Sign in to follow this  
Essoq

Closet Homosexuals on TNG?

If one of the main characters on TNG "came out of the closet" who would it be?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If one of the main characters on TNG "came out of the closet" who would it be?

• Picard
    • Riker
    • Data
    • Worf
    • Geordi
    • Dr. Crusher
    • Troi

I seriosly dought that any of the mentioned characters would as you said Get ou of the closet.So I didn´t vote for any of them,even though I was considering voting for Deanna troi. :laugh:

Remember to close your formating tags when you post. Thanks.

Takara

I'd think that showing anyone's sexual preference or orientation would be a non-issue on Trek because humanity would have advanced beyond such differences.

However, the reality is that a homosexual character would be immediately identified as the homosexual character, so much so that any other facet of the character would be totally buried. And what Captain Jean-Luc Picard said is exactly correct..the character would be "gay representation" only, revered by some, reviled by others. It would be a media crapfest as well. I can already envision the horrible TV Guide article about it too.

I feel that life is hard enough, and if you can find lasting love with another person, regardless of gender in this world, then you win.

I do not see any of them as being gay, but I voted for Deanna Troi because I think that she would be the most receptive to a Lesbian encounter.

As for homosexuality on Star Trek, I am all for it. But I agree that the character should be respectable, and not played under the stereotype that the media usually uses to depict the homosexual community, as very few members of the gay community act in that manner.

I voted for none of them. It's not that I have a problem with homsexuals in trek but that none of them are.

the coments on deviding the fan base is true though. A few years back Patric Stewart Made a movie called Geoffrey the whole movie is about Homosexuality and Stewarts Charater Stirling is the most overt of all.

Now it dosent matter if the movie is very Funny, Thought provoking, touching and moving, the fans went nutts, with crys of "Captain Picard is not gay". no but Patric Stewart is not Picard he just plays him.

If you have not seen this movie then you should find it and watch it, it is very very good with Stewart Awesome as allways.(one of my gay friends said that Stewart plays the best Queen he has ever seen on film)

I totally agree, the movie "Jeffrey" is one of my fave Patrick Stewart movies, and Sterling is my fave guy in the movie. ;)

Patrick himself once said that Q could be more than just "interested" in Jean-Luc Picard. He gave an interview to "The Advocate" in 1995 in which he said that he though it would be appropriate for Trek to have gay characters.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I voted for Geordi but I'm not sure why.

Well I had to pick Geordi by default. He's the only one who seems to have girl problems. (Heck, even Picard got Vash!)

I would have preferred voting for Dr. Pulaski or Wesley Crusher or, heck, even Q but these weren't options in the poll.

I would not object to there being a homosexual character in ST, but I would not want them to be there purely so there is a homosexual there. To put a homosexual character in just so they can say "look we have a gay character" Thats just insulting

I know several gay people and most people would never know they were, most things you discussed were mainly stereotypes and if Star Trek did have a Homosexual individual on star trek would mainly just have a differant sexual preference and would not be anything more which it shouldn't be, because anything else would only be an insult to homosexual individuals.

As for the poll I selected Data for it would fit for him trying to gain more area's of his own blooming humanity.

I honestly think there should be a character who is interesting and funny, who is competant in their job and is one of the main players. I think the fact that this character happens to be gay should be a secondary consideration for the most part.

I have seen television shows tackle this question, DS9 did it quite well, though character circumstances threw a spanner in the works for Jadzia, it was hinted at that she could be a bi-sexual.

Maybe Trek should take cues from shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to include a gay character in the main players and still carried the ratings well. Why? Beacause the characters sexuality wasn't a main part of her but was a part of a much more rounded character, it was a facet that was intergrated in.

The reason this show wasn't losing major amounts of ratings? because it wasn't shown every five seconds, and because there wasn't a huge episode point made of it. They showed she was a lesbian and left it at that, she was still valueble. The fact that the character was a lesbian wasn't a huge thing, but really an evolution in a) the shows ability to tackle the real life aspect of us all and b ) the character in concern.

Angelic

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

(Hi Newbie here)

In my opinion none of the characters of the above poll were gay at all..But if there were a homosexual character i would be fine with it.After all there would be alternative lifestyles in the future . :laugh:

Yeah, I wouldn't think they would harbor any prejudice against anyone of a different sexual orientation.... after all, men and women are equal there, and different ways of life are respected, for the most part. I couldn't see them harboring ill will against homosexuality... (A lesson we could all learn... I'm not gay, but I don't hate people who are.) :grin:

Man... It looks like Geordi is leading the poll.

Which is bad for him. I think that he just had bad luck with the ladies because they were hung up with his visor.

I voted for Deanna. I cant say that any of the main characters had any homosexual promise, but if one were to take that lifestyle, it would be her.

Hmm... Mabye if she had of become homosexual in the first season, then her and Tasha Yar could have had something...

Just a thought.

:cool:

Edited by shadowfigment

Actually yeah, I can see Tasha... wow... didn't think of that... :grin:

Anyway, I can dig the whole visor thing... I think if a woman had it it would be intimidating... not sure why... I'll have to think on that...

A gay Klingon! Could you imagine it! I would actually say Picard. He' s so well cultured and never really engages passionately with women.

Hello! I would say that nobody of Star Trek could be an homosexual. I love Data, who is normal.

Hiya star_rose. I really hate to nit-pick but could you clarify one thing for me? Do you mean 'normal' in the context in that he has the same sexuality as the rest of the crew ie Hetrosexual, or do you mean 'normal' in the context that Hetrosexual's are normal and Homosexuals and Bisexuals are 'abnormal'?

BTW, I would have loved to have just once seen two males or two females having a quite kiss in the background in Ten Forward. No need to draw any attention to it, just for it to be there. I would have been nice... awwwwww... :(

OK: I have said "normal", because Data has loved Tasha and the queen of Borg. Therefore I think that he is heterosexual. I'm Italian, and so I cannot explain better my thought. However, I didn't want to offend anybody, I have read the first mail of this forum about the sexuality of my best actor and so I have written my reply...

bye

star rose