Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Takara_Soong

Ottawa Senators

The Senators management really needs to get a goalie. I know it's only one game but geez, Gerber let in three he should have had. If giving up bad ones were a rare occurrence that would be one thing but Gerber has a history of giving up some real weak goals. Who besides Nikolai Khabibulin (whom I personally love going back to his days with the Jets) is available?

The Senators management really needs to get a goalie. I know it's only one game but geez, Gerber let in three he should have had. If giving up bad ones were a rare occurrence that would be one thing but Gerber has a history of giving up some real weak goals. Who besides Nikolai Khabibulin (whom I personally love going back to his days with the Jets) is available?

I agree, although personally I would rather see them ride out the year with Gerber because I hate the Ottawa Senators. Anyway, Gerber is one of the main reasons I can't believe that anyone thinks the Ottawa Senators are close to a Stanley Cup (especially when you consider the fact that they were the only team not to win one playoff game last year). Yes, Gerber has a Stanley Cup but he only played in 6 games in the playoffs for Carolina (going 1-1 with a 3.53 GAA and a .856 SV%). Granted, he did put up decent numbers last season but I really don't think he's good enough to be the starting goaltender for this team to be considered a Stanley Cup contender.

As for replacements, I'm not sure but I don't think Ottawa has the cap space to take on Khabibulin's contract.

Yes, Gerber has a Stanley Cup but he only played in 6 games in the playoffs for Carolina (going 1-1 with a 3.53 GAA and a .856 SV%). Granted, he did put up decent numbers last season but I really don't think he's good enough to be the starting goaltender for this team to be considered a Stanley Cup contender.

As for replacements, I'm not sure but I don't think Ottawa has the cap space to take on Khabibulin's contract.

Gerber has a ring but his contribution to actually winning the Cup ended really quickly as you mention. Cam Ward winning the Conn Smythe Trophy that year pretty much sums up Gerber's playoff contribution. Gerber sucked enough to have the coaches put in a rookie goalie who then carried the team to the Cup.

I wasn't sure about cap space for the Sens. Do you know of anyone besides Khabibulin who is available?

As the guys on HNIC said, will there now be a goaltending controversy in Ottawa after Alex Auld played so well against the Pens. It's too bad he lost the shout-out with a second left in the game. If he doesn't start the Sens next game there should be questions regarding the intelligence of the Sens coaching staff. He certainly deserves to start right now more than Gerber.

As the guys on HNIC said, will there now be a goaltending controversy in Ottawa after Alex Auld played so well against the Pens. It's too bad he lost the shout-out with a second left in the game. If he doesn't start the Sens next game there should be questions regarding the intelligence of the Sens coaching staff. He certainly deserves to start right now more than Gerber.

In response to your earlier question, I honestly don't know if there are any goaltenders available who would be better than Gerber. But as a Sen-hater, I certainly hope not.

I'd say a goaltending controversy will depend on if Auld can play that well consistently. He's shown potential but hasn't been much more than a back-up in his entire career.