Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Smiley

The Corbomite Maneuver

I just finished re-watching the Corbomite Maneuver,and once again I was left puzzled by Dr.McCoy.

When the Enterprise encounters the alien warning buoy,and Spock issues general quarters(and calls Captain Kirk to the bridge),Dr.McCoy ignores the red alert light flashing silently above the door to sickbay and allows Captain Kirk to finish his routine physical.

Now,as far as the doctor knew,the ship was in imminent danger.His actions threatened the lives of every man and woman aboard the Enterprise and were a dereliction of duty.

Personal friendship aside,should Kirk have brought charges against McCoy?

:saintdevil:

I agree with you that was an odd thing to do...Maybe he called the Bridge to see what was going on while Kirk was exercising on that bizarre wall foot petal thing..What was that contraption for anyway?.. :unsure: ..Kirk was upset when he saw that flashing Red Alert..Perhaps McCoy did recieve a reprimand in his record from Kirk..? I think the writers just wanted that McCoy line about "If I jumped at every flashing light I'd end up talking to myself..".. :saintdevil:

What was it McCoy said to himself at the end of that scene... "If I jumped every time a light flashed around here I'd end talking to myself. :laugh:

This was the first episode of TOS that when I watched it with my girl she said at the end: Noooooooooo! It's not over, is it? She dug it too. She and I, when a deadline for doing sometime is approaching say to each other in deep baritone voices: You now have 3 minutes! :laugh:

I dont know if he would have done anything too hard on mccoy, but i think he should have reprimanded him in some way or another, either personaly or officialy. But if he WAS hard on Mccoy, the doctor could have said somthing about the captian always skipping his physical...Im sure that was against regs too.

McCoy just figured that it could wait the half minute that it toke Kirk to finish, if it was really that serious, Spock could handle it and Kirk wouldn't be able to make it to the bridge in time anyway.

I agree with you that was an odd thing to do...Maybe he called the Bridge to see what was going on while Kirk was exercising on that bizarre wall foot petal thing..What was that contraption for anyway?.. :force: ..Kirk was upset when he saw that flashing Red Alert..Perhaps McCoy did recieve a reprimand in his record from Kirk..?  I think the writers just wanted that McCoy line about "If I jumped at every flashing light I'd end up talking to myself..".. :eek:

I believe that foot pedal thingie (as you described it) is a cardiovascular test not too unlike a tread mill test done today. This one just has you on your back, for reasons only a real doctor could explain, lol.

T'Bree