Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Paparazzi greet Beckhams' L.A. arrival

My guess is that they will receive some attention at first then quickly slip into obscurity. Absolutely nobody is going to follow his soccer career here in the States.

Actually, he'll be on the front page a lot. He and the Mrs. will be at all of the cool social events and parties. Their mugs will be plastered all over the place.

And you watch. Soccer will grow in popularity with his arrival. Just like it did when Pele came here in the 70's.

Let's just hope that if the Mrs. is on front pages, it's because of him, and not because of the pending atrocity that is the Spice Girls reunion.

Oh, an I still doubt this will really help Americans care any further about soccer.

Actually, he'll be on the front page a lot. He and the Mrs. will be at all of the cool social events and parties. Their mugs will be plastered all over the place.

And you watch. Soccer will grow in popularity with his arrival. Just like it did when Pele came here in the 70's.

Yeah.....how are those New York Cosmos doing these days?......Oh..right.....the entire league folded within 3 years of Pele's arrival........ :biggrin:

I'm a fan of soccer. I played it throughout High School and I grew up with it as my uncle was a semi-pro player and my father was and still is a rabid fan and used to take me to all the games. But the outdoor game will never catch on in the US. Its a game of skill and its very subtle. The US wants a lot of scoring and the outdoor game just doesn't do it.

Posh will be the celebrity everyone will be following. Notice how most of the news coverage is about her and very little about Beckham. Her being a close gal pal of Katie Holmes doesn't hurt either.

I remember that they thought that Pele was going to be the savior of the league, but the fervor quickly wore off and the league died a quick death.

I never really got into soccer because I never understood the rules. It's on ESPN and FSN a lot, but I just don't watch it.

Not when there's Trek on somewhere... :biggrin:

Soccer/football is actually one of the simplest sports to understand. The basic rules are few in number. The Cosmos/Pele example I believe is false. The old NASL collapsed because it expanded too quickly and far too many washed-up players jumped on the bandwagon. The MLS is growing slowly but surely. Soccer in the United States is being developed at the grassroots, building a steady fanbase and a careful eye must always be placed on making certain that native players are not pushed out of the game by expensive imports long past their best

I strongly doult football (soccer) will reach the leaves that is in Europe and rest of the world.

The only reason why Beckham is playing in the MLS is because the european leagues didn't want him anymore. He is too old. He is treating the MLS as the retirement community for the older players. I see this a publicity stunt more than anything. I do have to disclose that I am still bitter about the Earthquakes leaving San Jose. And I hate the LA galaxy because of the normal NorCal SoCal rivalry.

The only reason why Beckham is playing in the MLS is because the european leagues didn't want him anymore. He is too old. He is treating the MLS as the retirement community for the older players. I see this a publicity stunt more than anything. I do have to disclose that I am still bitter about the Earthquakes leaving San Jose. And I hate the LA galaxy because of the normal NorCal SoCal rivalry.

How old is he?

His club Real Madrid did in fact want him. One of the reasons they sacked their manager Fabio Capello was because they blamed him in part for Beckham leaving the club. On June 10th the Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon revealed that the club wanted him to stay. If Real Madrid could have kept Beckham, they almost certainly would have done so. As for being "too old" Beckham is only 32 years of age. Around the same age as Manchester United's midfielders Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs who are widely regarded as still two of the best players in the Premiership. His move to LA Galaxy has little to do with "retirement" but more as a lucrative boost for both Beckham's personal finances and the LA Galaxy and MLS too. He is the "marquee player" at LA Galaxy, like the Australian A-League, where each team is permitted one big name player who exceeds the wage cap. A superstar player who can still make a valuable contribution on the pitch is essential for a developing league like the MLS.

I agree with Odie. Even if any American team actually becomes a serious contender in the world scene of soccer, it'll become as big as basketball or NFL style football only when Spanish becomes the official language of the United States.

Not trying to be political, but that seems to be where a lot of the push for soccer in America is coming from.

I doubt anyone has any expectations of soccer becoming as big as basketball or gridiron. As for America becoming a serious contender in the world of soccer, that will only come when the United States through its national team and clubs compete against the stronger nations and clubs of South America. Regular participation in the Copa America and the Copa Libertadores would be a wise decision and would beneficial in the long term.

America has been in Copa America for a very long time. The games got little coverage from the media. Interesting not: America has beat Mexico for many years, but unable to compete in South America. While Mexico is very competitive in South America.

The last World Cup no one in America really cared if they where in it and how they played during torment. The games where poorly covered in the states.

America has been in Copa America for a very long time. The games got little coverage from the media. Interesting not: America has beat Mexico for many years, but unable to compete in South America. While Mexico is very competitive in South America.

The last World Cup no one in America really cared if they where in it and how they played during torment. The games where poorly covered in the states.

And yet ESPN had the Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament on yesterday. And that probably drew more viewers than MLS or World Cup did. :biggrin:

We have Simon Hill commentating for us. hes really good.

Beckham has already made a dint in the purchase price that Galaxy paid for him. They already sold 250,000 shirts with his name and number on the back. These shirts haven't even been copied off something he has actually worn in a game. Thinking that these shirts go for about $120 each then thats a big chunk out of the purchase price. (becks that is)

Lady Britannia, you sound like a united fan. The two forwards you mentioned are both united players. They are most definitely the GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD!!!

Though I do firmly believe that Beckham has sold out and should have stayed with Real Madrid, I am starting to think that maybe this is not such a bad idea. About two years ago Australia decided to create an A-League. We paid Dwight York to come and raise the profile of the league. He left last year and due to our relative success at the World Cup (we were knocked out by the eventual world champions, the Diving Italians) the A-League is thriving.

I'm sure this is somewhat on topic. So let me sum this up, Beckham = money gubbing + Great footballer + High profile Footballer's Wife = eventual raising of profile of American Football (the Good Kind)

Edited by jadziaezri

I'm sure this is somewhat on topic. So let me sum this up, Beckham = money gubbing + Great footballer + High profile Footballer's Wife = eventual raising of profile of American Football (the Good Kind)

Thanks, but we already have a high profile of gridiron football. We don't need a soccer player reminding us how sweet the Superbowl is.

Hey, you did say the GOOD kind.

My posts in BOLD

Quotes in Italics.

"Odie"

America has been in Copa America for a very long time. The games got little coverage from the media.

The United States has only participated in three.

1993, 1995 and 2007. The first two were too early in the modern history of U.S. soccer/football to attract any attention in America I'm sure.

Interesting not: America has beat Mexico for many years, but unable to compete in South America. While Mexico is very competitive in South America

Mexico is competitive in South America because they take part more regularly in the Copa America. They have participated in the 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, and finished third place in 2007

Soccer/football is very much a work in progress in the United States. No one doubts that.

"jadziaezri"

Lady Britannia, you sound like a united fan.

I support no football team.

The two forwards you mentioned are both united players. They are most definitely the GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD!!!

Depends what criteria you base that opinion upon.

Though I do firmly believe that Beckham has sold out and should have stayed with Real Madrid, I am starting to think that maybe this is not such a bad idea.

He's getting enormous amounts of money to do what he loves to do, that being play football, so I'm not certain why that means he has "sold out". From what I understand he wanted to stay but Real Madrid with its notoriously unstable and fickle management structure delayed offered him a new contract and he made a decision to go. It was only after that that Real Madrid realised their mistake. By then it was too late.

About two years ago Australia decided to create an A-League. We paid Dwight York to come and raise the profile of the league. He left last year and due to our relative success at the World Cup (we were knocked out by the eventual world champions, the Diving Italians) the A-League is thriving.

Yes, I understand that the A-League is doing well. That is very good news, especially for a sporting nation such as Australia who are very much starting to be taken seriously as a footballing nation now. As for the World Cup, Australia's treatment was a travesty. They were essentially cheated out of the World Cup in that match and the absurd penalty awarded in the last minute.

Edited by Lady Britannia

The United States has only participated in three.

1993, 1995 and 2007. The first two were too early in the modern history of U.S. soccer/football to attract any attention in America I'm sure.

For United States that is awhile. Plus North America and South America have played against each outside Copa America for awhile. United States has no problems playing against Mexico, but when it comes South American countries they still struggle. It really does not matter how long they play in Copa they games do not get media attention.

Mexico is competitive in South America because they take part more regularly in the Copa America. They have participated in the 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, and finished third place in 2007

They have playing against each other longer than 1993, and so has United States.

Soccer/football is very much a work in progress in the United States. No one doubts that.

Soccer/football has been working progress for the last 94 years.

90 Years of U.S. Soccer

Originally founded in 1913 as the United States Football Association, U.S. Soccer was one of the world’s first organizations to be affiliated with FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, and has grown into one of the sport’s organizational leaders, integrating player participation and player development into arguably the world’s most successful top-to-bottom National Team program.

As part of the evidence, U.S. Soccer’s National Team programs qualified for 19 consecutive FIFA outdoor world championships before the Under-23 national team missed out on the Olympics in 2004.

"There is no question that U.S. Soccer has come a long way," said U.S. Soccer President Dr. S. Robert Contiguglia, who was re-elected to a second four-year term in 2002. "The sport has grown considerably in the United States and we thought it was appropriate to honor the pioneers on the field. Ultimately, the goal of our 90-year anniversary plans is to highlight the players and coaches who have been so influential, while showcasing the framework that has been created to provide more resources for the sport to continue to grow into the future."

Part of that “framework” was unveiled in 2003 when U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center opened at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. After 90 years of nurturing player participation and player development, U.S. Soccer’s player development initiatives finally have a home of their own in the $130 million facility, which includes a stadium for Major League Soccer’s Los Angeles Galaxy.

Soccer/football never will be popular in the United States. The last 94 years proved it.

Edited by Odie

Thanks, but we already have a high profile of gridiron football. We don't need a soccer player reminding us how sweet the Superbowl is.

Hey, if you can call that football... Wait, when do they use their feet to control the ball???? :biggrin:

"Odie"

For United States that is awhile.

In football terms, it is nothing.

Plus North America and South America have played against each outside Copa America for awhile. United States has no problems playing against Mexico, but when it comes South American countries they still struggle.

They have playing against each other longer than 1993, and so has United States.

Playing outside the Copa America means that they play outside a competitive environment, since the United States and Mexico tend to sail through their qualifying campaigns in the World Cup due to the fact they are part of CONCACAF. That's why the United States struggles against the far stronger CONMEBOL nations. Friendly matches outside a tournament between the United States and Mexico are generally meaningless in comparison to serious competitive matches.

It really does not matter how long they play in Copa they games do not get media attention.

Regular participation in the Copa America will lead to improved performances. When the team starts getting better, they will probably get more media attention. It's a slow process. No one ever claimed it would be quick or easy.

Soccer/football has been working progress for the last 94 years.

Soccer/football never will be popular in the United States. The last 94 years proved it.

It actually proves that there is an element in American sporting society throughout history that IS in fact interested in football. If Americans seriously rejected football, they would not keep trying to resurrect it over and over again. From 1884 to the present day (minus the MLS) there have been at least nineteen organised leagues in the United States which is amazing considering that football in the United States is in an already competitive sporting market and is outside mainstream culture. I don't see the problem with trying to encourage football in America. If it doesn't work, then it's not a big loss since football can survive without America. If it DOES work, then that's good, I hope it does work.

I don't know about professional (grown-up) soccer but it has become very popular for children in county sports leagues (yes, I have been to several games).

Do high school teams compete in soccer - I don't think it will ever become "popular" unless it becomes part of the high school ritual.

In football terms, it is nothing.

I only said just for United States. I did not state in football terms.

Playing outside the Copa America means that they play outside a competitive environment, since the United States and Mexico tend to sail through their qualifying campaigns in the World Cup due to the fact they are part of CONCACAF. That's why the United States struggles against the far stronger CONMEBOL nations. Friendly matches outside a tournament between the United States and Mexico are generally meaningless in comparison to serious competitive matches.

No, there is Pan-American Games that is held every four years since 1959. Pan-American Games

Regular participation in the Copa America will lead to improved performances. When the team starts getting better, they will probably get more media attention. It's a slow process. No one ever claimed it would be quick or easy.

They have been to every match in the Pan-Am games with little media attention since 1959.

It actually proves that there is an element in American sporting society throughout history that IS in fact interested in football. If Americans seriously rejected football, they would not keep trying to resurrect it over and over again.

I never said reject. I only said it will not be popular like it is in Europe and rest of North and South America. The fact that has resurrect over and over again does speck of lack of support from most American population.

From 1884 to the present day (minus the MLS) there have been at least nineteen organised leagues in the United States which is amazing considering that football in the United States is in an already competitive sporting market and is outside mainstream culture.

The rest of the mainstream sports in America has never organized themselves into nineteen different leagues. It is not really amazing, because it tells me of failure of the rest of 18.

I don't see the problem with trying to encourage football in America. If it doesn't work, then it's not a big loss since football can survive without America. If it DOES work, then that's good, I hope it does work.

There is no problem with encouraging football in United States. I have no problem what so ever. Football has very much survived with United States and will so in the future. I do not see in the future football taking hold in United States like in Europe and the rest North and South America. The games receive little coverage from the media, and most game is looked down upon when compare to other mainstream games in United States.

"Odie"

I only said just for United States. I did not state in football terms.

Yes, but it's important to place things in a wider context.

No, there is Pan-American Games that is held every four years since 1959. Pan-American Games

They have been to every match in the Pan-Am games with little media attention since 1959.

They still wouldn't be necessarily playing against the best, since many top teams simply enter their Under-20 and Under-23 teams in that tournament, although it is at least a positive step. They need to test themselves against stronger opposition though, because at the 2006 World Cup in particular, they were average at best, which is disappointing because at the 2002 World Cup they were excellent and were only eliminated by losing narrowly to the eventual finalists Germany.

I never said reject. I only said it will not be popular like it is in Europe and rest of North and South America.

I don't believe anyone has seriously suggested it will be.

The fact that has resurrect over and over again does speck of lack of support from most American population.

There is no problem with encouraging football in United States. I have no problem what so ever. Football has very much survived with United States and will so in the future. I do not see in the future football taking hold in United States like in Europe and the rest North and South America. The games receive little coverage from the media, and most game is looked down upon when compare to other mainstream games in United States.

Again, I doubt anyone would think football would be accepted by the mainstream. It will be a niche sport at the most. That's where it needs to market itself. I understand it's played among children when they are younger, but they drift away when in their teen years, so that is where the grassroot effort needs to be made and a strong college system needs development too. The best thing IMO for the Beckhams to do is to go on Oprah and get Oprah to encourage her viewership (women, mothers in particular) to let their children play soccer. She should give the studio audience that day free football kits ("uniforms"), balls, nets etc...

The rest of the mainstream sports in America has never organized themselves into nineteen different leagues. It is not really amazing, because it tells me of failure of the rest of 18.

What's amazing is the fact that the game cannot be killed in America. It keeps coming back again and again. That impresses me. Dogged determination from America's football fans. I admire that.

Hey, if you can call that football... Wait, when do they use their feet to control the ball???? :biggrin:

When they kick it right down the refs' throats! Assess a flag to that and choke on it!