Sign in to follow this  
Tank

What's your favorite book?

What was your favorite Star Trek Novel? Also what crew do you enjoy reading about the most?

My favorite books that I've read so far have been:

'Sarek' which took place 3 months after Star Trek VI

'Strangers from the Sky' which was about Kirk, Spock and Bones and took place all over the time line.

and 'Dark Mirrior' which was the TNG version of TOS episode "Mirrior Mirrior"

Anyway those are my favorites, but in the words of Geordi Laforge himself "Don't take my word for it!"

"Immortal Coil", "Star Trek Nemesis", " Metamorphosis" are my picks for best Star Trek books. Mainly cause the first and third center around Data! And Nemesis was one of the best movies, IMO, and the novel is even better!

And of course I like reading about the TNG crew the best!

I liked the first Shatner trilogy "Ashes to Eden" through "Avenger." Mainly because Kirk is my fav character and seeing him ressurected from the dead was a kick. I also like the entire "New Earth" series because it dealt in that time between motion pic and Wrath of Khan. Anything that has to do with a crossover usually appeals to me too (ie: Crossover, Brave and the Bold, Federation) nothing like a good mix of crews to make the Star Trek universe more tangible.

I liked the first Shatner trilogy "Ashes to Eden" through "Avenger."  Mainly because Kirk is my fav character and seeing him ressurected from the dead was a kick.  I also like the entire "New Earth" series because it dealt in that time between motion pic and Wrath of Khan.  Anything that has to do with a crossover usually appeals to me too (ie: Crossover, Brave and the Bold, Federation) nothing like a good mix of crews to make the Star Trek universe more tangible.

I too love the series that Shatner is doing. But isn't it more than a trilogy, starting with The Return?

My favorites so far have been the New Frontier series by Peter David. I've read all twelve installments and am eagerly awaiting the thirteenth that should be due out by November of this year. Also recently finished "A Stitch in Time", a semi-autobiographical novel of Garak by Andrew Robinson, that gives us a clearer picture of life on Cardasia before and after the Dominion occupation. Sort of like reading a persons account of the rebuilding of Europe after WW II. Though it's hard to find much compassion for Cardassians I still have a soft spot for the Garak Character himself and was actually quite good reading. I also just finished a new two book series, "The Brave and the Bold", that combines aspects of all the Star Trek series from the present Enterprise right on up through the Next generation and re-introduces characters that we have seen on all the series into one storyline. I highly recommend this two book series since it's actually quick reading and the story of a 90,000 year old empire attempting to re-insert itself into what is now Federation space is a fascinating premise. But as mentioned, the favorites, so far, have been the New Frontier series.

I liked the first Shatner trilogy "Ashes to Eden" through "Avenger."  Mainly because Kirk is my fav character and seeing him ressurected from the dead was a kick.  I also like the entire "New Earth" series because it dealt in that time between motion pic and Wrath of Khan.  Anything that has to do with a crossover usually appeals to me too (ie: Crossover, Brave and the Bold, Federation) nothing like a good mix of crews to make the Star Trek universe more tangible.

I too love the series that Shatner is doing. But isn't it more than a trilogy, starting with The Return?

It is actually more then a trilogy, I should have been more specific sorry. The concept of "Return" and "Avenger" is an on going story from Shatner's first book "Ashes to Eden." "Ashes To Eden" introduced the character of Telani and shows what happened to the Enterprise A. What I met by first trilogy because basically these stories were linked all together in a plot sense. What I consider Shatners second Trilogy is "Spectre", "Dark Victory" and "Perserver." Since each book has to do with Kirk and company going up against the mirror universe it's sort of a seperate massive story then the first. Am I making any sense?

Anyway that's the reason why I called it his "first trilogy." I haven't read Captain's Peril yet (Shatner's newest book) mainly because I want to wait for the paperback. Has anyone else read it? Some one perhaps richer then me? :wow:

I am a huge NF fan. Also enjoying Star Gazer and Diane Carey's New Earth series. And of course the DS9 relaunch.

I liked the ShatnerTrek novels at first, but as time ground on and he started to write characters like Sulu and Picard as out of character, lickspittles and idiots I grew tired of the whole thing.

The Devils Heart..by Peter David. Excellent..uses Picards emotions and deals with past, future and present.

Years and years ago they did two books that were TOS based and where mostly short stories from some of the best TOS writers. It had stories like "Mind sifter" and "Visit to a strange planet, revisited" and many others that i can't remember the titles for...hum, i think there was also one called "Surprise!"

these were awesome and i have read them over and over again. I LOVED them. I wish they would do a book like those for all the incarnations of Trek.

Guest Lurker047
Years and years ago they did two books that were TOS based and where mostly short stories from some of the best TOS writers. It had stories like "Mind sifter" and "Visit to a strange planet, revisited" and many others that i can't remember the titles for...hum, i think there was also one called "Surprise!"

these were awesome and i have read them over and over again. I LOVED them. I wish they would do a book like those for all the incarnations of Trek.

You're thinking of the STAR TREK: NEW VOYAGES anthologies. Pocket has something along those lines, as they produce a new edition of STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS each year, where the stories are the winning entries submitted by fans as part of an annual writing contest. Some of the winners in SNW have gone on to write other Trek fiction, too.

that's it! i have them in a box somewhere. Have you read them? They were so fresh and insightful at the time. I loved them and read them til the bindind was like fabric.

they were what i refer to as brain candy!

god, ive read so many of them it seems...

Uhuras Song is definetly one of my favorite, along with Best Destiny....and i have to admit...i kinda liked Imzadi as well :tear: i just read the janus gate trilogy, and it was pretty awesome as well! i cant wait to read the second part of eugnics wars!

I haven't read any ST books in ages, but I've read a couple of TNG books back when I was younger. I think my favorite was Masks (totally different than the episode of the same name). It took place during the second season of ST so it had Pulaski. It had a lot of twists and turns and was really in-depth from what I remember. Plus, Picard got it on with a lady hehe.

I love reading the two Imzadi books!!! over and over again from tng but I also love to read all voyager books being that voyager is my favorite series haha.

I LOVE the Imzadi books!!! :tear: I'm about half way through with the first one.

Click for Spoiler:

My favorite part is when Deanna knees Riker when he trys to have sex with her!

The one i'm reading at the moment. DS9 Avatar book one. It's great to carry on from where "What you leave behind" left off.

You guys make me feel so old-fashioned. My fav book of all time is "Uhura's Song." But I love "The Romulan Way," "Ishmael," "How Much For Just The Planet," "Q-In-Law," "The Siege (DS9)," "Crisis on Centaurus (my second fav)," and various others. I don't like the crossovers as a rule, although some are ok

I LOVE the Imzadi books!!! :laugh: I'm about half way through with the first one.

Click for Spoiler:

My favorite part is when Deanna knees Riker when he trys to have sex with her!

Click for Spoiler:

That is an amusing scene!!

You're thinking of the STAR TREK: NEW VOYAGES anthologies. Pocket has something along those lines, as they produce a new edition of STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS each year, where the stories are the winning entries submitted by fans as part of an annual writing contest. Some of the winners in SNW have gone on to write other Trek fiction, too.

I think these two books are definately my favorites! :( I loved Mind Sifter by Shirley Maiewski in the first one, and In the Maze by Jennifer Guttridge and The Procrustean Petard by Sondra Marshak & Myrna Culbreath in the second one. I love the short stories the best! A fast ST fix for anyone who loves ST! I have all 5 of the newer Strange Worlds but it's not the same. They don't 'feel' right. I don't know if that makes any sense but that's how I precive them. I've read just about all of the OS novels, and several NG that I really liked but do you think I could remember any at the moment? :innocent: I liked the first Imzadi but couldn't get into the second one, I'll have to try again. I loved all the Q stories. I'm having trouble getting into the 'series' type books because once I finish a book I want it to end, not 'drag on' to the next '60' (exageration, lol). They must be popular because everybody else likes them. Of course, I'm like that with all my SF or story reading, short and sweet.

Katy

I was sure I'd replied already....

I like Immortal Coil, then Lives of Dax, then Pathways, the Mosaic (possibly switch around the last two?)

"The Price of the Phenix" and "The Fate of the Phenix" were my all time favorate TOS books. I like BlackFire as my second runner up. But I do not think I can say that I like them better then say the Peter David Excalibur series for it is totally different and based in different times as well.

I read and buy all Star Trek The New Voyages (loved mind sifter, used to read it over and over and over Danger danger) and hope for my own works to be printed in one at least before I die ROFL

Another, well not exactly novel is Strange New Worlds I and II. I like only selected stories from it, my favorite being "I Am Become Death", a very interesting story!!

My all time favorite book would definitely have to be "Imzadi" by Peter David. I can remember waiting anxiously for it to arrive from the book club that I was a member of, then spending all weekend reading it. I carry a copy in my car to read during slow periods at work, when I cannot be posting here. It is one of the few books that I have read more than once, I almost have it memorized.

As for non-Trek books I love the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, or any of his other works for that matter. He is a great author, just wish he had been able to write a Trek book, that would have rocked.

My all time favorite Star Trek book is "Crossover" by Michael Jan Friedman,its a great story about Mr.Spock and some of his reunification followers that are captured by the Romulins.Capt.Picard is sent to the neutral zone while Stafleet trys to figure out what to do.Also on board the Enterprise-D is Admiral McCoy as an advisor.

Meanwhile Scotty hears about Spock and returns to Earth and steals an old Constitution Cass starship (Which was an orbiting museum) Installs the old romulin cloaking device that was on display and warps off on a rescue attempt.I've read this book a couple of times now,its really good!

I've also enjoyed Peter David's "New Frontier" series and the "New Earth" books as well.

My all time favorite Star Trek book is "Crossover" by Michael Jan Friedman,its a great story about Mr.Spock and some of his reunification followers that are captured by the Romulins.Capt.Picard is sent to the neutral zone while Stafleet trys to figure out what to do.Also on board the Enterprise-D is Admiral McCoy as an advisor.

Meanwhile Scotty hears about Spock and returns to Earth and steals an old Constitution Cass starship (Which was an orbiting museum) Installs the old romulin cloaking device that was on display and warps off on a rescue attempt.I've read this book a couple of times now,its really good!

I've also enjoyed Peter David's "New Frontier" series and the "New Earth" books as well.

Crossover sounds really good, I think it might have to be the next book I pick up actually. Ever since Reunification I've been wanting to know what else happened on Romulous with Spock.

I haven't read Captain's Peril yet (Shatner's newest book) mainly because I want to wait for the paperback.  Has anyone else read it?  Some one perhaps richer then me?  B)

I have read "Captain's Peril". IMHO, it's a damn good book. I have it in hardback so it was a little pricey, but I think it was definately worth the price I paid. I highly recommend it. Has a sort of "Generations" feel to it. Pick this one up for sure!

SAREK;DARK PASSIONS #1Uhura's Song;Metamorphosis;Dark Mirror;Q-in-Law;Warchild;Antimatter;Avatar Books #1Pathways;Day of Honor(all 6 books);ect.

I would have to say any thing written by Peter David with the new fronteir books on the top.  Drednought and Battlestations were great.

Oh, I forgot about Dreadnought and Battlestations. Those were great! I thought I would hate them since

Click for Spoiler:

the Star Trek crews aren't the basis of the stories. But Piper is a hoot! They read like they were written by a true fan.

I also enjoy Ishmael and Black Fire. There are so many, I can't list them.

Peter David is an excellent author but he has been replaced as my favorite Trek author by Greg Cox, The Eugenics Wars are blowing me away, Khan lives!