Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

StarTrek.Com, shutting down?

Sorry about repeating my self, but the article wasn't referring to just the message boards, but to...

the entire STARTREK.COM site. :lol:

A few people have said they hope the site shuts down, but how many of us want the ENTIRE StarTrek.com site to go offline? There's a lot more to StarTrek.com than message boards, and I hope that at least the main site stays online. :)

If the message boards go offline, we could have lots of new people here. That'll be fun! :laugh: However, if the entire site goes offline, that'll be not fun. :)

I agree that the library for each series and the movies and news features are extremely valuable resources for all fans and their loss would be very great imo.

Now they plan a crappy movie to milk out the last possible drops of Kirk, Spock and the TOS legends. Then, when the movie fails (which it will do, believe me), Moonshine and his gang will take it as an excuse to definitely drop Trek.

I'm not surprised at all if this site dissapears and I have my fears about Pocket Books as well, due to the decreasing amount of products.

Compare that to Star Wars which is really thriving.

Star Trek is probably one of the worst examples of bad management. They have a wonderful phenomenon which have attracted and delighted fans for more than 40 years and become a legend, they have a dedicated and loyal fanbase and they totally screw up everything, missing all the opportunities. The way Star Trek is handled is nothing but an example of narrow-minded, greedy capitalistic stupidity in the worst possible way.

As for the startrek.com forum, I don't think I will miss that too much. It has been badly managed as well, at least the recent time and is now filled with trolls, instigators and dual posters who are creating havoc. But it's definitely a loss when an official forum goes down.

And don't forget that it is the OFFICIAL site which is close to being shut down. If that happens, what will remain are scattered "colonies", fansites with a limited amount of people without any contact with other sites and with small options to create opinion and show those in charge of what's left of Startrek what we think.

I agree there is value to an official site and for the opportunity to gather much of the fanbase together. However, there does seem to be a tendency to milk the fans for money - releasing the same material in different formats over and over then getting mad when there are legitimate questions over the way changes are made - for example the remastering of TOS with some of the tech people inserted into the background - a minor but troubling point for some. And some of the merchandise - for example the puppet show from the 2006 Vegas con - is not that wonderful. I agree that things like the 20th anniversary of TNG have been handled poorly with Star Trek leadership missing many opportunities. I think from a marketing standpoint Star Trek should definitely keep an official site operating. The value of their library resources is something all fans should fight to keep imo.

I will NOT miss startrek.com. It's a very good thing that it's shutting down.. well at least they should shut down the boards because nothing good goes on there.

BTW Everyone me and GhostofMajorHayes are BEST friends so if you mess with one of us you mess with BOTH of us... just a little warning for any migraters from startrek.com.

I'd rather we not encourage the formation of "cliques" here.

One problem with ST.Coms message boards was that such activity was not discouraged, it got to the point where only the cliques enjoyed themselves by always teaming up against those with ideas contrary to the Cliques. That in turn would cause growth of the Cliques as people who needed to be accepted joined in

them :laugh:

Worse, I never saw Admin do anything there to enforce any rules or if they did it was with the side of the Cliques. :lol:

One problem with ST.Coms message boards was that such activity was not discouraged, it got to the point where only the cliques enjoyed themselves by always teaming up against those with ideas contrary to the Cliques. That in turn would cause growth of the Cliques as people who needed to be accepted joined in

Worse, I never saw Admin do anything there to enforce any rules or if they did it was with the side of the Cliques. :lol:

I agree with you and I apologize for my earliar statement. All I am saying is that me and MajorHayes are very good friends.

I had to leave st.com becuase of continuely being harrassed there. It got to the point where I never even wanted to visit that site even if I didn't go to the boards. If the whole site isn't shut down then at least the boards should be because nothing creative goes on there.

Our Admins and Moderators are strict around and here and I know they won't tolerate the type of nonsense that was over there.

For the benefit of all! :laugh:

but we still have fun

That's why I said benefit of all. So we can have fun without the nonsense! :laugh: :)

I thank the wise guy! :lol:

When is this thing supposed to happen with StarTrek.com? I was just there and people are still posting.

I agree with you and I apologize for my earliar statement. All I am saying is that me and MajorHayes are very good friends.

I had to leave st.com becuase of continuely being harrassed there. It got to the point where I never even wanted to visit that site even if I didn't go to the boards. If the whole site isn't shut down then at least the boards should be because nothing creative goes on there.

Yes, I'm in the same situation, being co9nstantly harrassed by a certain Mobon that forum for liking the wrong character.

Just go to the Voyager forum and look up everything realted to the character Kes and you'll see what I mean.

It's sad that the official forum is going down but I won't be missing it as the situation has been there the recent time.

Reading all of these horror stories about StarTrek.com makes me really appreciate this site and all the people here!... :laugh:

I'm really sad that it is in jeoprady.

st.com was the very first site I went to when I got a computer and the first messageboard I ever joined.

but really I don't think it will truly be gone I think it may be revamped for the new movie. And I also hope that we will not lose the archives. They are a great resource

I have also heard that cbs has been doing a lot of layoffs all accross the board. So I dont' think that this is directed at star trek in any way.

on startrek.com website The Founder has written yesterday:

"CBS dumped the design team that has been working on this site. At this point it is unclear whether or not they intend to have their own design team work on the site, appoint a new design team or dump the site altogether. "

:laugh:

Yes, I'm in the same situation, being co9nstantly harrassed by a certain Mobon that forum for liking the wrong character.

Just go to the Voyager forum and look up everything realted to the character Kes and you'll see what I mean.

It's sad that the official forum is going down but I won't be missing it as the situation has been there the recent time.

First of all, that is not the reason that flame war is going on.

Secondly, please don't bring that drama over here in any way, shape, or form. This site is a calm port in a storm, and I'd like to see it continue being that.

Here's what I found at ST.C a few minutes ago when I clicked on the "Goodbye from the..." link.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news...le/2316633.html

Keep the conversation going on StarTrek.com boards

CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online.

CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site.

It has been your support and contributions to the lore of Star Trek that are what make StarTrek.com a vibrant place to be. To that end, we encourage you to keep the conversation alive and flowing using our message boards.

Jump into the conversation here!

Maybe they got a few emails. :laugh:

See. I knew it! They just got rid of that no good production team that took away the "Lounge"... :laugh:

Edited by Kor Kringle

I saw a teory about the staff being fired because of their support for the striking writers. There was a photo and some comment about the strike on the front page some days ago. Unfortunately I never clicked on that link.

But that can be a reason for the firings. You don't mess with the mighty bosses!

Edited by Lynx

Not only is the site not shutting down, but the message boards will also continue to function.

So, all of this was for nothing.

Wow, this is a surprise to say the least. As many of you know I've been absent a lot for about 2 years, kind of in and out as life has taken me away from the internet.

If ST.COM is gone for good we here at STF will have to try to pick up some of the slack and devote some time to adding new features that will be lost at ST.COM.

For all the bad things people have to say about the st.com boards, I wonder, when was the last time any of you spent any time there?

I never spent any time on the boards there but I spent every day in the "Lounge". When they shut that down I boycotted that site and never went back.

For all the bad things people have to say about the st.com boards, I wonder, when was the last time any of you spent any time there?

I'm sure everyone who spends any amount of time there has bad things to say about it.

For the record, I'm there quite a lot. I have almost 21,000 posts there, and have been a regular for just about three years. The longest I've gone with not being there has been about a month.

Is the entire site shutting down or just their boards?

Nothing is shutting down,VGB. All they did was get rid of the current production crew. They posted the explanation on the site yesterday. The site and the message boards will remain open. They are just replacing the production crew.

Thankfully enough people cared about the site to send in emails showing their support..

I think that played a part in that decision, as I noticed they finally listed that response today after several days of questions about the situation. Long story short, I got quite a few replies and inquiries after sending some mass emails in an "article" form--from what I gather there was NO standing plan at CBS it was all up in the air. The last two days they have been questioned by several news sites as well so there was definitely the "Star Trek Fan" action taking part in their sudden "fan support" response. Personally, I was amazed with how many replies I received after my emails, and I wonder how many fans did the same before CBS realized they cant just treat Trek fans like any other group, and they'd better let people know what was going on? For example, just myself, this is who I sent those notices and articles to starting Saturday morning:

editor@startrek.com, williamschwartz@cwt.com, evening@cbsnews.com, ajh@cbsnews.com, dandelman@louriecutler.com, info@gatesfoundation.org, nonmanagementdirectors@viacom.com, scams@cbsnews.com, weekend@cbsnews.com, ps@paramountstudios.com.au, 2020@abc.com, netaudr@abc.com, editor@bhweekly.com, info@cnbc.com, cnn.feedback@cnn.com, dateline@nbc.com, VincentP@abc.com, comments@foxnews.com, letters@latimes.com, ombudsman@npr.org, today@nbc.com, FanMail@WilliamShatner.com, Press@WilliamShatner.com, Webmaster@WilliamShatner.com, SFI@WilliamShatner.com, totallykate@yahoogroups.com, o'reilly@foxnews.com, nightly@nbc.com, nytnews@nytimes.com, letters@newsweek.com, niteline@abc.com, letters@usnews.com, letters@time.com, editor@usatoday.com, editors@interactive.wsj.com, ombudsman@washpost.com, LetterToEditor@buffnews.com, wivbweb@wivb.com, news@wgrz.com, news@wkbw.com, et@pde.paramount.com, jobs@tmz123.com, OReilly@foxnews.com, comments@mclaughlingroup.com, liaison@radio-canada.ca, auditoire@radio-canada.ca, communications@ottawa.radio-canada.ca, mexico@mexconnect.com, online.editor@timesonline.co.uk, news@timesonline.co.uk, business@timesonline.co.uk,

As I said, I received several replies and inquires (not just the automated ones of course, lol!) about the situation. In the first few rounds of emails I made sure to mention the fact that Trek fans were suddenly locked out, and that they were angry about the Trek employees being fired right before Christmas over what appeared to be "corporate downsizing." Add to that, my friends and family being peeved about the situation as well and following suit, plus other fans upset with how that was handled, and Im sure you get the picture how this was perceived on both ends. Likewise, from some of the replies I received it sounds like CBS might just be doing a CYA with that latest post, and once again these corporate giants simply underestimated how much Star Trek fans will put up with! Long Live Trek Fans & their ability to unite!!!

Edited by Horatiohornblower