Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Cell Phones

Do you like them or just put up with them?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like them or just put up with them?

• I Love them, I can't live without them.
    • I hate them. They should be banned.
    • They're annoying but I've gotten used to them.
    • They aggravate me..They're everywhere I go..AAAAARRRGG!
    • They aggravate me..They should be banned from cars.
    • Other Opinion..?

I know, I know..What is a Starfleet Officer without a Communicator!.But as I look around me it seems that I am the only one without a Cell Phone.However if I could find one that looked like a TOS Communicator I might buy one.. :lol:

Now, on to my poll..Truthfully they do aggravate me but I've gotten used to them. I just think that they should be banned from cars..That must be distracting driving and talking on the phone at the same time..I see it everyday..

What do you think?

yes, but take away the cell phone and you still have a radio to switch around, kids to yell at, coffee to drink, etc. i dont do all of that at once, but there is allways at least one of them at the moment.

I don't love them or hate them I have one, and I'm happy with it as long as I have my TNG and Voyager tune on it I'm happy :lol:

Cell phones has their benefits, but to drivers they are more distracting than kids or the radio. When you get involved in a phone conversation, your concentration is taken away from the hazards of the road, and from what is happening behind you, in front of you, and even in the lanes beside you. I have on several occasions almost been hit by cars being driven by someone on a cell phone. I think it should be a law that while driving, cell phone calls shoulld go into your answering machine.......that to answer or make a call from a cell phone, you need to be off the road.

I've never been distracted by my cell phone in the car, besides so what if I've had 16 accidents while talking on the cell phone. Is that supposed to make them a danger or something? :lol:

Just kidding of course :lol:

I could tell by the poll that you don't particularly like them, there's only one positive choice. I picked "Other" because I don't hate them, they don't bother me in the least and I don't believe that they are anymore of a distraction then anything else that people do while driving.

I don't "love it" nor "Hate it", it's just a tool of life.

I voted They aggravate me..They're everywhere I go..AAAAARRRGG!

Personally I believe we need them in cars (especially in America) because what happens if your car suddenly breaks down in the middle of nowhere? That is the one use for the things.

Personally I don't care for cell phones,I don't have one and I don't have any plans on getting one. I have a phone at home and an answering machine,thats all I need.

Cell phones don't annoy people...cell phone owners/users do.

I have a cell phone because I do have to drive through the middle of nowhere everyday...and I have used my cell phone to call AAA more than once.

I don't use mine while driving.

Cell phones are annoying everywhere not just the road...church, movie theaters...go to a national park to commune with nature and all you hear is some idiot yakking away.

I think they're very useful for when you need to reach someone but too many people use them for idle chitchat and they don't pay attention to what they should be doing..like sales clerks, cashiers etc.

Went by McDonalds today for lunch, the "cook" had her head cocked to her shoulder the entire time I was there. I wonder if the cell was the reason she did not get my order correct, hmmm... :saintdevil:

Cells serve a useful purpose (one saved my neck before) but some people need to learn how to use them with respect to others.

I have a cell and I love it although I don't use it very often. I originally got it when I had a problem with my land line and it was going to take the phone company 3 days to come and fix it and I didn't want to be without a phone. I use it mostly during the winter if I have to call my mom to pick my daughter up from daycare because the buses are running late and that type of thing.

I hate people who use cell phones while driving. I wish more places had laws prohibiting that practice (Ezri if you read this, does Quebec still have a law that requires drivers to pull over if they want to use their car phone/cell?).

As for the really annoying cell phone users, I think if they didn't have a cell phone they would still find some way to be annoying. A rude person will still be a rude person with or without a cell phone.

I like my phone. The conveniece of having one when you need it is wonderful. When in the car, I try to remember not to answer when it rings (although sometimes I do pick up out of habit) or I let a passenger answer for me. I do think they can be distracting but not any more so than anything else.

Stardate:213748.9

I dont mind cell phones.I have one but i only use it once in a while.My ex girlfriend on the other hand is obbsesed with them.Every time i saw here her ear is clued to one :saintdevil: I hid it from her one day and she damn near tore my head off!!!! :unsure:

I like cell phones. The only thing I do NOT like are kids with their cell phones, trying out ALL ringtones next to me... :unsure: (a cell phone offers MANY ringtones...)

I have two cell phones and both of them have a star trek - TNG ringtone, so I like them :drool: I could not live without SMS.... I do not call anyone... I write SMS.

About cell phones in cars: Here it is forbidden (yes, yes :saintdevil: ) to have a cell phone in your hand when you drive your car. You pay a lot of money if you get caught by the cops using your cell phone while driving... :thumbs:

Mrs. Captain Picard

UH, your comment about Cell phone and cashiers...i am assuming you mean that the customer has it and ignores the cashier?

I have had that happen to me and since its just so rude, i talk to them anyway and make sure to put thier change on the counter so they have to struggle to pick it up. Maybe one day they will get the hint, but i doubt it.

I think they should be forbidden in a moving car.

Nearly every cell-phone conversation I've ever heard has been mundane and

pointless. For example, someone waiting for a bus or an airplane might

get out their cell-phone to call someone and say, "Where you at?" Someone

in a grocery store might get out their cell phone to call home and say, "What do you want?" (They couldn't ask that before leaving home?) My impression is that people use cell phones as a status symbol, but they are not a status symbol anymore because nearly everyone has one.

UH, your comment about Cell phone and cashiers...i am assuming you mean that the customer has it and ignores the cashier?

That would be rude too...but I am thinking of a sad experience with the a worker at TCBY and a defective sundae she made because she was gabbing the whole time she made it.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I like cell phones, but I don't really think people should always have them on there ears, in cars, resturants, buses, trains, just everywhere. They are great for emergencies, or if your a lawyer or somthing and have alot of appointments. I think people should just let the answering machine get it.

Edited by Captain Holland

Mobile phones, as they are called here, (Barry can back me up on this :saintdevil: ) it makes more sense when you think they have no cellls but are mobile, are a part of daily life, i know no one without one.

I have a cell phone and use it quite a bit. As most of you know, I share an apartment with my mother, so the house phone is her phone number and my cell phone is my phone number. It's cheaper and more convenient than putting a second phone line in the apartment, and it keeps mom out of my business. As far as the talking and driving goes, I've solved that problem with a hands free device installed in my car. My phone is equipped with a speaker phone and the hands free device is wired into my car stereo. My phone also has voice activated dialing. So, with the features of the phone combined with the hands free device in my car, I can make or answer an occasional call without taking my eyes off the road. What do you guys think?

I know, I know..What is a Starfleet Officer without a Communicator!.But as I look around me it seems that I am the only one without a Cell Phone.However if I could find one that looked like a TOS Communicator I might buy one.. :assimilated:

Now, on to my poll..Truthfully they do aggravate me but I've gotten used to them. I just think that they should be banned from cars..That must be distracting driving and talking on the phone at the same time..I see it everyday..

The same with me. My husband has one. It's his toy. But he don't uses it too much. 90 % of the time it is off. Sometimes I use it too, but seldom.

But I'd love to have one which looks like Star Trek - just to have it!!!!

I think it's an useful device especially in emergencies. What really aggravates me is seeing people talking + driving. I see it every day, although its forbidden in Germany, as Mrs. Picard already told. There is so much traffic in our cities + high speed on the motor ways. I think it's too dangerous, the drivers are much too distracted.

When I call our field engineers on their mobiles I always ask them: Are you able to speak, are you driving at present.

Mobile phones, as they are called here, (Barry can back me up on this :laugh: ) it makes more sense when you think they have no cellls but are mobile, are a part of daily life, i know no one without one.

I agree with you Arms,they are mobile after all so why do they call them cell phones :assimilated:

They're convenient.Other than that I don't really have an opinion on them.I don't own one and probably never will,but I have bought them for family members. :assimilated:

I do think its rather ridiculous seeing so many people walking around town with phones up to their ears,though.On a busy day,I'd swear 1 out of every 3 people on the street,or driving are yakking away.Today at a mall (I started a little early X-mas shopping) a girl had two of them,one at each ear! :laugh:

i dont love em, but i sure dont hate em they serve a purpose. i just dont like some people that use them. one time i called my sister to see how she was doing, while in conversation i figured out she was AT THE MOVIES, i said are you in a movie right now, yeah, she said, i was floored, i said i hate people like you, im hanging up, call me AFTER THE MOVIE. now thats just plain inconsiderate. i like them for many reasons one of which, is they are another electronic toy to play with. lol. but i dont have one as of yet, they still cost too much to justify having two phones. oh yeah here in new york we have a hands free law, if your on the phone you must be pulled off the road, or have a hands free phone. which i still think is ridiculous. its not the holding of the phone thats the distraction, its the yapping away with no concern for whats going on around you thats the problem. but alas lawmakers and their own sense of stupidity. :P

Edited by cptwright

I've never been distracted by my cell phone in the car, besides so what if I've had 16 accidents while talking on the cell phone. Is that supposed to make them a danger or something?  :P

Just kidding of course  :naughty:

I could tell by the poll that you don't particularly like them, there's only one positive choice. I picked "Other" because I don't hate them, they don't bother me in the least and I don't believe that they are anymore of a distraction then anything else that people do while driving.

I don't "love it" nor "Hate it", it's just a tool of life.

I agree completely. I use my cell phone because I am not home much and it provides a convenient way for people to contact me in an emergency without having to leave messages and call multiple numbers to track me down.