Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Any military people out there?

I think 8247 is thinking of joining up. I really wanted to after 9/11 and looked into it, but decided because of my back problems that I'd better stay out.

No I am not, however I am a "military brat". My dad is retired disabled Coast Guard and my grandfather(on my mom's side) fought in WWII in the Air Force.

I have been asked whether or not I would ever join...probably not. One problem is a little bit of a disability in my wrist and elbow, that and I am rather short (under 5 feet tall).

I was in the Army from 1975-78,I was stationed in Germany at Anderson Barreks near the town of Nierstien on the Rhine river.I drove a C.E.V. (Combat Engineer Vehicle) Its basically an M-60 tank with a bulldozer blade and wench and boom,also a 155 millimeter cannon,a 60 caliber machine gun and a 50 caliber machine gun.

We added a few extras to our tank as well,like an 8-Track tape player and 4 speakers on the turrent so no matter which way we spun the cannon we all had stereo!And we added a ice chest to keep those tasty German beers cool while we were rolling about playing war.

Ahhhhh the good ole days! :wow:

I (for a short time) wanted to join the army, but I know I wouldn't make it, I've got the flatest feet you'd ever see and I'm not the type that wants to be shot and all of a sudden never be able to play an instrument ever again.

I just value my musical talent too much to chance losing it forever.

I served in the USN from '77-to-'81.I started my career as a steward,but eventually made chief boatswain's mate.Spent the majority of my career serving aboard the guided-missile cruiser South Carolina.

I joined as much for the opportunity for travel as for the chance to get the Navy to pay my way through school.And I did get to travel.I've been to Japan,South Korea,Singapore,the Philipines ,New Zealand,and Australia,just to name a few places.

Never found myself involved in any sort of hostilities,though I was in the south china sea back in march of '79 when Carter sent us in to keep an eye on the Chinese invasion of north vietnam.I was scared to death :eek:

I served in the USN from '77-to-'81.I started my career as a steward,but eventually made chief boatswain's mate.Spent the majority of my career serving aboard the guided-missile cruiser South Carolina.

I joined as much for the opportunity for travel as for the chance to get the Navy to pay my way through school.And I did get to travel.I've been to Japan,South Korea,Singapore,the Philipines ,New Zealand,and Australia,just to name a few places.

Never found myself involved in any sort of hostilities,though I was in the south china sea back in march of '79 when Carter sent us in to keep an eye on the Chinese invasion of north vietnam.I was scared to death :eek:

Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot that happened between 77 and 81. Did you ever get to Norfolk?

I am a Canadian of course. I want to join the Army, but probably wont. I most likely move to the US. Live there for a year and join the US Army. I'd like to serve in the Forces for a few years. But the Canadian Military sucks. Hey, I just offended myself.

I am a Canadian of course. I want to join the Army, but probably wont. I most likely move to the US. Live there for a year and join the US Army. I'd like to serve in the Forces for a few years. But the Canadian Military sucks. Hey, I just offended myself.

What about the other Canadian forces? Navy or Air Force?

As far as the US Army goes I say go for it, I loved my time in the Army. In fact I am encoding a video tape from when I was in Basic Training and if I can get a good enough quality that is small enough for the internet I'll post it.

Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot that happened between 77 and 81. Did you ever get to Norfolk?

No.

I've been through Norfolk,but not before I left the Navy.After basic in Great Lake,Illinois I was sent directly to San Diego.From there I spent the better part of a year in Yokosuka,Japan before returning to San Diego,where I finished out my career.

I have a ton of photos from my time in the Navy,I'm thinking that tomorrow or the next day I'll sort through them and maybe I'll post one or two.

No.

I've been through Norfolk,but not before I left the Navy.After basic in Great Lake,Illinois I was sent directly to San Diego.From there I spent the better part of a year in Yokosuka,Japan before returning to San Diego,where I finished out my career.

I have a ton of photos from my time in the Navy,I'm thinking that tomorrow or the next day I'll sort through them and maybe I'll post one or two.

That would be great. Me being Army I usually throw a few friendly jabs at Navy guys but I'll lay off for now :eek:

:eek: Yeah,my father was an Army man.He wouldn't speak to me or return my letters for more than a year after I joined the Navy.He hated it.

That's why I didn't even tell him I'd joined the Navy until just after MEPs,before I got bussed off to Illinois.The man hit the roof.

What about the other Canadian forces? Navy or Air Force?

As far as the US Army goes I say go for it, I loved my time in the Army. In fact I am encoding a video tape from when I was in Basic Training and if I can get a good enough quality that is small enough for the internet I'll post it.

I am not a fan of the CF Navy, or the Airforce.

Just curious,Batok.Why so down on your country's military?

The Canadian military uses much the same technology and hardware that the British and American military's use.The Canadian military has an excellent SAS unit,you could try for (modeled after the British SAS,arguably the finest elite special forces in the world).And the Canadian military has an honorable tradition.

IMO,you should be proud to serve your country.I know I'd never join the military of a foreign country.But that's just me.

Just because the Canadian government is smart enough to not become involved in every little war all over the planet,keeping most of its military forces close to home,doesn't make the Canadian armed forces inferior....just more apt to keep their service personnel alive. :eek:

Edited by trekkiebabe

I am not bashing my country, I know all of this.

I didn't accuse you of bashing Canada.I'm just wondering why'd you prefer to serve in the U.S. Military?Unless,you'd rather not say...which is fine.

Myself,I came really close to joining the U.S. Coast Guard just after my senior year of high school.A USCG officer visited my school and I ended up talking to her for almost an hour during my lunch period about the pros and cons of a career in the Coast Guard.Ultimately,I chickened out at the last second.... :eek: something I have occasionally regretted since then.But,It isn't too late.Next year,after college I still might join.

I've been thinking about joining the army as i computer technician and i am still thinking.

:laugh:

I know someone joining the ARMY. Would you like to speak with him?

Thanks for the offwer but i am going to be going to an army recruting sentre friday to ask about it and try and get some info on it. I think in the end i probely will join though.

You see, trekkiebabe, I am one of those individuals who isn't really 'gung-ho' for their own country. I am extremely pro-American. Kinda ironic isnt it?

I still have not decided if I am going to be joining the Military, American, Canadian or not.

My father was an Army Soilder, he served in Korea worked in a MASH unit. I actually remember him telling me about it. I cannot remember the whole stories cause it was very long ago. I was 15 when he died. I signed up I was in the Army for about six months, then I hurt my back and was discharged.

I've been thinking about joining the army as i computer technician and i am still thinking.

I know someone joining the ARMY. Would you like to speak with him?

Thanks for the offwer but i am going to be going to an army recruting sentre friday to ask about it and try and get some info on it. I think in the end i probely will join though.

B)

Big advice. Take a friend with you. I was discussing this with my friend a while back, and he said the recruiter guy will do everything he can to get you to join. He said it's best to go with a budy so you're not easilly influenced. Your "buddy" is also there to keep you from making quick decissions in the event you decide to join. :laugh: