Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Trek 11 publicity machine fires up {SPOILERS}

Startrek.jpg

Get a closer look at the young crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, complete with mini skirts and baby-t's for the ladies. The internet is buzzing with a collection of Star Trek stills, each one showing closer looks at the bridge, the baddies and a slippery situation that James Kirk gets into. It's starting to come together and looking like a pretty bad *butt* space-action flick.

Click on the still below to get a bigger picture from all the sites that are hosting a gathering of Trekkie stills. All of these pictures and more will be in this weeks issue of Entertainment Weekly.

new-trek-smaller.jpg

spock.jpg

star-trek-20081015024146827-000_1__.jpg

star_trek_800x340jpg__JPEG_Image__8.jpg

Preview.jpg

usskelvin1t.jpg

Source: io9

Very cool to start seeing stuff and I liked the move of giving each image to a different website (Trekmovie, MTV, IGN, JoBlo, AICN, and UGO) in addition to the cover story in Entertainment Weekly (which is now available online at http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html). Be forewarned, it contains spoilers.

It terms of the images themselves, I have no problem with most of them and I think the cast looks good. I need to see more of the bridge, though. Right now its looking like too much a departure visually. I knew there was no way we were going to see an exact replica of the 1960s bridge, because that would have led to Star Trek getting laughed out of the theatres and it would have been the final nail in the coffin for the franchise. I was just hoping for something a little closer. But like I've said, I need to see more. Other than that, I think it looks good, the Kelvin's registry number is odd (NCC-0514) because the first zero seems unnecessary but then again its not really necessary in NX-01 is it?

Regarding the article:

Click for Spoiler:

I am a little disappointed that there's talk of reinventing some of the mythos of Star Trek. It's not entirely unexpected or really, unnecessary, I just have some reservations about it. But really, the message of Star Trek is too important to lose and if that means moving a few facts around and a more realistic and functional look, I suppose I can learn to love it as long as I try to keep an open mind.

That bridge flies in the face of everything I have read the creators saying about staying true to the Original.

It doesn't even come close to matching what we've seen in earlier spy pics, like those of a shuttle craft control panel in particular. Wouldn't we expect it's CC to have similar styling and control features of the mothership's main bridge? The two CC's appear to be from two different reality's.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility the bridge in that shot is illustrating some temporal change.

Kirk's black uniform made me think of two possibilities right away. He's either going to use it for an intelligence mission like "Chain of Command Part One" or he's Section 31.

Kirk's black uniform made me think of two possibilities right away. He's either going to use it for an intelligence mission like "Chain of Command Part One" or he's Section 31.

That would be interesting.

That Black Kirk Outfit looks like the "Undershirt" from the uniforms. He's probably wearing it after he looses one of his other shirts :yahoo: Either that or it's a "Cadet" shirt

A bridge shot from MTV Movies Blog.

I know it's all wrong but I don't care. :-P

What?.......no toggle switches?......... :laugh:

I just hope TOS bridge sounds are the same.

Very cool to start seeing stuff and I liked the move of giving each image to a different website (Trekmovie, MTV, IGN, JoBlo, AICN, and UGO) in addition to the cover story in Entertainment Weekly (which is now available online at http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html). Be forewarned, it contains spoilers.

It terms of the images themselves, I have no problem with most of them and I think the cast looks good. I need to see more of the bridge, though. Right now its looking like too much a departure visually. I knew there was no way we were going to see an exact replica of the 1960s bridge, because that would have led to Star Trek getting laughed out of the theatres and it would have been the final nail in the coffin for the franchise. I was just hoping for something a little closer. But like I've said, I need to see more. Other than that, I think it looks good, the Kelvin's registry number is odd (NCC-0514) because the first zero seems unnecessary but then again its not really necessary in NX-01 is it?

A hugh sticking point with some fans. According to them, with the exception of the NX-01 & 02 Starships do not begin with 0's and point to the following as proof.

Between Enterprise and The Original Series (supposedly when the majority of this film occurs)

Few episodes refer to ships from this era and fewer still reveal those ships' registry numbers. The only firmly established registry number in this era is "NCC-173" for the USS Essex. The Star Trek Encyclopedia claims that the USS Archon, mentioned but not seen in "The Return of the Archons", has the registry "NCC-189".

Then, in TOS era Films:

Two of the major Starfleet vessels introduced in the TOS-era films – the USS Reliant and USS Excelsior – also have four-digit registries: "NCC-1864" and "NX-2000" (later "NCC-2000"), respectively. Other vessels generally follow this pattern, although there are a few vessels with three-digit registries. The most obvious one is the use of "NCC-638" for the USS Grissom. Other examples include "NCC-621" and "NCC-595" for the scouts Columbia and Revere, respectively. In the Remastered version of "Star Trek" currently on air, the episode "Charlie X" visually features the cargo vessel "Antares" with the registry NCC-501 upon its hull, although the registry prior to the remastering was never seen or mentioned in the original episode.

No "0"s. There could be a good in story explanation for the 0 but if not, I ain't gonna sweat it.

That would be interesting.

That Black Kirk Outfit looks like the "Undershirt" from the uniforms. He's probably wearing it after he looses one of his other shirts :yahoo: Either that or it's a "Cadet" shirt

Another possibility is he's on probation for...

Click for Spoiler:

cheating on the KMS. He won't get his command colors [probably] till near films end.

Another potential sticking point is with the USS Kelvin only having one warp nacelle, Gene had a rule that warp nacelles only came in pairs. A rule that has been broken at least a couple of times starting when ST 2 had a one nacelled ship showing on a bridge viewscreen and two appearances in TNG.

Besides very vocal complaints about the Enterprises bridge design, Trek purists are swearing to boycott ST11 based on the Kelvin having one nacelle, a 0 in the registry.

Trek purists are swearing to boycott ST11 based on the Kelvin having one nacelle, a 0 in the registry.

Now THATS just silly!

Trek purists are swearing to boycott ST11 based on the different bridge design, the Kelvin having one nacelle, a 0 in the registry.

Now THATS just silly!

They may have good reason to be disjointed. All along JJ was very vocally promising a story which respected canon and was true to everything which came before but, if it really is a reboot after all, I can't say I blame them for feeling lead down the garden path. IF it is a re-boot then he should have just said so from the start.

I reserve judgment until after I see it.

All the right moves so far.

The new bridge in particular looks excellent.

Abrams has correctly comprehended that Star Trek needed a revamp, particularly in production design.

A clean break from Bermanesque Star Trek visuals.