Sign in to follow this  
Enoch

Trekkie or Trekker?

Is it Trekkie or Trekker? What’s the difference? What do you prefer? I don’t want to start a galactic war but I would love to hear you opinion.

According to a lot of people, and I think Wiki might say the same;

Trekkie- Takes serious life leasons from the show and incorporates it into their every day lives

Trekker- Just watches Trek as a TV series, but doesn't take anything from it other than it being a really fun thing to watch.

I don't consider myself anything other than a Star Trek fan. I prefer the name "Trekkie" if anyone calls me anything, but I almost fit more into the "Trekker" catergory. Both can be as equally in love with the show, so it has nothing to really do with loyalty or anything like that. In my opinion, anyone can call themself either or neither.

I've heard many takes on this, the most prominent of which is that Trekkies are a bit more lighthearted about the series than Trekkers. Trekkers, in this scenario, are the die-hard, know-every-fact-of-the-show, snobbish Trek Fans.

Personally I prefer the name Trekkie, since the name actually sounds more fun and less stuffy than Trekker, but at the same time I HAVE seen every episode and every movie many times and know every class of every ship from every species and so on...so I think it's more of a personal preference than anything.

agreed. I have been a Trek fan for 5 years and I don't think the Trekkie/Trekker name discussion has even came up 10 times in those years. Truth is, I don't even think about it

I prefer Trekkie, but that’s just me.

I have heard several different distinctions between trekkie and trekker. But I think it’s just a matter of preference.

Wikipedia seems to have a small section on some of the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie

Edited by LouiseTrek

I've said it before numerous times, and I'll say it again...

A Trekkie is a fan of Star Trek. A Trekker is a fan of taking really long walks.

I remember someone at school trying to tell me that Trekkie was the American name for a Star Trek fan while Trekker was the British name for it. I'm pretty certain the person in question wouldn't count themselves as either so I'm happy to question the validity of that claim. I've always been happy to be a Trekkie.

I think originally there was a difference but now I think it is just a matter of personal preference on what you want to be called.

From what I understand, Trekker first appeared when TNG came out and was invented by fans who wanted to distance themselves from TOS Trekkies for some reason.

Let's face it though, as soon as a person attaches a nickname to themself that identifies them as a fan of something, you know that person is more hardcore than the general public and I'm not referring to just Trek. Trekkie, Cheesehead, Dead Head, VABeach Bunny... all just show you are devoted to your cause.

I've always considered myself a trekkie but I guess both words apply..I've never been comfortable saying trekker though..Doesn't sound right..

Hey, what is a VABeach Bunny ??

VABeach Bunny...

:whistling:

I seem to recall there being a few female fans of your on the boards. I just gave them a name. LOL

I've said it before numerous times, and I'll say it again...

A Trekkie is a fan of Star Trek. A Trekker is a fan of taking really long walks.

:whistling: I think I remember you saying that before...long ago.

I prefer Trekker to Trekkie. To me, when I hear the work Trekkie, I see images of adolescents who drink more Pepsi than they should and have a tendency to giggle a lot. Poodle skirts and bobby socks also come to mind when I hear trekkie. Trekker, on the other hand, conveys a more balanced sense of what the show is and what reality is, or perhaps what we would like it to be. To me, it's just a more mature label for any Star trek fan, like myself, who has been there since the beginning in 1966. I may not have the technical manuals or blueprints memorized but I do have a very real appreciation for what the series and idealism of Star Trek has accomplished. Real life may still get in the way but at heart, I'm a Star Trekker.