Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Takara_Soong

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

My Bombers won ugly tonight. Kevin Glenn (QB) had an off night but the running game more than made up for it. Fred Reid and Joe Smith were fantastic. Defense was good and once again there were some problems with special teams. We really need a kicker we can rely on.

The the biggest bright spot (if you can call it that) about this season so far is that there are two other teams in the East Division that are having worse seasons than the Bombers which means that the Bombers clinched second place when the Argos lost to Montreal. Now we have to get our act together and have all of the team show up for the rest of the season and the playoffs and maybe something can be salvaged. It will be interesting to see who makes the crossover from the West Division. As things stand now, the Eskimos are the crossover team but it is still too close to call in the West Division so that could change.

For those unfamiliar with the crossover system, here is an explanation:

If the fourth-place team in division A has more points, not tied, than the third-place team in division B, the fourth-place team will crossover to division B, replace the third place team in division B, and compete against the second-place team of that division.

From CFL.ca

Big win for my Bombers over the Als. This game will be a great confidence booster. Winning the game using three different quarterbacks (Kevin Glenn's thumb is fine - he was pulled as a precaution; Ryan Dinwiddie's ankle is still being checked out and then Bryan Randall seeing his first action led the drive that scored the winning points) and with the third-string running back playing most of the second half because of injuries (Joe Smith's twisted knee is still being checked out and hopefully Fred Reid will be back next week after missing this game). RB Daryl Stephenson played well especially considering he joined the team mid-week after his University of Windsor Lancers were eliminated from the CIS playoff picture. Alexis Serna kicking the winning field goal with 1:32 left in the 4th quarter was great.

Another good win for the Bombers. Alexis Serna appears to have gotten into a groove at just the right time. He's looking good. Kevin Glenn looked good while he was in and Bryan Randall gave a good showing as well. Defence came up with some nice plays. Fred Reid had an excellent game. Things are looking good for the Eastern Semi-Final next week.

New season, new coach, lots of new players and a new attitude! Mike Kelly, the head coach of the Bombers, has said since he was hired that he wants his team to play Bomber football like they did when he was an assistant under Cal Murphy. For the uninitiated, Bomber football is a hard hitting, intense, chip on your shoulder style and it was magnificent to watch. After watching the Bombers-Stamps game Friday night, it sure looks like Mike Kelly can deliver.

The first game of the season against Edmonton was difficult to judge. The torrential downpour that went on for most of the game made it really difficult for both teams' offenses to get going. The Bomber running game looked good and the defense looked good and even with an inconsistent offense we were still in it until the last play of the game when Alexis Serna, unfortunately, missed a 47 yard field goal.

Week 2 against the Stamps was great. The offense still needs some time to gel but Stephan LeFors put together some excellent drives. This was only his 7th start in 3 seasons (first 2 season with the Esks - started 5 games in his rookie year and none in his second year) but you can really see the potential.

The Bombers' next game is Saturday in Hamilton and I'm really looking forward to that. Doug Brown should be back in the line-up after missing the first two games and, as impressive as the defense has been, it's going to be even better with him starting at his defensive tackle spot.

My Bombers offence took a step backwards against the Ticats. The defence played really well but the offence stunk. To other way to say it. I'm patient though. I knew coming into this season that it was going to take some time for Stephan LeFors to mature and for the offence to gel. It will happen.

It was great having Doug Brown back in. The defence was able to get more pressure on the Ticats quarterbacks. When he is always being double-teamed it means that someone else can get in there. Of course, even with the double-teaming he is always in the thick of it.

Next week is the first of a home and home series against the Argos. I'm confident the team will come up big.

The offense took another step backwards. It was absolutely brutal against the Argos. The defense was great. TSN is reporting that the Bombers brass are going to bring in another QB - perhaps Michael Bishop or Casey Printers. I think I would prefer Bishop of the two. Changes definitely need to be made. I don't think a worse offense display has ever been seen in pro football than what the Bombers did Friday night. But I'm ever the optimist and I refuse to write off this season. It's only 4 games in a 18 game schedule. Lots of time to turn things around.

Michael Bishop made an immediate impact on the offense. Definitely some timing issues and rust issues that will be worked out the more he plays. The Bomber D was phenomenal again. The D had four interceptions and three forced fumbles at key times throughout the game. The special teams was great as well. Alexis Serna was 2 for 2 from 40 and 48 yards out. Mike Renaud has incredible with his situational kicking by punting into the coffin corner time and time again. No running game to speak of this week so there needs to be some work done on the o-line but the Argos D was good against the run. A little more production on punt returns would be nice too. To sum things up, things are looking a lot better.

I've been basking in the glow of a great win against the Lions for the past week. What a game! The Bombers had 393 yards rushing including a new team record of 260 yards by Fred Reid. Yvenson Bernard had his first 100+ yard game for the Bombers and had some great blocks and some great ST tackles. Michael Bishop didn't have to throw often but when he did he made some really nice 2nd and long conversions. Specials Teams gave up a few punt and kickoff returns that were longer than usual but Alexis Serna and Mike Renaud were excellent yet again. It's a bye week this week for the Bombers so we Bomber fans still get to bask in this glow for another week. We're sure looking forward to Labour Day though.

Rookie camp opens on Wednesday with main camp opening on Sunday. It's been a long winter. LOTS of changes - new VP of Football Operations/GM, new head coach, new coaching staff (mostly), lots of new players and lots of great news. The biggest, of course, is the deal to get the new stadium built. Construction starts in June and it should be finished in March, 2012. It's about time.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this season will unfold. I have a good feeling about it.