Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Patrick Stewart talks

Patrick Stewart talks

He says . . . .

“[Roddenberry] created a very idealistic future”

Goes on to talk about Rick Berman & others working on the show

“For a producer it is like walking on a thin line, if they want to put some emphasis on the philosophical part, because first of all the show is supposed to entertain. But: Over the aspect of entertainment it is of course possible to convey the social ideas”

“Under the leadership of Rick Berman these social-politically issues grew more important, the adventure part was cut down...I think, Roddenberry would have had problems with this way of doing things”

Then talks about the movie . . . .

“I think we finished the party with this movie”

“we have to admit to ourselves that we are not becoming younger”

Do you agree with him about Rick Berman & what Roddenberry wanted?

How do you feel that he says that this will be the last TNG movie?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Well, there is a whole group of people that think Berman ruined Star Trek. I suppose Roddenberry may have been displeased, and nothing against Roddenberry, but I do think Star Trek in a general just got more exciting, interesting, and even more in-depth when Berman took over.

It's a matter of personal taste I think. Aside some of the movies and some episodes here and there, I never really liked TOS. I appreciate the concept and I totally agree that Mccoy, Kirk, and Spock had amazing chemistry, but it's not really my type of thing... now, if I grew up on it, then yeah, it'd probably be a different story.

TNG was also lack luster until Berman and Piller had more control over it. I don't think TNG was ever bad, but it really came into its own when Roddenberry stood back and let other people run it. He had such an amazing concept and idea, but I think people like Berman and Piller were able to get more out of it.

Yes, it's not like it used to be, but in my opinion that's not a bad thing.

I agree.

Please do not misunderstand me, I LOVE TOS, always have and nothing can EVER take the things TOS has brought to my life away from me. But at the first episode after Rick took over I could see a difference and I liked it, I continue to like it to this day (with the exception of VOY, there was some fumbling of the ball going on in that series, imo.)

About ENT, take The Crossing for example, please pardon my French but this episode knocks the crap right out of me for it's ability to pay homage to TOS while at the same time being it's self. Applying logical thoughts to it can fill all of its apparent plot holes. I call it a masterpiece of Trek creation and give kudos to Rick and Company for continuing to cause Trek to live on. Thank You Berman and CO, keep em'coming!

Long Live Enterprise!

Guest Ktrek

I guess I have a love/hate kind of feeling for Berman. I really think that when Roddenberry turned the reigns over to Berman ST got better. It's not that it was "bad", BUT TNG, up till that point, was just using old storylines from TOS and redoing them in TNG format. Berman hired some good people to improve the story writing and expand the ST universe. Now 15 years later we are at a place where Berman's creativity is stagnant and he is redoing ideas from past shows. Perhaps he should look at history and make some changes before it's too late. History can repeat itself and even with Berman still in charge but he has got to stay out of the story writing process and let fresh, new, creative ideas come forth from his staff with as little interference as possible. A new generation of Trek needs a new generation of writers and ideas! Just my opinion on the matter.

Ktrek

Well of course he has done some great things for the show and lots of things that we as fans like came because of him. But Roddenberry was basically in control of ST till he passed away. Of course he never really went into the small details, but he’s vision and conception still stood. During the third season, fourth, and the beginning of fifth he was still there and worked on the “major image” (but not the small details). I think people kind of forget that. And that’s important to remember.

So as someone might say “the third season took off for TNG” . . . you have to remember that Roddenberry still had the big image in control. And really during this time the writers I think really took it off. So in general I think primary the writers took TNG to new heights (of course it had the help of Berman *and* Roddenberry). So I would not really credit Berman for the mastermind of bringing TNG and the others to there heights and I would give the new writers the primary credit. But that is not to say that Berman does not get credit. Of course he does as does Roddenberry with his selection of the new writers like the “outsider” that has not seen any TOS and also had (I don’t know his name) stay on the show who was a really good writer. So much of the credit should go to Roddenberry in that sense.

Master Q

I believe I read somewhere that Gene Roddenberry was not involved in day-to-day operations of the series by some time in season 2 due to his health. He was almost like a consultant until his death. I can't remember where I read this so I can't post a link.

I think Mr. Roddenberry's vision of the future is something that we can hope for however some people seem to have elevated him to a god-like status. I love TNG and he was the driving force and vision of bringing Star Trek back to the small screen but not all of his ideas for the series were correct. Can you imagine anyone but Patrick Stewart as Picard yet Mr. Roddenberry was very against casting him and only relented at the last moment. He also had to be convinced about having a Klingon on the bridge. Can you imagine the Trek world without Worf.

Please do not think I am trying to diminish the role of Mr. Roddenberry in any way. I admire him greatly. I'm just trying to point out that he was a human and infallible like we all are. I think it is unfair when people say that Rick Berman doesn't care about Trek. The man has devoted 16 years of his life to Trek.

I agree with everything crims said. I do not have all of the facts and maybe that's what the problem is for all of us. We really don't know who did what. I'm pretty sure Brent Spiner had a big part in writing Nemesis and it was his idea for Data to die. As for Berman, I do like some of the things he did. I did not care for TOS, but I did enjoy the movies. And there was a noticeable change (for the better) as TNG went on. Whether that was Berman or the actors or both I do not know.

Has anyone watched the TNG season 3 DVD special fetures? Micheal Piller (who if you ask me is one of the reasons TNG took off more than Berman or Rodenberry) talks about Rodenberry's imput on the third season. Rodenberry might not have been there on a day to day basis but I do think that he took care to make sure that the story's stayed bold and full of meaning.

I love TOS and I think that there are things about it that no other show has come close to touching. It had an edge that none of the other shows, with the exception of TNG, I think have had. It may not have had the wonderful characters of TNG or the complexity of DS9, but it was still a great show. I think of Gene Rodernberry as a man with a great vision and Rick Berman as a really good producer. Both have their place.

I agree with everything crims said.  I do not have all of the facts and maybe that's what the problem is for all of us.  We really don't know who did what.  I'm pretty sure Brent Spiner had a big part in writing Nemesis and it was his idea for Data to die.  As for Berman, I do like some of the things he did.  I did not care for TOS, but I did enjoy the movies.  And there was a noticeable change (for the better) as TNG went on.  Whether that was Berman or the actors or both I do not know.

Have you seen the interviews that are posted at the Nemesis site? In one of the interviews Brent Spiner says he doesn't think it was his idea to kill Data but that was the direction the story went.

I think it might have been Micheal Piller as the main writer I was referring to. That one person who I was referring to and like I said that person probably played a larger rule then anyone else. Like I stated “I would give the new writers the primary credit” and Berman or even Gene.

And for myself I do think Berman cares about ST. So I hope no one takes me wrong on that issue.

But in my personal opinion is that right now at the moment at this place of time that he has not in an overall perceptive done a great job. That’s not to say that he did not in the past, but now I don’t think he is.

Not to say that anyone did, but please don’t take me wrong on my issues or get the wrong idea about me.

Master Q

Sign in to follow this