Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

Angry kids protest gas prices after losing cable TV

SALT LAKE CITY - Sadie and Pyper Vance have had just about enough of high gas prices. The sisters are still years away from being old enough to drive, but that doesn't mean the $4 per gallon price tag isn't hitting them as hard as anyone else.

Cable TV was one of the family's budget-cutting casualties, leaving Sadie, 9, and her 7-year-old sister without their favorite cartoons and shows.

"Gas prices are too high," Sadie said. "I just decided to come and protest so they'd go down."

The girls marched through downtown Monday chanting and carrying signs made from old campaign signs.

"All of my mom's monny goes to the gas tank!" Pyper's sign read. Sadie carried a sign asking drivers to honk to lower gas prices — adding that her mom had to cut "cabel."

The girls got some waves and a few thumbs-up to show support.

"I think it's great," said Hamid Tayeb, who was walking past on his lunch break. "It's unfortunate that kids are doing it before we do."

oh my gosh! just because they have to live without their hannah montana because gas is more important than the luxury of cable.. i wonder if the parents explained things to them..

wow!

Actually, these kids are using more initiative than any of the adults in this country. There really should have been mass protests by now.

While it's true that kids show initiative to complain - it also shows their parents have some priorities straight and got rid of cable rather than go into debt like so much of the country has done to meet the economic challenges.

As for complaining, who would we complain to that cared or that would do anything? I don't believe our government cares - or that the high prices help push their agendas.

PS. I got rid of cable too.

As for complaining, who would we complain to that cared or that would do anything? I don't believe our government cares - or that the high prices help push their agendas.

Futile or not, I have written 3 times to the Governor of Maryland asking him to consider suspending the State Gas Tax as some other Governors have done. I have also written to my Congressman and Senator telling them if they want my vote, they will do what the people in this country want and they should vote to allow the USA to drill its own oil and reduce our dependence on maniacal rulers in the Middle East.

Futile or not, I have written 3 times to the Governor of Maryland asking him to consider suspending the State Gas Tax as some other Governors have done. I have also written to my Congressman and Senator telling them if they want my vote, they will do what the people in this country want and they should vote to allow the USA to drill its own oil and reduce our dependence on maniacal rulers in the Middle East.

My Governor said that if we suspend the Gas Tax, the revenue would be made up by raising the property tax.

So, that idea died a quick death.

Shouldn't 7 and 9 year olds know how to spell the words "money" and "cable" correctly? Perhaps they need to spend more time with a dictionary than with the television.

I thought they were the American way of spelling, like color and colour.

Personally I find American spelling better.

I can't see how kid's can be so involved in TV I never watch mine anymore. Apart from my Trek VHS

My Governor said that if we suspend the Gas Tax, the revenue would be made up by raising the property tax.

So, that idea died a quick death.

Your Governor is an idiot, just like mine. It would only be for the summer

While I agree that cable is a luxury, I think that it is a good sign that these kids went out to at least do something to try to help the situation. It shows initiative and it teaches them that speaking up and trying to do something even if it seems futile is the right way to show your position rather than resorting to violence and terrorism.

I can see some violence coming out of this gas situation if the price goes up much further.......

I can see some violence coming out of this gas situation if the price goes up much further.......

I agree. This is getting out of hand and is hitting the middle class and below the hardest since they are the ones that have the least money to be able to spend on the inflated gas prices and the least amount of choice about having to spend the money because they are dependent on automobiles to get back and forth to work.

Your Governor is an idiot, just like mine.

There must be an epidemic

I'm beginning to believe its a job requirement!......... :cheers:

You guys think you have something to be angry about!?!? Take a look at it from a Canadian perspective. Canada is the top supplier of petroleum products to the US - Energy Information Administration website - and our gas prices are higher than yours. Where I live gas prices are currently at approximately $1.33 per litre which is $5.03 per US gallon. Thank NAFTA for that and consider yourselves lucky!

You guys think you have something to be angry about!?!? Take a look at it from a Canadian perspective. Canada is the top supplier of petroleum products to the US - Energy Information Administration website - and our gas prices are higher than yours. Where I live gas prices are currently at approximately $1.33 per litre which is $5.03 per US gallon. Thank NAFTA for that and consider yourselves lucky!

When comparing that you have to take into account that from my research the average minimum wage for Canada is $8.28 which is $331.20 for a 40 hour week. In the US the average Minimum Wage (Taking into account of the federal of $5.85 being the absolute lowest then going by state) is $6.73 which is $269.20 for a 40 hour week. Going on the basis that a tank of Gas is 13 gallons of gasoline, and we will use your $5.03 for Canada and the national average for the us of $4.07 a gallon

Canada Tank of Gas $65.39 19.74%

US Tank of Gas $52.91 19.73%

Taking into account the above and the assumtion that one tank of gas is used per week then both countries are spending 20% of their gross weekly income on gasoline.

So a very long story short, we both have an equal right to complain about the gas prices.

Actually, 7 year olds wouldn't necessarily be great spellers - kids this age are still sounding things phonetically.

and the assumtion that one tank of gas is used per week
I wish - I could almost do it if I just drove straight to work and back.

That's a good analysis btw

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

When comparing that you have to take into account that from my research the average minimum wage for Canada is $8.28 which is $331.20 for a 40 hour week. In the US the average Minimum Wage (Taking into account of the federal of $5.85 being the absolute lowest then going by state) is $6.73 which is $269.20 for a 40 hour week. Going on the basis that a tank of Gas is 13 gallons of gasoline, and we will use your $5.03 for Canada and the national average for the us of $4.07 a gallon

Canada Tank of Gas $65.39 19.74%

US Tank of Gas $52.91 19.73%

Taking into account the above and the assumtion that one tank of gas is used per week then both countries are spending 20% of their gross weekly income on gasoline.

That doesn't take into account that Canadians are gouged when it comes to pricing on just about every product available when compared to the US. Cars cost thousands more in Canada for the same model and that is with the Canadian dollar and US dollar almost at par.

So a very long story short, we both have an equal right to complain about the gas prices.

You're right.