Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

U.S.S. Lakota - "Paradise Lost"

The Enterprise-B had a "special" configuration, different from all other Excelsior-class ships seen in Trek. Then, we see the Lakota with the same configuration as the Enterprise-B. Is it possible that the Enterprise-B was decomissioned in favor of having an Ambassador-class Enterprise-C and then recomissioned as the Lokata after Starfleet lost 39 ships to the Borg at the battle of Wolf 359?

I always thought that the Starfleet commissioned numerous of the modified Excelsiors,as well as continuing to produce the original-configuration ships(for whatever reason).I don't think the Lakota is the Enterprise-B.Of course,I could be wrong.I'm just speculating. :saintdevil:

I'd tend to agree with Captain_Smiley. What probably happened was the Lakota was commissioned in the same time era as the Enterprise-B as an excelsior-refit or possibly an excelsior and was later refit. Excelsiors has long been the work horse of Starfleet. They say the ambassador class is but honestly, how many of them have we seen:

-Enterprise-C

-Yamaguchi

I don't think we saw:

-Excalibur

-Zhukov

-Valdemar

but they were mentioned. Excelsiors are still a very large portion of the fleet.

Well, I don't think the Enterprise-B and Lakota had a "refit" as that would be an upgrade, and if an upgrade, why do no other Excelsior-class ships have the refit?

Supposedly, the Enterprise-A was an existing Constitution-class ship that was re-named Enterprise-A instead of spending time constructing a new ship. The U.S.S. Sau Paulo was renamed U.S.S. Defiant durring DS9's final episodes. With this said, is it not possible that the Enterprise-B is retired, then brought back into service a century later as the U.S.S. Lakota becuase of the 39 ships lost at Wolf 359 in the battle with the Borg, eh?

possibly the refit was a prototype and then, by the time it was accepted by Starfleet enginners, some of the older ships weren't upgraded, in favour of retirement. The Lakota would fit this description, if she was commisend season 2 of DS9 (i might have my times mixed up)

I agree that the Lakota is NOT the Enterprise B. I tend to believe that it is another ship that was commissioned. We have no way of knowing for sure that the design is not still in use in the time of DS9.

U.S.S. Enterprise-A was a renamed Constitution-class ship.

U.S.S. Sau Paulo was renamed U.S.S. Defiant in DS9's final episodes.

U.S.S Excelsior NCC-2000 was still in use durring the mid-24th century.

So, it's "possible" that the Enterprise-B was retired from service, then brought back into service as the Lakota after the Borg massacre at Wolf 359. It's possible, however unlikely.

In any event, we'll never know. :assimilated:

isn't the Lakota smaller than the Excelsior???

Nope, they're both Excelsior-class, only difference is that the Lakota has "extra equipment" added to the hull, the Enterprise-B being the only other Excelsior-class ship to be an Excelsior-class varriant.

Dr. Who

hehehe glad i know my sci-fi (im 16!)

[MODERATOR EDIT] CLOSED TAGS.

Edited by ddillard

I never liked the look of the modefied Excelsior "Enterprise-B" and USS Lakota.That fin looks stupid :P

I love the original design.But this has nothing to do with CJLP's question,so here's my take:

I tend to agree that the Starfleet at some point began production of the Enterprise-B type Excelsior design,while continuing to mass produce the original design as well.The Excelsior is by far the most produced design in the Starfleet of the 24th-century,and is the "workhorse" of the 'Fleet.

I don't think the Lakota is the Enterprise-B.