Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Orbeth-class in "Enterprise"?

I was just thinking... Registry numbers have allways been chronological in Trek, aside from TOS before they had the number system worked out.

With this said, the U.S.S. Grissom had a 3-digit number. With the low registry number of the first Orbeth-class ship seen in Trek and it's design, is it possible they originated in the 22nd century? Granted, the Orbeth-class a little smaller than the NX-01 in terms of internal volume, but does anyone think it could be the first "Federation" design? Perhaps the U.S.S. Orbeth NX-(something) could have been the first Federation-Starfleet ship?

I know all about the Daedalus-class, but it's never been seen on screen.

Anywho, would you like to see the Orbeth-class show up, with a slightly more primitive look, in the ENT series finale or a movie featuring the ENT cast as a successor to the NX-class?

Here's something I just thought of. As a link to ST-3, would anyone like to see the U.S.S. Grissom, with a more primitive look and a different captain, involved in the TCW some how? Just a fun idea.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I don't think they will show any Orbeth Class vessels on Enterprise,they were built during Capt. Kirks time (The first time seen in the film Star Trek III) I think there would be a big uproar from fans if they show that class vessel 100 years before its first seen.

Now the Daedalus Class vessels would be more likely to be seen on Enterprise. The USS Essex was a Daedalus Class vessel that was destroyed in 2167 and that class vessel retired from service in 2196.

I don't think its a good idea to show an Orbeth Class vessel on Enterprise.

I don't think they will show any Orbeth Class vessels on Enterprise,they were built during Capt. Kirks time (The first time seen in the film Star Trek III) I think there would be a big uproar from fans if they show that class vessel 100 years before its first seen.

Now the Daedalus Class vessels would be more likely to be seen on Enterprise. The USS Essex was a Daedalus Class vessel that was destroyed in 2167 and that class vessel retired from service in 2196.

I agree with klingonmike.The Oberth is a 23rd-century design.I don't put much relevance in Starfleet or Earth Fleet registry numbers. :saintdevil:

The first Orbeth-class vessel seen was the U.S.S. Grissom NCC-638. The low registry number suggests that this is an old ship, especially when ST-3 takes place in 2285 with the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 being 40 years old. With this said, it's probable that the Orbeth-class began in the 22nd-century and became widely used and upgraded in the 23rd century.

The question is, would we see the U.S.S. Orbeth NX-*** in the ENT finale or an ENT movie, or do you think the Orbeth-class would have been introduced closer to the late 22nd or early 23rd century?

It doesn't matter what we think really, it hasn't been written in stone by anyone. All we can do is speculate. In the end, it all comes down to B&B: They get to decide what becomes what and when.

I think we'll see the Daedalus class vessel at the end of the ENT series. They are already building the NX-02 and I bet we'll see it at the end of season 3 or mid season 4.

The Oberth class vessel should not show up during the run of ENT, if it does, the writers are gravely mistaken in there timelines.

I think we'll see the Daedalus class vessel at the end of the ENT series.  They are already building the NX-02 and I bet we'll see it at the end of season 3 or mid season 4. 

The Oberth class vessel should not show up during the run of ENT, if it does, the writers are gravely mistaken in there timelines.

How do we know the Daedalus will show up? We don't even know what it looks like.

As for the Orbeth-class, what's wrong with it showing up for the first time in the 22nd century? The design was allready ages old by the time we saw the Grissom in ST-3.

That's a model of a ship. Unless that model was referred to as being Daedalus-class, we've never seen the ship on screen, thus, it could take any form the producers desire. Personally, I hope they pick something other than that aweful model-look.

I agree the ship is ugly. It also looks more primitive the the NX-01 and its small then the NX-01. But in reality if the they do introduce the Daedalus class in ENT, it will probably look like that because thats what were all used to seeing.

I agree the ship is ugly.  It also looks more primitive the the NX-01 and its small then the NX-01.  But in reality if the they do introduce the Daedalus class in ENT, it will probably look like that because thats what were all used to seeing.

What do you mean "that's what we're all used to seeing"? The Daedalus-class has never been seen on screen, it's merely a "fan assumption" that the little ship model in Sisko's office "must" be the Daedalus-class. Personally, I'm hoping for something original, but it'd be cool if it had a spherical primary-hull like the Pasteur seen in TNG "All Good Things..."

The model in Sisko's office is a Daedalus class vessel. look it up in the Star Trek Encyclopedia, its not just fan assumption. The way it looks is the way it is,its already set in stone as far as Star Trek is concerned. I hope we see the Daedalus class vessels near the end of Enterprise.

Edited by Klingonmike

KM, the Daedalus-class starship has never been seen on screen. The Star Trek: Encyclopedia makes the "assumption" that the model on Sisko's desk is Daedalus-class, but that is subject to change. If the Daedalus-class ship is indeed the first "Federation-Starfleet" ship design, then I sincerely hope it will be of an original design, but also bridging the gap between NX-01 and NCC-1701.

Directly from the Star Trek: Encyclopedia:

"A conjectural design for this class, based on an early Enterprise design by Matt Jefferies and built by Greg Jein, is pictured here. This model has been seen as a desktp display in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

With that said, the Daedalus-class could take on whatever for the producers wish since it hasn't been "officially" seen on screen.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

If they design another ship that looks different from the Daedalus ship everyone already knows then there will be hell to pay from fans. Everyone that knows and loves Star Trek has accepted that the Daedalus class vessels are what we see in the encyclopedia and whats on Sisko's desk. Just because it was never actually seen on the screen does not change the fact that it is a Daedalus class ship.

I agree its an ugly ship,but that is what it is and you have to accept it. And hopefully the writers and designers of Enterprise will show a Daedalus class vessel near the final season of Enterprise. I'm sorry you don't agree with it,but you are a very small minority on changing the design of the Daedalus Class vessel (Probably the only one).

The minority is growing, make that two people.

I would't be all up in arms if they changed or up-graded the Daedalus design. The past design is ugly and white, imo white ships fit better into the Saga if placed between TOS and the motion picture era, the NX-O1 is nearly the same color as 1701 but either way they go with the Daedalus is fine with me because...

In TMP, in the recreation room, the ship shown to be the first spaceship named Enterprise looks nothing like the NX-O1 so change has already occurred. I suspect tptb will brave the storm and up-grade the Daedalus to modern standards despite fan outcry, they are already getting plenty of practice with doing that.

In TOS the Enterprise was white as well, maybe all the old Starships were white around Kirks time. Any way I hope they don't change the design,just for continuity sake.

Ok, I respect your opinion to keep the design as it is.

About the OS ships being white though, I want to be clear on your meaning. Do you mean to say the original Starship Enterprise NCC 1701 as seen in the TV Show (not movies) was white and not greyish?

About the OS ships being white though, I want to be clear on your meaning. Do you mean to say the original Starship Enterprise NCC 1701 as seen in the TV Show (not movies) was white and not greyish?

Yes on the TV show the Enterprise was white. At least on my TV it is :look:

Yes on the TV show the Enterprise was white. At least on my TV it is :look:

Hmmm, well ok then but it has always appeared gray on my TV s. A model kit I built of the 1701 had it molded in gray (out of the box) and the instructions for painting it recommended buying a shade of gray (don't remember which).

Not sure if this helps but I have the 25th anniversary die cast model from Franklin mint..And it is very white...I too thought it was White on the original TV show..

I have two models and a Franklin Mint depiction of a Klingon Encounter and the Enterprises are all white. The Klingon Encounter is pretty cool, it shows a Klingon battle crusier firing at the Enterprise which has moved behind an astoroid.

The Hallmark Ornaments original Enterprise is white as well, I don't have that one since it cost over $200.00 on ebay now, but I've seen it on ebay for sale.

The Enterprise, as seen in TOS, wasn't white, but a very light shade of grey. The model color sometimes gets distorted durring filming, thus the Enterprise sometimes looks white on screen and light grey other times. Just like the Enterprise-D model was a light blue, but looked grey on screen, and blue in atmospheres. :drool:

I was just looking at some TOS episodes I have on tape, I got up real close to the screen and it still looks white to me. So as far as I'm concerned I'm convinced it is white.

The NX-01 is grey and very metallic looking, nothging like the 1701.