Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The best era to live in?

Do you think that the era of TOS was a golden age, free of war and annoyance that would have been great to live in? I mean, in Enterprise we ahve the Xindi and Suliban, TNG the Borg, DS9/VOY the Dominion, etc etc. But in TOS it seemed more like a big trek through the galaxy. Not as dramatic but.... nice! It even looked more cheery.

I don't think it was all that free of violence-- Klingon, Romulan, what-have-you-- those were still there. My favorite era would have to be VOY, however, just because that's my favorite show. All of the eras have about equal attractions for me.

I think I would prefer the TOS era. It was past the beginnings of space exploration, so had considerably more advanced technology such as shields and weapons, but had less restraints. You could get away with 'cowboy diplomacy' and 'seat of the pants' tactics.

Stardate:213641.9

Im going to have to go with the consenus on this one.The TOS era for me as well

You say TNG was a bad era because of the Borg. There was really only one bad incident with the Borg at Wolf 359. Other than that, Picard rarely was in battle. But I agree TOS seemed like a rather peacefull time. DS9 is by far the worst time. The Dominion wars killed many people from many planets. I would not want to be around for that war.

The era I would live in would have to be the TNG era. I know that there are the Borg, the Romulans, The Cardassians, and a few Terrorists, but I would have total confidance in the Federation and Starfleet to protect the people of the Federation.

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

Hmmm interesting, yeah the OS era could be called a golden era by comparison but they sure had a lot of "monsters" :dude: If I lived on the Ent of that time I probably would have been having nightmares all the time. I choose TOS.

Right. The TOS time seems more relax...

TNG seems good too, but if followed so closely by DS9...

And Enterprise was too much at the beginning for me :-)

I would prefer to live in the wild and woolly,"old west" atmosphere of the TOS era.

I'd prefer TNG's technology,but there's something appealing about TOS.... :dude:

:clap:

Well......I am going to have to buck the trend. TOS was my favorite series, hands down.

But I would like to live in the era of First Contact, assuming that I would survive the war, the very last human world war, and move to Montana. I would want to be in that audience that watches the Vulcans land, and watches Cochran greet them. And then I would like to live to very old age to see mankind no longer killing one another for real ... that it actually lasted. I would have retired from helping to found Star Fleet, knowing from Lily's stories that we had a future. And I would not be upset with the Vulcans for being overprotective....I would just not let them stop me...like Archer and company!

Who wouldn't want to live in the TOS era?I would.For all of the reasons everybody else on this thread has for choosing TOS.I wouldn't necessarily mind living in other Trek-era's,but TOS is my favorite.Mostly because I think the women from TOS were a lot classier and sexier than those of the other era's.Also,the Starfleet uniforms were awesome (and,naturally,I would be an officer!). :blink:

I would have to go with the "Enterprise" era. In TOS and TNG, they don't do enough exploration (they tend to stay within Federation space). In "Enterprise", it is all exploration. It is venturing into the unknown that intrigues me.

Enterprise.Everything is just beginning for humanity as a species capable of interstellar travel.It must be a lot like America just after or before the Louisiana Purchase.I'd love to be among the vanguard of explorers,creating inroads into the dark unknown in the 22rd-century.

I would have to go with the "Enterprise" era. In TOS and TNG, they don't do enough exploration (they tend to stay within Federation space). In "Enterprise", it is all exploration. It is venturing into the unknown that intrigues me.

The original series was all about space exploration, nearly every single episode delt with some unknown planet or life-force. And yes, I would prefer the TOS era, free and easy, lots of time for exploration.

The TOS era was far from an era of peace and enlightenment.We (by 'we' I mean the Federation :klingon: )had problems with the Gorn,Klingon privateer raids,the Orions,the Planet Killer,and many,many other threats.Of course,we only hear of many of these in the novels,which are not sanctioned as "official",but I think they provide a fairly accurate picture,for the most part,of the types of difficulties the Federation faced in the perod between Captain Pike's missions and the launch of the Enterprise-B on Star Trek Generations.

Still,the TOS era was certainly a romantic age to live in.Which is why I am torn,between voting for TOS and the era of Enterprise.I love them both,for many of the same reasons.Chiefmost being,that the universe was a smaller,less well known place then.A starship and her crew were constantly encountering strange new situations and had nothing more to go on when dealing with those situations than their wits and intuition.

Ultimately,I'll chose Enterprise.I love the series.I love the uniforms,the NX-class ship,and the characters...who seem more like myself,than the characters of any other series.I can relate to Trip,and Reed,and Archer.