn good back story to them (as Nolan did with Two-Face) it just wouldn't fit with the grittiness Nolan wants for his movies. It would also be pretty difficult to fit them into the overall "fight the mob, root out the corruption" theme of the first two movies.

In my own view, I think maybe an early Eddie Murphy could have pulled it off, but now, Eddie Murphy is a basic burnout washup. To get someone to play a dark Riddler, I could see maybe Johnny Depp or Clive Owen using his personality from "Sin City".

I think Robert Carlyle, new to the Stargate franchise, could do it - he portrayed Hitler - I think he can do villain.

Not a bad choice, and he does kind of have the UK connection these movies had thus far (Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, and of course Chris Nolan etc). Of course, there could potentially be a lot to work out. Batman 3 is far from a certainty and even if it does move forward there's no telling when that will be. On top of that, Carlyle would likely be committed to SGU for sometime, should the show be successful, and so he would have to shoot during a hiatus.

Another UK actor I've heard mentioned as a potential Riddler (to the point where he is lobbying for the role, or at least will be if the project moves forward with the Riddler as the villian) is David Tennant. That would be another excellent choice IMO.