Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

You have 8 hours...

Lets say you have 8 hours to convert your best friend or closest family member from a DS9 hater into a DS9 fan. This person has only ever seen one or two episodes before and hated them. Lets say they saw "In The Hands Of The Prophets" (the season 1 closer) and "The Circle" which is part 2 of a 3 part arc. That's all they have seen and have refused to watch anymore.

Now they finally agree to give you a full 8 hours to convince them that DS9 is all that you say it is (this assumes that you are a DS9 fan yourself). What episodes do you show them to convince them and to hook them?

Eh, I'd just have them watch the pilot episode. That's how I get people to watch my favorite shows. That and I'd have them watch my 3 favorite 2-parters. Not sure which of DS9's 2-parters are my favorites as I only saw some of seasons 1-3 and most of seasons 4-7 first run only.

Wow, what a question! It depends on the person, of course. But...hm...in no particular order -

"The Wire"

"Distant Voices"

"Starship Down"

"The Ship"

"Our Man Bashir"

"The Seige of AR-558"

"In Purgatory's Shadow"/"Inferno's Light" (These are the two POW ones, right? It's late; I'm doubting myself....)

These leaves out some of my favorites, and doesn't include much of the later ones, but if I can hook them, they'll watch the others later with me!!

I'M GETTING SEASON FOUR IN THE MAIL THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!!

id make em watch "Emissary"...."The Jem'Hadar"...."Call To Arms"...."Tears Of The Prophets"...

theyll be converted because of the "edge-of-your-seat" factor!!!

Let's just say that if I had 8 hours to convert a friend or family member to a DS9 fan then I would let watch the Emissary, Our Man Bashir, Way of the Warrior(both parts),Rejoined,The House of Quark,Trails and Tribble-ations,Soldiers of the Empire,A Time to Stand and You are Cordially Invited. I would choose any of those as a means to win them over.

8 Hours of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Emissary

Way of the Warrior part one

Way of the Warrior part two

The House of Quark

Soldiers of the Empire

A Time to Stand

You are Cordially Invited

Our Man Bashir

END.

Emissary

The Wire

The Maquis (Part 1)

The Maquis (Part 2)

The House of Quark

Past Tense (Part 1)

Past Tense (Part 2)

The Adversary

Not really a big DS9 fan myself, but I would go with any episode that had Worf, Quark or Garak (my favourite from this series if you don't include Worf) in it.

I don't have many favourites from this series but I really like the episode were Worf and Garak are captured and are made to fight in a prison camp (sound a bit like a TOS plot, perhaps thats why I like it), the episode is called 'In Purgatory's Shadow' and is the best DS9 story in my opinion.

I'm not a great DS9 fan myself but I do agree with Transportermalfunction and that episode with Worf and Garak fighting in the prison camp.

I wouldn't show a bunch of random episodes. I would find some episodes that form an 8 hour arc from start to finish. That should be enough to hook the person. Perhaps the episodes when Dukat takes back DS9. That was an interesting time.

I would pick the first episodes from Season One. If they love the show by the 8th hour, continue with the first season.

Edited by Data

Lets say you have 8 hours to convert your best friend or closest family member from a DS9 hater into a DS9 fan. This person has only ever seen one or two episodes before and hated them. Lets say they saw "In The Hands Of The Prophets" (the season 1 closer) and "The Circle" which is part 2 of a 3 part arc. That's all they have seen and have refused to watch anymore.

Now they finally agree to give you a full 8 hours to convince them that DS9 is all that you say it is (this assumes that you are a DS9 fan yourself). What episodes do you show them to convince them and to hook them?

69204[/snapback]

I thought I'd revive this question.... You have another 8 hours...

Well, I guess I would show them all the best Jadzia episodes, which is all of them. Not including her last one but I will have to include that too unfortunately. I must have eight.

Dax

Invasive Procedures

Blood Oath

Equilibrium

Facets

Rejoined

You Are Cordially Invited...

Tears of the Prophets

I'll make a Jad... uh, DS9 lover out of them yet! I really should show these to someone...

I think it would depend on what they liked otherwise. Does this hypthetical friend love TOS, TNG, Voyager, and/or Enterprise? Or do they hate Star Trek altogether? Or just not care for it?

I agree with "Data", I would start them at Emissary and work forward, skipping any that I don't like, of course. If I wanted to hook someone, I'd want them to want to continue, and not have anything spoiled.

And as they're 45 minutes each, you can get more than 8 episodes in. 8 episodes is only 6 hours... if they gave me 8 hours only, that would be 10 episodes, but if they'd give me another 15 minutes, I could get an 11th one in there. :lol:

I give my answer from experience. I used to think DS9 was the weakest link in the Trek franchise. I'd seen maybe 3-6 episodes, scattered about, and I just couldn't identify with any of the characters. But then I started watching it, and 2-5 episodes in, I decided it was worth continuing. Now halfway through season 4 (and thus, halfway through the whole series) it's my favorite. Not just because I'm watching it now and it's exciting, but because it's a little deeper than Voyager and a lot deeper than TNG. This is the kind of story/series I like.

Making someone a Dax fan is no challenge... Jadzia rocks. Now try making someone a Rom fan, or a Jake fan. :frusty: They're just not as easy to like (IMHO) as Sisko, O'Brien, Bashir, Odo, or Quark. Kira and Nog are OK, but I like the previously named five plus Dax a lot better. And Dukat... the villain you love to hate.

Interesting answers, for this thread let's say that the person is a TNG fan or any of the other series but has always avoided DS9.

I think that for a casual Trek watcher that isn't used to an arc style series we'd have to bring them along slowly and not really get into the arcs just yet.

Here's what I think I'd do...

Emissary, Part I & II to introduce them to the cast.

Shadowplay to give them a good off station mystery and to get to know Odo a little

The Wire to introduce Garak and give some insite into him

The House of Quark To give insite into Quark and Rom

Second Skin as a good Cardassian/Kira episode

The Visitor as a good "tear jerker" and Jake/Ben episode

Little Green Men for it's comedy

Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places as a follow up to The House of Quark

Trials and Tribble-ations because it was a great episode

In the Cards because it's a great "feel good" and at times very funny episode.

That's one way I'd do it anyway, I'd have to go through the episodes again and see if there's another 8 hours that I'd pick out.

(And since I did say 8 hours you can use 11 episodes which is 8 hours and 15 minutes)

I turned my other half by letting him watch the last episode.

Then he wanted to see what had led up to that and I had him hooked.

8 Hours pffft

I turned my other half by letting him watch the last episode.

Then he wanted to see what had led up to that and I had him hooked.

8 Hours pffft

350905[/snapback]

But there's a difference between being curious and being hooked lol

Oh, I'd feel a little betrayed if someone showed me the last episode. I haven't seen "What You Leave Behind" but I would prefer to see it at its proper place in the series. It's sweeter that way.

@VBG - How about trading Second Skin for Indiscretion? Second Skin was a great episode, they both were, but I really liked seeing Kira change her mind, if only temporarily, about Cardassians and Dukat. They are very close, but I think I prefer Indiscretion.

Also Invasive Procedures or Facets (preferrably the latter) would be good as they really show you the Dax character, and how she is missing the whole symbiont or in the case of Facets, just the Curzon memories. And "Curzon Odo" was priceless. I hope they do a flashback episode where we see Curzon Dax in the flesh... they make him out to be so cool, like a super Han Solo, but other than in Facets, we haven't actually met him yet.

All you need is to be curious, you'll be hooked before long. I changed my profile to show Deep Space Nine, not Voyager, as my favorite series, and I mean it. Just about anything good people say about DS9 here is probably (if not for sure) true. :(

I had thought about adding Facets but being limited in the number of episodes I opted to go with some of the others. In fact there's a few in season 7 that I would have liked to add in there if I had a couple more episodes to spare.

"Take Me Out To The Holosuite" was a really fun episode and so was "Badda-Bing Badda-Bang". I also loved a few episodes that I watch whenever I have a "Nog-athon" and those are "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River", "The Siege of AR-558" and "It's Only a Paper Moon".

Great episodes in season 7, the strongest of all of the 7 seasons I think. But I left those episodes out because by the time someone watched the 11 episodes they would wind up watching the whole series and season 7 would be a great treat for them once they got to it.

In no particular order:

1- Far Beyond The Stars

2- Take Me Out To The Holosuite.

3- The Way Of The Warrior. (a two parter but I'm posting it anyway)

4- Duet

5- In The Pale Moonlight.

6- The Visitor.

7- Little Green Men.

8- Trials and Tribblelations.

9, 10, 11, 12, 13................ :(

Edited by HRH The KING

What got me hooked frombeing a DS9 Hater was watching more of the dominion Arch on Spike TV, DS( was always eh just waiting for TNG to come on, until I caught the Dominion war

In no particular order:

1- Far Beyond The Stars

2- Take Me Out To The Holosuite.

3- The Way Of The Warrior. (a two parter but I'm posting it anyway)

4- Duet

5- In The Pale Moonlight.

6- The Visitor.

7- Little Green Men.

8- Trials and Tribblelations.

9, 10, 11, 12, 13................  :(

351168[/snapback]

With 8 hours you can pick 11 episodes.

Also Invasive Procedures or Facets (preferrably the latter) would be good as they really show you the Dax character, and how she is missing the whole symbiont or in the case of Facets, just the Curzon memories.  And "Curzon Odo" was priceless.  I hope they do a flashback episode where we see Curzon Dax in the flesh... they make him out to be so cool, like a super Han Solo, but other than in Facets, we haven't actually met him yet.

351165[/snapback]

I always thought of Torias as the Han Solo type.

(And since I did say 8 hours you can use 11 episodes which is 8 hours and 15 minutes)

11 eh? I might as well add the cut episodes then...

Dax

Invasive Procedures

Playing God

Blood Oath

Equilibrium

Facets

Rejoined

The Sword of Kahless

Let He Who Is Without Sin...

You Are Cordially Invited...

Tears of the Prophets

I wish more people would take the "DS9 Challenge" and watch the series from beginning to end. If all Trek fans would do that the demand for a DS9 movie would be so great that TPTB couldn't ignore it.

I wish more people would take the "DS9 Challenge" and watch the series from beginning to end. If all Trek fans would do that the demand for a DS9 movie would be so great that TPTB couldn't ignore it.

351226[/snapback]

I agree. When DS9 was originally on, it was the red-headed step-child of Trek. It was constantly bashed and basically ignored by many fans. It is SO gratifying to finally see DS9 get the attention and respect it deserves.

351226[/snapback]

thanks to the wonders of kazaa/morpheous.. i completed teh DS9 Challenge and the Voyager Marathon back in 2000 in about 7 weeks each...(5 hours a day for 5 days a week = one season)

these days with tivo and spike it will take you 5 months ( 2 epid per day * 5 days * 2.5 weeks = one season )