Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

ok so where do i download

ok so scifi-epz.com is outta business now that they got busted for copyright infringment and all that? cant find any bit torrents sites either.... dangit got class late on wed nites and keep missing the episodes...and i swear it will take me a week to get them off kazaa.... I NEED MY TREK!!!! im going into withdrawl...a guy can only watch ST 1-11 so many times before he goes nutts!!

nevermind i found it...

supernova.org

i downloaded 03x03 extinction in about 25 minutes...plus they got the first 5 seasons of ds9 riped now...

no, the bit torrents site to download all the episodes and dvds is

suprnova.org....theres no "e" between p and r

Edited by deagletime

Same as it is it when you download a TV episode. There are no "degrees" of illegality. It's just as illegal to steal one gum ball as it is to steal a brand new TV.

That may be true, but think of this.

If you download a DVD-ripped movie, you're cheating the people who went to grent lengths to make that movie, out of movie, thus theft.

If you download a TV episode, it's the same as recording with a VCR, you've seen the commercials durring the original airing. How do they loose money if you record/download?

This is why I say downloading current programs is A OK, but downloading that which is available on DVD isn't. :laugh:

That may be true, but think of this.

If you download a DVD-ripped movie, you're cheating the people who went to grent lengths to make that movie, out of movie, thus theft.

If you download a TV episode, it's the same as recording with a VCR, you've seen the commercials durring the original airing.  How do they loose money if you record/download?

This is why I say downloading current programs is A OK, but downloading that which is available on DVD isn't. :laugh:

When you download an episode are there commercials included in the download? technically recording onto VHS is illegal too, so you are comparing one illegal activity to another illegal activity.

The TV People would say that every single time you watch an episode of a TV show there should be new commercials inserted into the proper spots where the commercials are meant to go. By recording and editing out the commercials you are doing exactly what people that Rip DVDs do. Justifying it in your mind doesn't make it any different though.

As for this question:

If you download a TV episode, it's the same as recording with a VCR, you've seen the commercials durring the original airing.  How do they loose money if you record/download?

The TV people would say that they lose money on recorded and downloaded episodes because now you don't have to watch it when it is on commercial TV ever again. It kills syndication and that's where TV shows make the bulk of their money. You may have watched it the original night it aired but that's not where they make their money, they may break even on that first night but it's the reruns later where the money comes in for profit.

Like I said though, you can justify it to yourself but in reality there is no difference in downloading a TV show vs. downloading a DVD movie. If someone were to press charges against you the court would not make any distinction.

wait but how do you play a bit torrent file?

You have to download the Bit Torrent program, then when you download the file it will work like any other file.

what is a bit torrent file?  Is it like a mpeg?

It's just the way the mpeg (or avi/exe/zip etc) is encoded for downloading. You have to have the Bit Torrent program installed in order for your computer to be able to download it. The mpeg/avi itself is no different from any other mpeg/avi though.

You can read about BIt Torrents here:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html

This is a diagram from that page to show an example of how internet transfers normally happen (without Bit Torrent):

central.png

This is how a transfer happens with Bit Torrent:

torrent.png

bit torrents is the way to go...i download tommorows enterprise episode tonight..its ok...the girl is way hot....i guess maybe people in other countrys get it before us?

but anyhow..bit torrents WILL replace kazaa especially since the Feds are craking down...the beauty of bit torrents is that u ONLY share the file that u are downloading if that makes sense..youll have to try it to see what i mean..but because of that the time that u are sharing a file is so minuscule that the feds can never really trace it... bit torrents is the way to go...oh yeah online there is about 100Ks worth of free software so download away

i guess maybe people in other countrys get it before us?

damn the country that does...ive gotta wait till July next year...if it continues to run.,...

i guess maybe people in other countrys get it before us?

What's probably happening is that Paramount has to put the episode on the the satellite for it's affiliate stations to record so they will have it for the airing. They usually do this on a set time/day. I used to watch a lot of shows days before their real air date when I had a C Band satellite. I also used to get the raw feeds of the NFL games, that was cool because on the NFL game raw feeds there were no commercials so when they would have a timeout and the rest of the country was watching a miller lite commercial I was watching the commentators review a replay or discuss how much they dislike the QB of this team or that team. It was great.

There is a possibility though that it's being broadcast to someone earlier then what we get it here in the US.

the beauty of bit torrents is that u ONLY share the file that u are downloading

Yeah, if you start to download an episode of Enterprise then once you have enough of the file downloaded to be able to start sharing it then the Bit Torrent software makes it available to others downloading the same file. Which means that if you start downloading it from 3 people then those 3 people are sharing it among themselves and you are getting portions of the episode from all 3 people. If you have a faster connection then those 3 people and wind up getting more of the episode before them then they will begin to download from you also. Then if 20 more people begin to download that same episode then once they have enough of the file to share with you then you will be downloading from 20+ people.

I've been able to get an 80mb episode in about 10 minutes.

So, with Bit Torrents, this means people could download it from you?

Also, are these "Bit Torrent" files in MPEG format?

The files are in any format at all. MPG, AVI, EXE it all depends on what it is you are downloading.

As for other people downloading from you, that's all automatic. They (the other people) don't even know you exist. They can't access your "shared files" like Kazaa, the uploading and downloading is completely automatic and anonymous. You click a file that you wish to download. Bit Torrents begins downloading and after sometime, once you have a large enough portion of the file that is sharable then the Bit Torrents software begins transferring that to others that are also downloading the same file. So if you have the file and are downloading it then 20 minutes later I begin downloading it the Bit Torrent software will automatically start feeding parts of the file from you to me and the same happens with everyone else that is downloading the file as well.

Once you finish downloading the file or episode then you can close the Bit Torrent and that ends your "session" or you can leave it open to allow other downloaders to continue to share from your file. That's your option. The way I do it is I will download the episode, then I will allow the Bit Torrent to stay open until I have uploaded (shared) the exact file size that I downloaded. In other words, if I download 80mb then I will allow 80mb to be downloaded from me. That way I'm not leeching and it helps the Bit Torrent system thrive. I hope this makes sense.

OK, so if I downloaded, say, the latest episode of ENT, then closed out of Bit Torrents, they can't get in my PC, right?

Correct. I'll explain a little more in depth shortly but I have to leave right now for about 2 hours.

OK, so if I downloaded, say, the latest episode of ENT, then closed out of Bit Torrents, they can't get in my PC, right?

Correct. I'll explain a little more in depth shortly but I have to leave right now for about 2 hours.

Now that I am back let me explain a little more. When you download using Bit Torrents the other users that are downloading from you don't have access to your PC at all. They don't even know that you exist. All they know is that they are downloading the episode and X number of people are also downloading it from them. There is no searching of your files by other people or anything of that sort. The person is given parts of the episode (or file) by the Bit Torrent system that just happens to be on your computer but nothing else at all.

so in essence the beauty of it is that u share only for a fraction of the time that u would on kazaa...and u only share the one immediate file that u are downloading..further, if u are downloading from other users that have a incompete download themselves, it is impossible for them to terminate their connection to you.....therefore as an alternative to kazaa, it is faster with much less risk of copyright liability as u would if u were using kazaa..

so in essence the beauty of it is that u share only for a fraction of the time that u would on kazaa...and u only share the one immediate file that u are downloading..further, if u are downloading from other users that have a incompete download themselves, it is impossible for them to terminate their connection to you.....therefore as an alternative to kazaa, it is faster with much less risk of copyright liability as u would if u were using kazaa..

Agreed, and another good thing about Bit Torrents. THe sites that you get files from are regular people, they only put up links for verified files. Meaning if you download an Episode of Enterprise you can be sure that it is what the title says it is where on KaZaa when you download something you never know if you are downloading something that was renamed just to tick someone off. I tried to download a movie once and it turned out to be a My Little Ponies movie. :assimilated:

where on KaZaa when you download something you never know if you are downloading something that was renamed just to tick someone off. I tried to download a movie once and it turned out to be a My Little Ponies movie.  :P

so did it work? when u saw all the pink ponies did u get pissed off? lol