Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Woman charged for swearing at toilet overflow

Woman charged for disturbing the peace for yelling obscenities at overflowing toilet.

foxnews

SCRANTON, Pa. — A woman who allegedly shouted profanities at her overflowing toilet within earshot of a neighbor was cited for disorderly conduct, authorities said.

Dawn Herb could face up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $300 (euro212).

"It doesn't make any sense. I was in my house. It's not like I was outside or drunk," Herb told The Times-Tribune of Scranton. "The toilet was overflowing and leaking down into the kitchen and I was yelling (for my daughter) to get the mop."

The article says she doesnt remember exactly what words she used - I know what situation appropriate word I would use.

However, I would turn off the water valve rather than stand there and swear

I agree about the turnoff valve.

Obviously this woman was upset by the situation and possibly the lack of help from her daughter.

She probably should have shut the window too.

However this cop seems overzealous.

Was her neighbor really disturbing the peace or just annoying this one person who had the authority to issue a ticket?

What will this cop's next move be, writing littering tickets to her neighbors who throw down a napkin in their yard after a cookout?

IMO this is ridiculous and the ticket should be thrown out.

Edited by trekz

Ridiculous.

When I have to listen to profanity-laced, misogynistic hip-hop all day long (whether blaring from the cars that pass me, or vibrating through the windows of my neighbor's house) and nothing can be done about it, but a woman can be fined for swearing at a toilet, something is seriously wrong.

Foolishness.

I've had toilets overflow before, used bad language during the mini-crisis and have never been locked up for it.

I know this may seem like a strange concept to younger viewers, but there used to be something called civility. People would refrain from activities that were likely to upset their neighbors. In exchange for this, people were also willing to disregard an occasional weekend party or BBQ or something like getting angry over an overflowing toilet. You understood that it was better to forgive your neighbor for a minor wrongdoing in exchange for them forgiving you for yours.

Some time later, however, we lost our common sense and started calling the cops over trivial things that we used to resolve by going next door and actually *talking* to your neighbors.

I know this may seem like a strange concept to younger viewers, but there used to be something called civility. People would refrain from activities that were likely to upset their neighbors. In exchange for this, people were also willing to disregard an occasional weekend party or BBQ or something like getting angry over an overflowing toilet. You understood that it was better to forgive your neighbor for a minor wrongdoing in exchange for them forgiving you for yours.

Some time later, however, we lost our common sense and started calling the cops over trivial things that we used to resolve by going next door and actually *talking* to your neighbors.

Excellent point, Van Roy! You've definitely hit the nail on the head. A lack of civility plus a feeling of entitlement, as in "I'm entitled to do whatever I want to do" has really effected everyday life imo.

In addition, the tendency to complain or sue over various problems has reached new heights. A friend of mine has been ivolved in a dispute over a loud air conditiner for over 2 years. The court system hasn't helped either, but a lack of willingness to compromise is also a growing problem in our socirty imo

Civility is a concept that is rapidly disappearing. The loss of civility will be pointed to as one of the key factors in the inevitable downfall of the United States or even humanity itself.

Yep - here it is - Kor even responded :laugh:

Yep...you are absolutely right! I wonder why this story appeared just yesterday on AOL news though? They must be REALLY behind !