Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Takara_Soong

General Hockey Talk

This season has certainly started off in an amazing fashion. I've watched a number of games on television and have been amazed at how good the games are for this early in the season. A number of commentators have also commented on it being playoff hockey in October. What does everyone else think? Are you surprised and happy at the level of hockey being played now? Do you think it can be sustained through the season or will there be a drop in intensity soon?

They were talking about the General Managers Meeting on one of the hockey broadcasts last week and apparently Bob Gainey made the suggestion to change the rule regarding shot blocking in which players would be prohibited from leaving both feet to block a shot so that more shots can get to the net. Does anyone else think this is the stupidest rule change proposal made in recent memory.

Another suggestion was that a delayed penalty wouldn't be called until the penalized team is able to get the puck out of their end. I'd need more details on that one but I really don't see a need to change it from the way it is now.

Yea, that blocked shot rule is stupid. Many players make their reputations as the tough defensemen who block the shots vital in the playoffs. As for the delayed call, keep it the way it is, whistle blown when the team touches the puck. I even like the idea they just put in of the faceoff in the penalized teams zone.

One rule I want to see added is the no touch icing. They use that rule in European and other international leagues, and has shown to cut down on injuries of two players racing to beat out the icing, then slamming into the boards.

One rule I want to see added is the no touch icing. They use that rule in European and other international leagues, and has shown to cut down on injuries of two players racing to beat out the icing, then slamming into the boards.

I completely agree. I'm not even sure if that was discussed. I can't recall seeing or hearing any mention of it.