Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Happy 4th of July

post-83-1088927321.jpg

Fireworks-01.gifFireworks-09.gif

In the United States we celebrate the 4th of July. What is it that we are celebrating though? The 4th of July is called Independence Day and it is the day we celebrate the birth of our nation in 1776. I've always felt it was a little misleading to call it Independence day though.

On April 19, 1775 war broke out between England and the 13 English colonies in north America at Lexington, Massachusetts and nearby Concord. This was the beginning of the American Revolution, known in the United States as the Revolutionary War.

More then a year after the war began, on July 2, 1776, the the Second Continental Congress officially resolved that the united colonies should be free and independent states. On July 4, the Declaration of Independence was formally approved by Congress and that is why we celebrate July 4th as the Birth date of the United States of America.

post-83-1088926889.gif

It would take an additional 7 years before Independence was truly won though when on September 3, 1783 the Treaty of Paris was signed ending the war and England recognized the United States independence. It wasn't until 5 more years had passed that on July 2, 1788 that our Constitution was ratified and became the law of the land, setting the frame work for what we now know as the Federal Government.

So, every July 4th we celebrate the birth of our nation and we celebrate the Declaration of our Independence from Great Britain and King George III. It is a day of great national pride where parades take place, families are in their back yards cooking on the grill or are in parks having picnics. In the evening, after the sun has gone down there are grand fireworks shows all across the country. It is a day of National unity where political boundaries vanish and we are all one people, one Nation.

So, to all of those that read this for which this day has meaning I want to say Happy 4th of July, and to the Nation that I love so much and to the flag that I saluted while I was in the Army I say Happy 232nd Birthday.

Happy Fourth of July!

Since our library will be hosting an exhibit on him this Fall, I've been reading the book Benjamin Franklin by Isaacson. Franklin is considered one of the founding fathers of the United States, and was instrumental in gaining the French aid needed to help defeat the British during the Revolutionary War. He was also a leading scientist, inventor, and printer. The book is an interesting read, especially today, on our nation's birthday!

Edited by trekz

Today many people will became citizens of the United States. They will take the following oath, the United States Oath of Citizenship, to gain the same rights and privileges all United States born citizens have.

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

I meant to add this video to the original post for Amy but forgot. I'm also including one I made a couple years ago below that.

It was also 12 years ago today that Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum kicked some alien butt.

Oh Hell Yeah, that was a fun Film!

Thanks for the reminder, I need to watch it

I don't fully understand it all, but for the record,

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL YOU AMERICANS

I don't fully understand it all, but for the record,

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL YOU AMERICANS

You don't understand it? As the first post explains the 4th of July is the day in 1776 when the 2nd Continental Congress declared that the 13 british colonies in North America were dissolving their colonial ties with England and declaring their independence and became the United States of America. A sovereign nation, ruled by itself and not by the King of England.

We celebrate it as our Independence Day, independence from foreign rule.

I recommed every watch John Adams series by HBO.

I celebrated by drinking domestic beer....until I fell asleep...

Aren't you a tad bit young to be drinking beer?

Awsome thread Kevin!:(

No, he is 23. I remember when he turn 21! :bag:

Edited by Odie