Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Wendy's Manager Shot Over Chili Sauce

Wendy's Manager Shot Over Chili Sauce

AP

MIAMI (May 29) - A manager at a fast-food restaurant was shot several times in the arm early Tuesday trying to protect the chili sauce, authorities said.

A man in the Wendy's drive-through argued with an employee because he wanted more of the condiment, police said. The worker told the customer that restaurant policy prohibited a customer from getting more than three packets.

The man insisted on 10, reports said. The employee complied, but police said the customer wanted even more.

The manager came out to speak to the man, said Miami-Dade police spokesman Mary Walter. The customer then shot the manager, who was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The customer fled in his vehicle with a female passenger, authorities said.

How ridiculous to make that big a deal over chili sauce. I'm talking about both the manager and the gunman.

I agree with Kor on this one. If the guy wanted 10 packets, just give them to him! Who cares????? Is it worth getting shot over it???? Of course not.

How could anyone reasonably expect someone to shoot them over chili sauce? I don't think the manager should be accountable for upholding policy. Now if someone said - give me the packets or I'll shoot I'd be like "would you like fries with that?"

I know the reason they limit how many they give out - they're expensive and if you give away too many you really don't make any profit.

The article also mentioned a female passenger - this is when I wonder why women date some men.

Maybe the female passenger likes her men on the dangerous side?

Seems stupid to me, but some women are like that.

I'm on the side of the manager. I've worked in fast food service, and lemme tell you, customers will rob you blind if you let them. People who want four packets of sauce for a small order of chicken nuggets are ridiculous. No, you CAN'T have free sauce for your fries! You can have ketchup and salt, but not ranch. You want it? You pay a surcharge for it. That crap's relatively expensive, and each store is responsible for their own inventory. Corporate centers will NOT dig into deep pockets to help out a store that's struggling. The article doesn't even say if the manager gave the chance for this customer to actually buy a few more packets, but I imagine that would be standard procedure. No reason to be that pigheadedly selfish.

Ten-to-one says this (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) also tried to order a "large water, with no ice."

I'm on the side of the manager. I've worked in fast food service, and lemme tell you, customers will rob you blind if you let them. People who want four packets of sauce for a small order of chicken nuggets are ridiculous. No, you CAN'T have free sauce for your fries! You can have ketchup and salt, but not ranch. You want it? You pay a surcharge for it. That crap's relatively expensive, and each store is responsible for their own inventory. Corporate centers will NOT dig into deep pockets to help out a store that's struggling. The article doesn't even say if the manager gave the chance for this customer to actually buy a few more packets, but I imagine that would be standard procedure. No reason to be that pigheadedly selfish.

Ten-to-one says this (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) also tried to order a "large water, with no ice."

I am WHOLEHEARTEDLY on the side of the manager! And COMPLETELY agree with you on what you just said here! NO you can't have sauce by the handful, and like UH said it IS because those boxes are expensive. Yes, I have worked drive thru in fast food so believe me I know this stuff. I have had people get out of their cars and lean into my window to get in my face because I had to charge them for a medium water. It is just 25 cents people, chill the heck out! Do THEY want to pay the price for a case of medium cups? Noooooooooo, they want everything handed to them on a pretty silver platter. I don't know how much you guys are charging for the sauce packets, but we sold them for 27 cents.

Heck, the owner of our store got onto me about putting ketchup, salt and pepper into bags before handing them out. I would put a couple packets of each into a customer's bag before they reached the window(when I was working that position as a break from my order taker/cashier position). Do you all know that a standard small fast food joint loses about $1200 a month just on ketchup, salt and pepper alone if they are putting it in EVERY bag regardless of whether or not a customer asks for it? It is true, I put that stuff in the bag because after all that would be what majority would ask for... and I got a lecture because I was doing that. Sooooooo, you guys want Ketchup, Salt or pepper in your bag???? Ask for it, because it is NOT going to be there unless you do. Same with sauces, at lunch (or breakfast where applicable) we ask you if you want sauces with your CHICKEN ITEMS. Yes, I emphasize CHICKEN like youbroughtheryouRiker. When I could eat fried foods, I would have a small half full bag of fries (AKA a 1/2 order of fries) that I would get for myself. You could not request the bag filled half way, but since I was behind the counter I could do that for myself. I would get one thing of sweet & sour sauce. I, an EMPLOYEE, could show you my receipt that said 1 small fry, 1 parfait, 1 Extra Sauce. The Extra Sauce was the indication of a 27 cent charge to get a sauce.

Sauce wise... you can have ONE w/o charge for a 4 piece nugget, 2 for a 6 piece, and three for a 10 piece. And sorry, but a customer cannot be given a HANDFUL or TWO of cream, sugar/Equal/Splenda. Either tell us how many EXACTLY you want in it or how many to put in the bag. And to the one customer who tried to get smart with me and tell me he wanted 5000 creams and sugars and a little umbrella in his coffee. With a HUGE amount of sarcasm dripping in his voice, you cannot have our 4lb bags of sugar in your SMALL coffee those bags are used in making the sweet tea.

NO, you canNOT get water instead of soda in a combo unless you pay for it as if it was a medium or large soda! The sodas are included in the price, you can either buy a bottled water or pretend your water is a soda and just pay that price. Throwing a little hissy fit over it just makes the customer look like a complete idiot. And I would make sure the little hissy fit was recorded! I back up so that the security cameras have a perfect shot of the person being obnoxious. I also keep my finger on the "talk" button on the headset. So that the managers hear what is being accused at the window. then they wonder why a manager pops in, explains EXACTLY what I just finished telling them and often asks them to "calm down or leave".

NO a customer can't have a soda poured by the AUTOMATIC dispenser and then have us dig a styrofoam TEA cup out and pour the purchased drink into the UNpurchased cup. Uuuuuuuunnnnnnnlllllllleeeeeeesssssss, a customer want to pay for BOTH glasses. Then we can let them get away with that.

Oh, and while I am getting to rant. NO no matter what person offered what. You CANNOT get discounts on anything other than Senior SMALLLLLLLLLLLLL drinks, or if for any reason your order was not correct and you call in AND have your receipt. But NO other reason, and employees need not ask in the drive thru for their discount meals because they WILL NOT GET THEM. You have to be in full uniform and ON duty to get your employee rate. NO they are not allowed to buy for their family & friends either. Heaven knows they have tried. Digging through trash cans to grab a random receipt to get free food does NOT work either. We look at the condition of the receipt, the date on it, which register it came off of... so customers throwing a hissy cant get away with that either. :look:

I am pretty darned sure the Manager was following their store's proceedure to the utmost. And I APPLAUD them for that! There are a few :laugh: that buckle because they want to seem "nice" to customers well guess what? You just make them think "He/She is a HUGE pushover wallflower, we can DEFINITELY get free stuff off of them!" Don't believe that is the case? I know some of these types personally, and when you tell the customers NO they can't they usually can immediately peg it on that specific wallflower and often scream a huge amount of obscenities. They also occasionally will blurt out, "Oh ******* **** now how are we supposed to get this stuff, MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!" then screech off.

I hope that the manager in the article made/makes a full and speedy recovery, and I once again applaud them for NOT going against POLICY that is set in STONE by the owner/franchise.

Sorry for the ranting, but it is relatively on topic. AND IS A VERY sore subject for me. I have been threatened(with bodily harm and/or being fired), grabbed, hit, had stuff thrown at me(coin change, drinks, old sandwich boxes) that customers had in their cars, clawed with really long fingernails, had dogs sicked on me, and all this is because they want free stuff and feel as customers they are entitled to it. Because of that CRAPPY age old adage of "the Customer is always right". I like the idea of places like Target and others that say you are not a Customer you are a Guest or a Patron. The saying is NOT the "Patron/Guest is always right" now is it? I really think that should be an idea used more often.

Time for a job change Yillara? :look:

Yeah, people are something.

I don't visit Wendy's too often because it is further away than McDonalds (okay I live in a small town where nothing is more than about 2-3 miles from where I live :bow: ) Anyway the cashier gave me a senior citizen discount - I wasn't sure if I should have been offended or not - I guess I really need to color my hair. :laugh:

I understand limiting the number of sauce packets, but if someone holds a gun to you and demands a few extra, I'd give them the few extra. Some how I think it would be cheaper for the company to give that guy a few sauce packets then having to pay medical bills for a gunshot wound.

I understand limiting the number of sauce packets, but if someone holds a gun to you and demands a few extra, I'd give them the few extra. Some how I think it would be cheaper for the company to give that guy a few sauce packets then having to pay medical bills for a gunshot wound.

But that isn't what happened - at least the article doesn't indicate that is what happened. They said the manager came to talk to him about not having more packets and the guy took out a gun and shot him. It is really a pathetic statement of our society to think the manager should have expected to be shot over chili sauce.