Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Kennewick Man

Should the skeletal remains be available to scientific study?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should the skeletal remains be available to scientific study?

• Yes, turn him over to the scientists
    • No, give him to one of the tribal plaintiffs.
    • What are you talking about?

This situation got my attention when it first made the news because they did a "reconstruction" and compared his image to Capt Jean-Luc Picard. Since then I have tried to keep up on the story.

Basically, skeletal remains were found in Washington that predate anything previously found and appear to be of a different origin than what scientists have generally thought of as the "first Americans". Tribal representatives sued for return of the body under Federal law.

The issue in the courts now hinges on whether this is a true "Native American" ancestor.

Study of these remains could prove very informative on the previously held ideas about the first Americans. Maybe I am a cynic but I believe objection to his examination lies in part over the desire to keep the true history from coming to light because of its political ramifications.

I don't wish to be insensitive to cultural tradition but I think there should be a way to examine the remains in a discreet and respectful manner. Although what evidence we have suggests these remains don't really belong to a tribal ancestor anyway. I have read of techniques being used on Egyptian and other mummies that met these cultural requirements.

I am very interested in the history of the Americas so I'd love to know the findings on this research but in general I get frustrated with barriers to the truth

Netster

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

i want science to study it. some peole say "what would you do if your grandma was dug up in the name of science?" i personally would not care if it helped us better understand our past or our future.

i really have no idea what your talking about. but just from your short post, i have to say yes. i always want to dig for the truth. i have no problem with respectful examination to further our knowledge.

I think that the descendents of this person should be given the right to decide the body's fate. I deplore what early archaeologists did to the egyptian mummies. I think they even hacked King TUt's body apart. I know they are just bones but it was a human being and I think they should be shown some respect.

I think that the descendents of this person should be given the right to decide the body's fate.  I deplore what early archaeologists did to the egyptian mummies.  I think they even hacked King TUt's body apart.  I know they are just bones but it was a  human being and I think they should be shown some respect.

There is no question the early treatment of mummies was abhorent. However, I saw a program on the Discovery channel about a year ago where a US School was permitted to excavate and examine some very rare mummies because they had shown a respect for culture and tradition. So it is possible to pursue truth and maintain respect

One of the problems is that we don't know who this persons descendants are. The initial skeletal analysis indicated he was not a forebear of the American Indian (or Native American). I think you can understand why someone would have an interest in hiding the fact that another group of people was here before the American Indian. I hate to see truth held hostage to those sorts of motives.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I think that the descendents of this person should be given the right to decide the body's fate.  I deplore what early archaeologists did to the egyptian mummies.  I think they even hacked King TUt's body apart.  I know they are just bones but it was a  human being and I think they should be shown some respect.

I agree with you.

I agree with you.

So how do you know who this person's descendants are?

I agree with you.

So how do you know who this person's descendants are?

I would like scientists to get a close look at this individual,however if the court's rule that the tribal plaintiffs are,in fact,descendants of this "person",then they should have the final determination.

I would like scientists to get a close look at this individual,however if the court's rule that the tribal plaintiffs are,in fact,descendants of this "person",then they should have the final determination.

That't the whole point...if the court's rule this person is an ancester of current Indian tribes that is only a political expediency or a legal fiction. It wouldn't make it true. The only way to determine if he was an actual ancestor would be to do the scientific analysis -which preliminary tests suggest he isn't.

I guess it may seem odd that this case bothers me so much .. it just does.